• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The Mean Green Scene Machine

Antony can you not see why i cant be bothered? Its taken me 2 days and ive still not got the downpipe off. It's just problem after problem after problem.

I cant get an angle grinder up there, being 6' 1 at 90kg i hardly fit under my car as it is. Would be easier for some experienced mechanics to get it up on the rams and heat the bolts up or whatever. Yes, i am a bad worksman. I have no mechanical experience with cars at all, this is my first car. Im clumsy and forgetful and have little patience. My dads off tomorrow so maybe hell help me try figure something out. Dont really want to take the whole manifold off etc as all those bolts are probably rusty too, and then ill need new gaskets and everything.

Barker said:
Antony can you not see why i cant be bothered? Its taken me 2 days and ive still not got the downpipe off. It's just problem after problem after problem.

I cant get an angle grinder up there, being 6' 1 at 90kg i hardly fit under my car as it is. Would be easier for some experienced mechanics to get it up on the rams and heat the bolts up or whatever. Yes, i am a bad worksman. I have no mechanical experience with cars at all, this is my first car. Im clumsy and forgetful and have little patience. My dads off tomorrow so maybe hell help me try figure something out. Dont really want to take the whole manifold off etc as all those bolts are probably rusty too, and then ill need new gaskets and everything.

I'm 6" 1' as well and I feel your pain every time I open the bonnet, but seriously don't get so down hearted we all hit problems I own 5 yes 5 buckled wheels all of which I really like but I'm trying to sort a solution to that problem.... The car owes me more blood and skin than money because of silly mistakes and like you I have next to no experience and I'm building an engine, why? Because if you don't try you'll never learn

I'm 6" 1' as well and I feel your pain every time I open the bonnet, but seriously don't get so down hearted we all hit problems I own 5 yes 5 buckled wheels all of which I really like but I'm trying to sort a solution to that problem.... The car owes me more blood and skin than money because of silly mistakes and like you I have next to no experience and I'm building an engine, why? Because if you don't try you'll never learn

See this was my thinking. I want to do as much as possible cause i do have a big interest in cars and its likely ill be modifying them all my life, but when it comes to problems like this i just think WHY!!!

hehe best thing to do is approach each job expecting the worst, and prepare for any eventuality. for example, i fitted a towbar to a rav4 yesterday, actually fitting the towbar should have taken 20-30 mins, easy on a rav if all the bolts are not seized. 3 came out with a fight, one stuck solid and ended up snapping off the captive nut in the chassis, Palmface!! but luckily i had my FailKit with me, grinder took care of the bolt, drill through the chassis and fit a long new bolt. took about 2 hours with the wiring. but as i was expecting it to go a bit pear shaped i made shure i had eaten before hand :D

keep plugging away, you will only get better :D

One more thing barker when I fitted my Lloyd system I had the help of a friend, without which it'd probably never got done :)

Getting the manifold off is not as bad as it sounds & if I were removing the first cat that would be how I would do it as I really hate the odd cat bolt they put wrong way up at the back.Then you can drop the whole lot through the bottom and play with it on the floor.You could probably re-use the gasket but a new one not from Nissan won't come to much.Before I do this I run the car for a few minutes so the nuts are hot & come off easy.Added benefit of the excitement of trying not to burn your fingers in the process ;) Oh and the heat shield bolts are usually shagged so mole grip/break/cut them off & dump the heat shield.
Doing exhausts lying under the car is a nasty job..I would much rather play with suspension :)

This the right gasket i need for my manifold? I dont reckon id get the manifold out underneath the car. Also do i not need my heatshield?

Drove it to a garage earlier with only half an exhaust. Poo'ed myself as i went past 2 ambulances one of which was the car one so i couldnt tell if it was cops or not and an actual police van that have the speed cameras in the back. Just glad shes in safe hands with someone who knows what they're doing. However the bloke lives down my street so wouldnt be surprised if he puts something in to make it quieter!

and the verdict is..............?
Sounds better in person!

Really like it, only thing that's disappointing is it goes silent at high revs. Get a nice little crackle when i let off sometimes, a few nic pops would be good though. Very pleased overall though, lovely rasp to it :)

Will try get an out of car video when i think of somewhere decent to do it.

Does it replace the manifold cat too? If it does I'm thinking of doing a Frank style cut and shut to my manifold if it does, way cheaper than £150 for the manifold and £150 for the exhaust :D

Knocking noise in the steering when reversing out of my spot in the car park at work past couple of days, sake. Also altenator belt is squealing more but no idea how to tighten it...

Now for sale!

£500 with rims and exhaust
£400 with exhaust
£300 Without both

No Mot probably just needs a CV joint to pass but i don't have the money or time to sort it
Also comes with Pete humphries 60mm lowering springs and a spare front wing with no rust.
Needs to go quick dads threatening to take it to the scrap.

All questions welcome, will get a proper thread up in the selling ares, thanks.

Back