The Best Way To Tune Up Your K10 Micra

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
How do you do the inlet manifold?? I've already got a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold but have been looking into inlet for some time now. :) Cheers.

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Cut The Flange Off Your Standard Inlet And Have It Tig Welded (alloy Weld)onto An Vauxhall Nova 1.2 Manifold.its Best To Go Down To Your Local Scappy And Get These 2 Inlets Off Old Cars Not The Won You Are Using On The Road.
When Done This Mod Setup Will Be The Best You Will Find.
My Car When Set Up On The Rolling Road Made 110bhp At The Flywheel Over The Standard 55bhp...

Mark

Ex. Club Member
post some pictures and rolling road graph and more details to back up your claim the bob.

110bhp with a 1.2 nova carb? i dont think so but show us how you've done it.

O

ohc_turbo

50bhp more out of a ma is incredible if it is a accurate figure, nearly doubling the power, its like seeing a 300bhp N/A SR20DE Primera.

i would say it would be more like 90 and thats with custom inlet/carb, cam, major headwork, exhaust manifold, 2 1/4 exhaust

its fairly hard doubling the power of a turbo motor let alone a N/A

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
you can easy add 20bhp on by using a different inlet,standard inlets only have a 24mm ports were the carb sits mine is 36mm all the way though,,turbo are not the way to go with the ma12 n/a is best for this engine

O

ohc_turbo

post some pics up of the fabricated inlet, i know this is one of the major restrictions of the engine, have you done anything else ie headwork to get this figure

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
a sketch you ask don about my car (SP16)he will say mine is probly the fastest autograss class 2 micra in the country,,,
I was the 1st person to use an su carb on the grass in micra's back in 2000 then everybody started to put won on..

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
ohc_turbo said:
post some pics up of the fabricated inlet, i know this is one of the major restrictions of the engine, have you done anything else ie headwork to get this figure
its top secret give me your email addres and i will send you a pic off my engine

R

Rusty

I do hope someone posts some pictures up! Would imagine you would make a mint bobsp16 if you were to make some of these parts for us guys. :)

Mark

Ex. Club Member
yeah i've seen a inlet manifold almost identical to that on ebay before,

can the original fuel pump flow enough fuel for 110 bhp? are there any clearance issues with the bonnet?

where did you get this manifold made?

Attachments

• custom inlet ma12.jpg
    custom inlet ma12.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 2,821
OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Mark said:
yeah i've seen a inlet manifold almost identical to that on ebay before,

can the original fuel pump flow enough fuel for 110 bhp? are there any clearance issues with the bonnet?

where did you get this manifold made?
i made the inlet myself and there is no clearance probs and the fuel pump can cope,
but you must remember that this is a race engine and not standard to produce 110bhp @ flywheel
when i put the inlet up for auction on ebay nobody was interest in it

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
What else has been done to it then?? Don't suppose you would consider making them for us guys would you as I'm sure a few people would be interested in this, including me!!! :)

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
the engine was built by dave walker race engine services of newark notts (01636671277)its built to autograss class 2 rules spec
bottem end is all balanced with oversize piston of 0.5
the head is skimmed and the vavles are std with a 3 angle seat
std cam,std ports

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
What RPM did it make 110bhp at, And also what was the torque.
Dave waker does know his stuff, BUT I have to say this sounds unrealistic to me, the inlet manifold you have shown is better but its not great expecially for top end power. Its my belief you would need throttle bodies/carbs to get his power from this engine, as well as very extensive head work. Find me any car anywhere that is producing over 100bhp/litre on 2vpc engine, with a single carb.

An extremly (and I do mean extremely, insane cams, carbs headflowing very narrow power band etc) tuned 1.0 engine will make about 80foot/lb. Its not possible without forced induction to exceed this, and you would need to be making this torque at 7250 rpm to make 110bhp. Being slightly more (but not much) sensible at 75lb/foot, you would need to rev to 7800 rpm ish (for those who think yeah I can rev my engine that high, its not that simple its VERY hard to move peak torque up this high. A standard MA10 makes peak torque around 3600 rpm). All of what I have said are known facts of engine limitations.

If your able to prove otherwise feel free, but saying you have maid 110bhp from and engine with 14.6cc more than a normal MA10T and standard head IMO is impossible.

Ed

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Ed said:
What RPM did it make 110bhp at, And also what was the torque.
Dave waker does know his stuff, BUT I have to say this sounds unrealistic to me, the inlet manifold you have shown is better but its not great expecially for top end power. Its my belief you would need throttle bodies/carbs to get his power from this engine, as well as very extensive head work. Find me any car anywhere that is producing over 100bhp/litre on 2vpc engine, with a single carb.

An extremly (and I do mean extremely, insane cams, carbs headflowing very narrow power band etc) tuned 1.0 engine will make about 80foot/lb. Its not possible without forced induction to exceed this, and you would need to be making this torque at 7250 rpm to make 110bhp. Being slightly more (but not much) sensible at 75lb/foot, you would need to rev to 7800 rpm ish (for those who think yeah I can rev my engine that high, its not that simple its VERY hard to move peak torque up this high. A standard MA10 makes peak torque around 3600 rpm). All of what I have said are known facts of engine limitations.

