• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The Blog of Glanza 2!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Well i picked her up today from Somerset and drove it back. The car is awesome! Mechanically standard at the moment but not missing a beat at all. Couple of minor dings on the drivers door, rear 1/4 and the roof but hoping to have those taken out soon. The central locking doesn't work correctly either, loose wire properley, but will look into that too.

Comes with the original japanese double DIN sat nav / stereo system which is awesome! God knows how you use it lol, probably doesn't work ok UK roads anyway. Has a Cd changer & mini disc support too.

The inside is really spotless. Rear seats look like they've never been used!

The bloke paid £5000 for it 8 months ago, and i picked it up today for £3000!

glanza2_01.JPG

glanza2_02.JPG

glanza2_03.JPG

glanza2_04.JPG

glanza2_05.JPG

glanza2_06.JPG

like i said on facebook mate looks smart but you could have washed her and you will have to do a photo shoot of mine

It was spotless when we picked it up, but the day started at 7am, got back home around 5pm. Had several errands to run and stuff to do so only managed to get a few quick photos. Washing a car after a very long day isn't on the top of my list :p but i'll do so soon and upload more photos.

Milage is 68,300.

I do have plans for the car, however due to my recent crash in my other one im just going to take my time with it. I lost a few no claims with the black one so don't want to go too overboard with the mods just yet. My black glanza is coming back to me (for £128!) and i plan to transfer some of the modifications over and keep the rest on standby to do a few months down the line.

I will be looking to fit alloy wheels to begin with though and fix the problems as described in my first post. There was something else which needed doing too..... oh the wheels vibrate at around 70mph, balancing or whatever needs checking :)

That thing looks freakin' new.

agreed! bet you aint dissipointed even though its a courlor you didnt want? :)

p.s i didnt know the later models got normal seats :)...i wasnt a fan of the bucket type ones in the early glanzas. but i think i preffer them over these normal style ones.

what are they like on power and what are they like on fuel because i'm looking for something sporty too

They're great on power. Plenty of poke on overtakes and on motorways, but can get it doing about 2000 rpm round towns too which must be good for fuel. You can run it in low boost mode too (0.4 bar i believe) but that'l soon be removed from mine.

Today i drove 160 miles in it and it only used 1/3 of a tank. That includes the air conditioning being on a lot of the time! Also, i was previously advised to only use super unleaded, however the current owner said he got opinions from lots of people and was told it was fine to run it on regular, which is what i filled it up with earlier. Seems ok to me, and 10p a litre cheaper than super.

I'l admit that silver wasn't my preferred colour, but seriously i love it now! It's grown on me loads. I think a set of black wheels would improve it's appearance loads too.

Tax is cheap as it's a 1.3

Insurance mine is £600, 5 years no claims with modifications included. This is based on my black glanza. Because i've made a claim, lost a few years ncb and have no modifications now, yet, i havent got a clue what its going to cost next April

Yeah wheels, and an A pillar dial holder with boost gauge will be my next modifications. I'd like to lower it, but cant decide if i'll do springs or coilovers.

it sounds abit silly but how much is a full tank on them and if i was going to buy one is there any problems with these cars like turbo or anything

check out the FAQ's etc on the toyotagtturbo.com forums and ask some questions on there.

Full tank im not sure. Put £30 in it earlier and it had 1/4 in it already

do you get any problems with these cars and i only have 3 people in my family. is there a lot of space in the back of the car mate

Today i drove 160 miles in it and it only used 1/3 of a tank. That includes the air conditioning being on a lot of the time! Also, i was previously advised to only use super unleaded, however the current owner said he got opinions from lots of people and was told it was fine to run it on regular, which is what i filled it up with earlier. Seems ok to me, and 10p a litre cheaper than super.

!!! Might need to get mine checked out! I get 180 miles out of £30 which is about 30mpg.... no matter how I drive it! My GT having done around 79,000 miles.

You'll soon get used to the power Arnold, I always run mine on 99 since I tend to be heavy right footed, but the main reason its its a lot more economical on 99 or so i find. Only 3p difference where I live.

Apparently low power doesn't save fuel as the engine has to work harder. Or so I've been told!

Apparently low power doesn't save fuel as the engine has to work harder. Or so I've been told!

Yeah i can imagine thats right. I changed it from 'high boost' to low and it just didnt feel as good to drive, so just left it on high, even though there isn't much difference between the two. In my black Glanza, no matter how little i seemed to put my foot down on the gas, it went into full boost! This one doesn't do that, but, it is standard! Maybe that's why it's so economical.

Mohammed, i've not been in the back yet hehe

Mines perfectly standard to, just very uneconomical!
The only downside with these cars is they don't handle very well stock!

My hi-lo switch does work, nail it in second and then press it and get an extra boost! Its my secret weapon switch lol!

Sounds like the boost solinoid was bypased on the black one. If this one has the 2 mode enabled, your restriced to low boost in 1st and 2nd to aid traction. Handy in the wet, but sucks in the dry.

I used to run 99 on mine, but I was putting 1 bar through it.

