Temperature problems...

Hi all... Its been along long time but im back with a micra!
We moved to Spain recently and I found a low millage K11 with 1 owner, its got about 50,000 km on the clock and a good service history. It runs great! and is obviously rust free being in Spain.

When I brought it the mechanic noticed it was getting hot, so he changed the radiator and water pump. Ive done about 500km and have noticed that when driving at around 120km the temp gauge climbs up, but as soon as I back off the throttle the temp goes down to normal. It hasnt gone into the red but will sit at about 3/4 on the temp gauge.
Its also worth noting that its 35 degrees Celsius outside.

I'm thinking maybe thermostat or temp sender unit? What do you suggest, is it worth replacing these?
No signs of HG issues and temp does seem directly connected to speed im driving at.

Its good to have a micra again!

P.s it a 1.0litre manual from 1997.

Id just replace the thermostat and sender unit to know they are good. To be fair id already replaced them if i had to to the rad and water pump as you have to drain the coolant for that and the thermostat and sender unit are cheap.

This is as hot as it's got..

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_145433.jpg
    IMG_20200629_145433.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 182
COuld be sticky thermostat, that's sticking closed

Could also be a timing issue, mine ran hot when the timing was too advanced. 1997 has a distributor which is adjustable, the later ones don't

COuld be sticky thermostat, that's sticking closed

Could also be a timing issue, mine ran hot when the timing was too advanced. 1997 has a distributor which is adjustable, the later ones don't

All the dizzy's have a adjustable distributor. You cant change the timing on the coilpack engines. But can on the dizzy.

Thanks for that, never even crossed my mind that it could be a timing issue! Ill change the temp sender first, see what happens and then look at thermostat. After that ill investigate the timing and probably a compression test.

Will keep post updated.
Cheers
J

Oh dear.... I think this is more than an airlock!
Spent the day having a proper look at the car, decided to bleed the system and I have some small bubbles in radiator - especially with aircon on. No oil or water mixing but seems like a small exhaust gas leak :(

Must admit the car is in such good condition I do not mind throwing a few hundred at it.... aslong as that sorts it out! Really enjoying driving around in a K11 again :)

frank

Club Member
i blew a few head gaskets and never had oil in the water or water in the oil
its a myth because there are no oil galleries near the bores, there are many water galleries near the bores tho
hence the exh gas sniffers that many garages use to diagnose a blown head gasket