• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The 1.3 Turbo Battle####

Start up is good. I think the tb has made quite a difference. No idle control is a bit annoying but hey. Seems to breath a lot better. More responsive, still need to test it on the road.

i would prefer a smaller t/b personally chris, because even tho the inlet mani is running vacuum most of the time there is usually positive pressure in the chargepipe (and the throttleplate is holding back that pressure)
which means that the throttle is in more of a closed position compared to non-turbo, and that gives less resolution on the pedal
ie, n/a is basically 1/2 throttle = 1/2 power, full throttle = full power etc
where,as turbo is full power with 1/4 throttle or more (because the boost is getting pushed through the throttleplate regardless of how wide it is opened)
the idle control needs tweaking when you delete the i/c/v, so that the idle ign timing is about 5 deg when warm, and that allows the ecu to advance it to 20 deg @ idle when cold, to stop it stalling :)

Yeah I did think that the larger dia would make it rush faster and become all or nothing. I was curious what it would do for lower end. How do you tweak it frank? Cause the valves gone eh? Adjusting the timing manually?

I guess bringing up the revs using the screw. I was worried that deleting the icv would effect the map... Didn't want it playing havoc with the map and under boost running lean or not enough retard.

i use the data lead chris, and sync the ecu to the strobe, and then adjust the throttle screw so that the ecu pulls the timing back to 5 deg @ idle when hot
then when you start up from cold it will advance it to 20+ to stabilise the idle

I am making the car presentable... Job interview lined up... They want me to take he car in... :D I warned them it was a "development" car. Aka looks like a dogs dinner haha.
uploadfromtaptalk1424718420686.jpg
more soon.

Ta frank. Guessing that is what happens usually then when the icv is functioning?
Dont think so Chris, the waxstat and icv are the primary modes of idle controls, and the timing changes are
a last resort, the downside is that you get a mad diesel sound if its very cold :)

This worries me. I now fear that this will effect the map and blow the engine under boost. I may revert to the old setup.
Nah the ecu is synced with the dizzy mate, its still running 50 deg at cruise and 20deg under load/boost, its only the idle that is affected,
I think Pa(polly)ul gets diesel crack on cold startup too

Oh, fair I thought it may alter the base timing and nistune will work off that. Diesel crack? Lol never hear of that.
aye a proper growl :) you can hear it with the drivers window down, but it sounds f/kin horrendous through my ghetto det detecting stethoscope :D (plastic tube that runs down the a pillar and across to the back of the engine)

P2230520.JPG

aye a proper growl :) you can hear it with the drivers window down, but it sounds f/kin horrendous through my ghetto det detecting stethoscope :D (plastic tube that runs down the a pillar and across to the back of the engine)

View attachment 40097
haha lol, reckon its det'ing then? at idle?

Ofcourse you would have a ghetto bloody det detector :D Was thinking about making one, dont know how, but did some reading on it.

its pinking really, but similar to det
my motorbike com setup was ok but batteries n wires n stuff, this is very simple and trouble free, and you can use it to listen for boost leaks and checking the bov etc,
its more for peace of mind tho tbh, when i rag the car i fit it to my ears and if it all sounds sweet when being ragged its very reassuring :)

You going to be painting up and around the roll cage? The roof looks a right pain in the ass..

Also, spraying or brushing?
The whole car got done three years back. Just touching up this time. Spraying and brushing tbh. I first did it back then by brush as it needed a thick coat. This time round its just cleaning up. That's a lie I have taken a lot back with welding the cage and rails In. So will do a bit of both.

Na just straight over the feet of the cage. The powder coating was coming away so it needed a coat. Did it in situe to make life easy.

Ah... It took me near a week of going over and over. Would be easier and less time of painted white however. Depends on what base colour the car is. Mine was white.. So painting it black was a pain. Black hides dirt better... Plus, I love hammerite. Will be painting the whole car black I think. The shell is starting to show rust.

Ah... It took me near a week of going over and over. Would be easier and less time of painted white however. Depends on what base colour the car is. Mine was white.. So painting it black was a pain. Black hides dirt better... Plus, I love hammerite. Will be painting the whole car black I think. The shell is starting to show rust.

Haha you're never going to stop and just enjoy it :p

I'll strip and paint the inside at the end of this year then, cba to do it now

Haha you're never going to stop and just enjoy it

I'll strip and paint the inside at the end of this year then, cba to do it now
Lol I can't, something always needs to be done. I like to be on top of it, painting the various bumper bits, grills and bonnet today. Its development, plus now the cage has gone in I can't be arsed doing it to another shell so best make this nice. Next time installing the cage will be easier I reckon as I have had practice. Got the other rally shell in the garden to be attacked soon.

Lol I can't, something always needs to be done. I like to be on top of it, painting the various bumper bits, grills and bonnet today. Its development, plus now the cage has gone in I can't be arsed doing it to another shell so best make this nice. Next time installing the cage will be easier I reckon as I have had practice. Got the other rally shell in the garden to be attacked soon.

Mines functional and working... But not too pretty.

Yours will be a badass race car :p

Mines functional and working... But not too pretty.

Yours will be a badass race car :p
badass race car... lol i wish. If anything, ever since I got the matt humphries suspension the car has been competitive. look forward to getting her out there this year and having a play. Still need to learn how to drive the car first eh :D well learn how to drive to be honest with you.

I am thinking about a half dash and another half lol. So only thre drivers side, and only the top platform. anyone had any experiance?

badass race car... lol i wish. If anything, ever since I got the matt humphries suspension the car has been competitive. look forward to getting her out there this year and having a play. Still need to learn how to drive the car first eh :D well learn how to drive to be honest with you.

What racing you going to be doing? Sprint, rally, track?

here,s the idle running at 3 deg chris, then when i switch the lights on it jumps to 13 deg and then fluctuates at about 7 deg
then drops back down to 3 deg when i switch the lights off :)

you need to screw it out for the ecu to pull the timing back then :)
I had a go and no avail! I wonder why. I will ram it back next time and see what happens. I do remeber ed putting the car on a very safe map, i wonder if this is a sign of it?

I had a go and no avail! I wonder why. I will ram it back next time and see what happens. I do remeber ed putting the car on a very safe map, i wonder if this is a sign of it?
i doubt it chris, did you blip the throttle after opening the idle screw a bit ?
here,s mine after it has cooled down a bit (idling at 20 deg)

Back