It literally takes 20 seconds to bypass the boost controller.

oh and what happed too "not finding another one at that price" ? :p. I told you so :p

alan, i would go for springs but thats me, ive been in a car with coilovers on early in the moring and its horriable, its somthing you dont want when you get up and travel to work llol, it used to take me 10minutes for my body to get used to it in the moring, everybump was painful on me lol.

dont get me wrong coilovers are great on tracks and looks. i just reckon there impractical on uk roads. there to stiff. another thing is there gonna be fitted and never adjusted.

uprated gas shocks and springs would be a better allrounder IMO. as you know there alot better drive. you have the comfort and ability to out handle most cars.

thats the way i see it :)

dan

It literally takes 20 seconds to bypass the boost controller.

That's where you swap the pipes over isn't it? Kev sent me a photo of what it should look like after it's been done.

oh and what happed too "not finding another one at that price" ? :p. I told you so :p

Oh your so right, but i was comparing like for like. The amount of modifications on the other one is well over £1000. This one is standard with none of them fitted, but it's still a great price, especially as he paid an extra £2000 for it only 8 months back!

You can put mods on anything, doing a facelift conversion would have probably been more expensive tbh.

yeah you swap the pipes over, pretty easy, and worth it.

yeah you swap the pipes over, pretty easy, and worth it.

I'll do it when i get my dump valve fitted :) I've noticed your old glanza registration is similar to my black one (if it means anything lol). Mine was P172 AYG.

alan, i would go for springs but thats me, ive been in a car with coilovers on early in the moring and its horriable, its somthing you dont want when you get up and travel to work llol, it used to take me 10minutes for my body to get used to it in the moring, everybump was painful on me lol.

dont get me wrong coilovers are great on tracks and looks. i just reckon there impractical on uk roads. there to stiff. another thing is there gonna be fitted and never adjusted.

uprated gas shocks and springs would be a better allrounder IMO. as you know there alot better drive. you have the comfort and ability to out handle most cars.

thats the way i see it :)

dan

Yeah maybe mate. The TRD Coilovers i had could be adjusted from inside the engine bay, from soft to hard. 8 Different settings, so it wouldn't be too uncomfortable. I may just settle for springs & shocks though, a cheaper alternative too.

Ah yes that's true! lol. Well springs & shocks it will be. I can always sell them on if i want something a bit harder. My K10 was rock solid and i loved it like that

A few people have said it's the first T reg Glanza they've ever seen! It's not all gravy at the moment though, the drivers door electric mirror will no longer retract, and not directly car related, my garage door is broken so i can't store it in there! D'oh.

trouble with all these electric bits there's more to go wrong! Need to get them all fixed first.

I've had quotes for new front & rear splitters & duck spoiler so looking to get those, along with wind deflectors, lowering springs/shocks (or coilovers) and new alloys with toyo tyres. I'm also getting my black glanza back for parts very soon.

what parts are going to take off it? After an accident like that, you will be smart to get them indipendantly checked if your thinking of putting some on, however id leave them coilovers alone, they have been involved in a serious accident :s

No i'm not keeping the coilovers, they're going on ebay. Things like the HKS actuator, HKS dump valve & HKS plugs & performance leads, I'd like to put on, induction kit looked fine. The rest I'd keep for spares, like the turbo and sell other bits off. Dials, speedo, spoiler, and whatever else is left over! :) Even the HDI front mount looked like it survived in one piece, it's just the pipe work that needs replacing.

i would fit the interior from the black glanza into the silver one :).

Nah i prefer the silver interior, & there's no blood on it lol.

hmm... just think arnold, if you get your old glanza back, strip the engine out of it and see who on here can stick it in a k10 or even k11......

now theres an idea!!

I've ordered some wind deflectors from Japan (£55), a boost & volt gauge (£60) and I really can't decide what to buy next. Need to save up a little so I can buy wheels/suspension, i'd love to get a front mount & exhaust system too. It's all down to money!!

I've also had quotes for a new front & rear splitter & duck spoiler. Can't remember if i've mentioned that in my blog yet. Might order those soon too.

Will probably fit my old pioneer head unit soon too & cd changer, and take out the Jap sat nav stereo and flog it. More pictures and stuff to come sometime

nice car,

my dad bought that exact model stereo to fit in his van, its rubbish, nothing works over here only the cd function, and you will need a band expander to even pick up the fm radio. my advise is to ditch it and fit a normal unit like you already plan to do.

other than that mint car for the money, well done.

No, they are the 98/99 spec rear lights that also have the clear brake light.

Just bought a second hand duck spoiler for £135 delivered. It's a standard toyota one so i can bolt it onto the tailgate rather than stick it on :)

Tell us when you are selling any parts please mate! And post the ebay links! Might want some of the bits for my GT.

I think at this rate, we'll need a section for Glanza/GT blogs lol!
I'd post some of mine, but currently i'm just getting it into good stock condition before I go further.
Basically cleaning, (it looked awesome but the camera took naff photos so i didn't post them :( ), full service, oil + filter, plugs, front and rear pads, air filter, etc. And fixing misc electric bits like the horn!

Do you use fully synth oil in yours?

Looks awesome mate, with regards to wheels, i reckon an anthracite/gunmetal or some other dark grey/silver would work much better than black.

Im interested in the Fox Evo 2 alloys for sale on the site. I used to have those on my K10 and i loved them! They're silver/gunmetal too.

Hyundai, picture above of the dashboard/steering wheel. Its on the right hand side next to the electric mirror controls. Can do a close up tomorrow if you want

Back