• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

The £80 Micra

Updated my blog, got rid of a lotta sh** to make the whole thing a bit more concise. The original version of this post is July 2017 but it is now June 2019 and I am updating.

Owned the car since June 2016 so its been 3 years. Here's what I have done so far:

Performance:
1. 1.4 Inlet Cam - Made a HUGE difference to the power. Gear 3 felt like gear 2, so much more torque, well worth doing mod. I stuck with just the
inlet, as putting the exhaust cam in as well pushes the powerband way too high for my liking. So I reverted back to the stock exhaust cam. For
reference, stock 1.0 cams are 196 deg, 5.56mm, 1.4 cams are 222deg, 7.46mm.
2. GA16 Airbox and CAI Routed to Front Grille - Made the throttle slightly more responsive and a slightly nicer deeper note.

Interior:
1. Painted Quite a Bit Black
2. Blue Interior Lights
3. Rev Counter Instrument Cluster - gotta know what rpm I'm doing dude.
4. Full Sound System - Pioneer 4-Way Door Speakers, Standard Speakers In Parcel Shelf, A Pillar Tweeters. It already had a nice Sony Xplod headunit.

Exterior:
1. 35mm Lowering Springs - One of the best beginners handling mods; a must have mod, it reduces body roll so much and of course is slightly
pleasing to look at a lowered car. A before and after is below.
2. White Sidelights, Headlights and Registration Lights
3. Black Headlight Inserts - Joey Mod
4. Wheel Spacers - Fat ones at the back along with 185/55/14's. Really wanted aggressive stance, so I went and got it. Extended studs were required.
5. Painted Brake Calipers and Drums Blue - don't really know why since the trims cover them up anyway, but I'm sure blue calipers give 5hp!
6. Sprayed tyre shine on all grey exterior plastic trim, makes it look like new, although has to be done roughly once a month. Works well on black trim as well e.g side mirrors, tailgate handle, scuttle panel.
7. Chrome Surround Rear Registration Plate - Removed this eventually.
8. Retro Style Center Caps - Removed these eventually and put the standard Nissan wheel trims back on.

I am keeping the exterior pretty standard apart from these subtle mods.

Here's some photos.

unnamed (15cc).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Before and after the 35mm springs - looks a heck of a lot more smarter now, like the stock height of most modern cars. Expect the springs to settle within a couple of weeks, especially the back.

unnamed (18).jpg
unnamed (11cc).jpg

Last edited:
Then there was the whole double crash episode.

So I crashed in Dec 2016, within 6 months of having the car. It wasn't reaaallly my fault, wasn't speeding etc although I should've been more cautious to brake in time for the idiot that pulled out on me. Airbag popped and both seatbelts locked up so new seatbelts and steering wheel and airbag ECU module were required, on top of the body damage. Car was running ace though!

Then two years later in Sept 2018, someone hit and run my car while it was parked. At least the airbag didn't deploy this time. Car was running ace yet again! I love this car too much to get rid of it, so this time I bought a donor Micra for £190 in the same colour as a cheaper alternative for parts. I am currently breaking this to make back some of the money I lost in repairing my Micra, although I am actually currently on a profit!

First:

iPhone Photos 578.JPG

iPhone Photos 580.JPG

Second:

IMG-3019.JPG

IMG-3022-min.JPG

Its safe to say my family were not happy with how the driveway was looking!

Last edited:
I have updated my blog, got rid of a lotta sh** to make the whole thing a bit more concise, as I am getting it a bit more serious now and want to turn this into a project. I have wanted to do a project for so long but I haven't for fear of things going wrong and it being expensive, but I am just biting the bullet and going for it. I know I'll regret it if I don't, and a Micra is the perfect car to do a project on.

1. Engine - I have decided to go down the CGA3 route; the CG10 just isn't cutting it for me. I have a tidy CGA3 sourced, only 40,000 miles on it, serviced annually, and one old lady driver. MOT history is flawless. Her kind husband is the one who is removing it for me. I am retaining the original CG10 clutch, gearbox and flywheel for the shorter ratio, plus CG10 flywheels are lighter than CGA3 flywheels.

2. ECU - CG10 ECU will be replaced with CGA3 ECU - the CG10 ECU will run the CGA3 but I'd rather do things properly. I'll stick with having one key to start the car and one to open/close the doors, as I can't be bothered changing all the locks.