If your able to prove otherwise feel free, but saying you have maid 110bhp from and engine with 14.6cc more than a normal MA10T and standard head IMO is impossible.

Ed

May I be the first to say...........

own3d :doh:

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
hmm, I dont want to come across harsh, but 110bhp is a BIG claim to make.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Said nothing about @ what RPM though, and most importantly a torque figure or better curve. I will admit however I'm VERY hard to convince on these things, even if I was shown a torque curve of 80lb@7000rpm i would believe it even less. I know that the ports on the MA series are quite oversized for their capacity, however they are NO WAY this good that you can get this gain from so little to what is the most important part of the engine.

Ed

AMY

Official MSC Trader
What size SU is it? did nova's come fitted with a SU standard? or is it off a metro or something?

Cheers
Amy

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Ok with a 0.5mm overbore thats 1252.7cc @ 6200rpm @ 110bhp. You can work out the torque from this:

bhp/(rpm/5252)=torque

110/(6200/5252)=93lb/foot

now to turn this into a meaningful value. 93/1.252 (engine capacity in L) =

74.4 ft/lb litre = impossible without MASSIVE and very extensive engine tuning.

If I take a well known performance engine from say a Porsche 911 (!) which to be fair IMO will still be in a higher state of tune than the MA12 (as no headwork has been done) this develops 66lb/foot/litre (2vpc engine) assuming that this is the same state of tune as the MA12 for comparison only you get the following power: 82lb foot say @ 6200 rpm which makes 96bhp@ fly. Regarless what I say does not affect how well the car peforms on the track, but unless you have some strange fuel etc high comp etc, imo your not near 110bhp.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Just too add this is the torque requied at 6200 RPM. NOT the max torque of the engine. The MA12 makes 68lb @ 3200 and only 56lb/ft@5600 rpm. At 6200 rpm on standard intake etc it would be even less.

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Ed said:
Just too add this is the torque requied at 6200 RPM. NOT the max torque of the engine. The MA12 makes 68lb @ 3200 and only 56lb/ft@5600 rpm. At 6200 rpm on standard intake etc it would be even less.
its not on standard intake though is it its massive,iam sorry ed but if you have never done this many mod to an ma12 you wont no,you do sound like you no your sums but iam telling you what my car puts out and thats that

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
dont get me wrong its _VERY_ nice to see that the MA12 is being developed, and its even better to have somone here who has done it. IMO others here should learn from you and do the same its very long over due. So in that sense its great that you have joined the forum to post, before I come over too critical thanks for doing so - you like everyone else is most welcome here. Oh and I have tried things with the MA12.. I welded a set of CBR600 carbs to an inlet manifold and gave it ago. Initial impressions were very good, however it did need jetting, but it sounded amazing.

5-IMG_4350.jpg

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Ed said:
dont get me wrong its _VERY_ nice to see that the MA12 is being developed, and its even better to have somone here who has done it. IMO others here should learn from you and do the same its very long over due. So in that sense its great that you have joined the forum to post, before I come over too critical thanks for doing so - you like everyone else is most welcome here. Oh and I have tried things with the MA12.. I welded a set of CBR600 carbs to an inlet manifold and gave it ago. Initial impressions were very good, however it did need jetting, but it sounded amazing.

5-IMG_4350.jpg
nice to see the carbs i have even seen R1 carb on ma12 but in my racing class we have to run all air/fuel mixture through a single intake hole size of 32mm restricter plate

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Yeah I was going to try R1 carbs, I just got these first. interesting comment on the restrictor plate. Im not famailiar with the class you race in.

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
Ed said:
Yeah I was going to try R1 carbs, I just got these first. interesting comment on the restrictor plate. Im not famailiar with the class you race in.
how do i insert pics in these boxes and i will put some more pics in

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,051
Nice Action.
What else have you had done to the engine?
Reprofiled cam?
Larger Valves? Or are they big enough?
Stronger Valve springs?
What about the con-rod bolts? Are they holding up okay?
Any problems with head gaskets?
Do you run standard oil pressure or higher?

Any information about the rest of the car?
Which box do you use? And how is it and the clutch holding out?
What about suspension setup? Do you use nova suspension? What about anti-roll bars?

Good to see the micra being used for some sort of motorsport at last. How competetive is it?

Craig

OP
OP
bobsp16

bobsp16

Site Supporter
the rules for this type of racing class is that the engine is and every part of the engine is standard std cam,std valves etc max amount of skimming of the head is 2% of the head thickness apart from manifold there free.
they have been used in autograss for the last 6/7 years

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
very interesting stuff chap hopfully this will help push the k10 engines to have some decent power, something no one on here has ever really sorted, without changing the engine.....

do you still have this inlet manifold? im intrested if you have PM me please ;)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
ill have to stick to my orginal plan then, which is twin webbers :D tee hee, i know kev did have these on his and got IIRC so dont start having a go! 75bhp at the wheels but it was very lumpy, is this correct kev? im sure if setup correctly it would be much better :)

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Yep that was correct Mat.

That was with the exhaust manifold and obviously custom inlet manifold for the carbs that was customised from the xr2i twin carb manifold and the standard k10 one. I think Howard (Slim) still has this.

Kev :)