3. Cams - I have sourced a high-lift inlet cam (250deg, 9mm); putting the 1.4 inlet cam into the 1.0 was too good, and so I want to replicate this sort of thing with the CGA3.

4. Injectors - I am putting QG15 injectors in.

5. Induction - The GA16 airbox and CAI routed to front grille from my existing setup will also be moved over.

6. Mintex M144 Pads - Seems silly and dangerous not to do this given the above, plus Micra brakes are terrible unless you're an expert at using them, i.e using brakes effectively on a car that has no ABS.

The end goal is 0-60 in just under 7 sec. I am cautious on how the CG10 gearbox and clutch will cope with this, so I will need to look into this. Apparently the CG10 clutch and gearbox are fine up to 100bhp?, so I will be cutting it close.

I aim to sell all my old and existing parts - CG10 bare block, ancillaries off the CGA3, CG10 ECU, CG10 injectors. I probably won't make a profit from this, like I did with the second crash lol, but the idea is to minimise the blow to the bank account. Also, the donor Micra that featured earlier in my blog still has its CG10 engine and gearbox, which are for sale if anyone wants, plus a lot of other parts from it are still for sale!

Do not fear, I will eventually get some proper management from Mark to run this more reliably. This will probably be the final step in getting under the 7 sec goal. Will update my blog over the next few weeks to keep track of progress. Any questions on anything I am doing or how I did something, just give me a shout as I love everything car related!

Ooh and one last thing; if anyone has a lightened flywheel for sale, do give me a shout please.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I know how it is to work hard on something and then have it damaged in an accident/hit and run because someone selfishly wants to drive drunk or on the phone or whatever, good to see that you've been able to keep it going though

on your mention of the 1.4 inlet cam, are you going to be keeping hold of it? it'd be a great addition to my 1.0 which I plan on replacing with intent of track use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Micra Sports Club mobile app
Hi,

I have a spare 1.4 inlet (which I used in my CG10) which I have already agreed to sell to someone on this forum, sorry!

In regards to the 1.4 inlet that will be coming out of the CGA3 to put the higher lift one in, my plan was to keep hold of it for a few days after the swap is done, until I am sure I'm happy with the higher lift one. If I am, then I can sell it to you.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I have a spare 1.4 inlet (which I used in my CG10) which I have already agreed to sell to someone on this forum, sorry!

In regards to the 1.4 inlet that will be coming out of the CGA3 to put the higher lift one in, my plan was to keep hold of it for a few days after the swap is done, until I am sure I'm happy with the higher lift one. If I am, then I can sell it to you.

Hope that helps.
ah there's always someone there first! well if you're satisfied with the new one, I'm only a pm away. cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

As planned, the CGA3 is in! My original clutch was knackered but the engine I bought luckily came with a relatively brand new clutch, so this was used. The lighter CG10 flywheel was used. The car is now blisteringly fast and this new engine is so smooth compared to my old one! The gear changes are also fluid due to the new clutch. Feels like a completely new car.

1. Fueling - The QG15 injectors were a straight fit onto the CGA3 fuel rail as expected. Overall, in terms of fuel economy, I haven't really felt significant change but maybe 30 miles less on a tank.

2. ECU - ECU hasn't been changed yet, but the CG10 ECU does seem to be doing a good job, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know what pointers there are to suggest a bad map. I probably will change the ECU after I come back from holiday though, just because I already have a CGA3 ECU and people on here have said the CGA3 ECU is better, so it makes sense to change it.

3. Cams - The high lift inlet cam has arrived but not yet fitted, will also get around to this after my holiday.

4. Induction - The GA16 airbox from my existing set up was moved over but I have ditched the 'ram air' intake routed to front grill, and just put the standard Primera air pipe back on. I just think 'ram air' isn't realistically going to do much unless your going more than 200mph.

I am genuinely astonished as to how quick the car already is, and just can't wait to get the correct ECU in and get the cam in! Although my CG10 was a mighty engine and will be missed dearly, I do kind of wish I put a CGA3 in 3 years ago when I first got the car. I ended up selling the CG10 on so hopefully it will live on to power another Micra or Mini etc.

Here's a pic of the engine as I bought it. It is quite easy to lift if you have two people, and can be lifted by one strong person so maybe around 80kg total weight. It went straight in my boot. Maybe I'll upload more pics in a few days, but unsure what to take a photo of to be honest; the engine bay looks exactly the same except for some red injectors lol...

IMG_E8179.JPG

Last edited: