tachometer??

hi, my friend and i have been doing some basic mods to his 1.0 micra,

we have fitted a performance air filter (He wanted it)
fitted a cheep cd player for now.
fitted 2 new rear speakers.

but what he wants done now is a tachometer fitted.

he wants one with a shift light (he has watched the fast and the furious, 2 fast 2 furious and tokio drift.)

how hard will it be to fit, seeing as my friend has limited experience under the bonnet as do i but i still do the work.

can you give me basic photos of what things need doing (eg what wire goes where and what i can tap into for power.

any help is much apreciated (spelling)

and i will try my best to help anyone out if i can.

jackassuk

any chance of a photo of where the coil is, and what wire?

anyone got a diagram of the coil?

and where the wire for the illumination will go?

positive is just on somthing like the switch live on the headunit?

thanks for giving me the basics as i now feel alot better at fitting it now

also how will i get the wire from the coil into the dash and then to the tachometer?

jackassuk

easier than a cheap london prostitute, 3 wires, positive, illumination and one wire to the negative terminal on the coil

cant say ive ever tried but this isnt always the case. some tachometers are a sod (6 wires with instructions for only 4 of these and some wires are same colour, etc) and things get blown up. so make sure u buy one which isnt stupid

can you suggest a good tachometer with a shift light (i dont think he will use it but he wants it)

and can anyone give me a copy of how to fit one??

i know there probs is instructions in the kit but i would like to figure out how to fit onw before he purchases it.

also Photos would be handy:
*Where is the coil
*where do i connect the blue (Rev) cable
*what do i connect the illuminate cable to??

Thanks

jackassuk

Ive seen information on where to fit the rev counter wiring on here before. Do a search, you might find something! :)

27.search.gif

i have looked and its very confusing.

there are posts saying one thing then posts saying another.

what i think i have to do is, if get a tachometer with 4 wires

Live (goes to live switched)
neutral (goes to earth)
Tachometer counter (goes to negative side of coil)
illumination (goes to side lights or dash backlight)

and if it has 3 wires its
live (goes to live switched)
neutral (goes either to ground or the negative side of coil)
illumination/tachometer counter (goes to dash backlight or negative side of coil)

is this right.

i will study the instructions if we do go ahead with mod.

jackassuk

If it has three wires, i would have assumed that the 'live' goes to the coil & Illumination runs off a positive 12V feed, such as sidelights etc as you've mentioned.

thats or not and.

so it could be either
the illumination feed (dash backlight)
tachometer counter (negative side of coil)

but there are also people saying wrap the sensor cable around the ht leads?

willl that work?

You shouldnt use the HT leads to get a rev counter reading. Just use the coil, far more reliable and probably accurate.

ok, thanks for the help.

how much would a tachometer with a shift light cost??

is £30 inc delivery too cheep or about average.

it will probs be bought from ebay.

jackassuk

on ebay the 30-45 quid ones are just fine, i dunno if the k11 has a coil, some cars hav a 'distributorless system' there will be a rubber grommet next to the fusebox through the bulkhead into the car, it must be connected to the coil cos the HT leads kick out 20000 volts, illumination comes off the light in the back of the heater controls, earth on the steering column that means only 1 or 2 wires into the engine bay. I have a k10 so i cant get pics cos i dunno how similar they are.

just another point, if your car is a facelift you should be able to pick up the rev signal at the back of the speedo clocks (if you have a rev counter or not). blue n black wire, pin 19.

if you got pre-facelift then i think u gotta go n get it off that wire in the engine bay that every1 talks about. :)

ok, i know nothing about the car realy.

i think somware in its name was celebration.

will have to get onto friend and ask.

i have found a tachometer with 3 wires, and a chrome pod.

comes to about £15 in total, but that only on bids.

so if we look behind the guages and there is a blue and black wire then we are good??

if we do have them cables what would i connect the green cable to??? (from tachometer)

and the black cable (from the tachometer)

i know you guys must think im a N00b but to be honest i am somewat of a noob

but im a noob that thanks you very much for your help.

jackassuk

EDIT:

if this helps this is a photo

THIS IS NOT WHAT THE MICRA LOOKS LIKE THE FRONT IS DIFFERENT
on the one my mate has when you pop the bonnet the nissan badge goes up with the bonnet.

i stole this pic to try and show you what the micra isnt.
untitled.bmp

THIS IS NOT WHAT THE MICRA LOOKS LIKE THE FRONT IS DIFFERENT
on the one my mate has when you pop the bonnet the nissan badge goes up with the bonnet.

if the "nissan badge" is attached to the bonnet then it is a "facelift" :blush:

not that this really helps a great deal, except the pic you found is not the correct micra your friend has which u did explain

napster

ok thanks. i was thinking it was the otherway round. his was pre facelift.

thats ok, now we just need to dismantle his dash.

easy to do???

or is it a sledghammer to loosen it off a bit?

Thanks

jackassuk

thats a prefacelift, you will need to get the rev signal from the engine bay :( theres a lot of pictures on here of which wire it is if you search.

as for what this wire and that wire does, does it not say in the instructions? danm aftermarket rev counter. personally id just get super-s/sr clocks and wire up the rev feed to them, such easier.

that pic is of what the car isnt.

so the opposit of that pic is what my friend has,

his has the nissan badge that is attached to the bonnet

jackassuk

that pic is of what the car isnt.

so the opposit of that pic is what my friend has,

his has the nissan badge that is attached to the bonnet

jackassuk

ok, take off the speedo clocks cowling cover thing (two screws at bottom, one left hand side of steering wheel other on right).

then take out the screws for the clocks (three screws).

take out the plug at the back. the clocks will go dead however you will NOT loose your mileage.

try and take the actual plug out of the plug housing without snapping anything.

look at pin 19, if it is present (i think its blue and black) then you can tap into this wire for the rev signal.

hope this helps.

if you dont know what a coil looks like or where it is id advise you to get someone else to do it before you make a fire.

i know what one looks like its just where it is,

anyway i will try the pin 19 bit first then i will have to go from there.

doing this will not cause an MOT failure will it?

just got to shake him by the ankles to get the money.

Cheers

jackassuk

is your nissan badge attached to your bonnet??

if it is then there should be a wire behind the dash

if not then its pre facelift and you need to fit it to the coil.

jackassuk

is your nissan badge attached to your bonnet??

if it is then there should be a wire behind the dash

if not then its pre facelift and you need to fit it to the coil.

jackassuk
it wont make my clocks blow will it i swear i read on here some did it then there clocks went sizzle sizzle
yes the badge is on the bonnet
this is my one

and one of the engine

yeah that'd be my clocks. and you wont fry them. i did something exceptionally stupid (put the block connecter back onto the clocks the wrong way round).

right, had a go at it,

there waws a wire connected to pin 19 but it wasnt blue and black
it was blue and gray, tried it anyway, but it seems that the tachometer isnt getting enough power or is duff

i connected it to the switched live that the sterio connects to (wright or wrong?)

and then black to ground

the green to the cable on pin 19

and the illuminate not connected at this point.

however there was no reaction. so i connected the illuminate to the sterio live and the light was very dull.

if i did this wrong please tell me how to do it.

i looked and i cant seem to find the coil, however there is a little capacitor thingy that ges inbetween the distributer and the wiring, it has a green wire on it.

we will be having another shot at this tomorow and will post pics if needed.

thanks

jackassuk

right, browsing through the rev counter installations on this fourm

i found a pic that might help me

hmm.bmp

hmm2.bmp

so is it a blue wire or green??

i dont know as i dont have the micra to hand at this point.

ok this is how i tested my rev counter (may not be recommended so wait for furthur replies).

do not cut any wires!!!!!
take clocks off again so u got the block plug. shove the metal end of the rev signal wire into the hole for pin 19 (so its contacting the wire thats in there without having to cut it, as this is only a test).

shove the +12v wire into pin 20, this is +12v when ignition is on. again DO NOT CUT wire.

hold the earth wire (metal end) against some chassis metal or something.

turn on enigne. if its dead, rev counter is fubard.

EDIT(important): my post doesnt make sense, only makes sense to me lol. maybe best if you dont try it.

makes sense to me

so connect the rev wire to pin 19, then connect live to pin 20 then ground it and if it doesnt work the tachometer is ####ed.

oh and DONT CUT ANY CABLES

:p

will give it a go, if it doesnt work will make him eat his hat!!!

(my friend that is, seeing as he says it isnt dodgey )

Hey all,

Thought i'd sign up seeming up until yesterday i thought it cost money to post lol :S.

Baically i'm the one with the micra and the tachometer and jackass is me m8 well up until this hat is ;)

Anyway jsut thought i'd say hi and if anyone knows of any good back boxes online pm me :)

Cheers Shr3k

Got it in and working.

pin 19 didnt seem to work :S

so we connected it to the blue wire that goes into the DIZZY
then through the firewall, under the dash and finaly into the tachometer.

heres some pics to help someone later on

DSC00216.JPG

DSC00215.JPG

jackassuk

yea, no worrys mate.

its working, thats all that matters.

now its just fitting new head unit, amp, subwoofer, and new speakers. :S

oh and a general tidy up.

it has a roar to it without having a new back box fitted.

thats with only a new air filter :p

why are clear side repeaters soo expensive???

all it is is a peice of plastic.

cheepest we have seen is like £16

jackassuk

FYI you're supposed to go through the rubber grommets not around them, as you drive and the wire vibrates against the metal the insulation will strip and sparks/fire will occur, i made the mistake with my amp. Also some tachometers read at twice the revs until you install a shunt resistor so watch out for that.

Hey all,

As jackass said we managed to get the tachometer working only problem is me dad won't let me have a go!

Anyway cheers for that ollie i will re thread the wire in a sec i thought you had to go around the grommet as well lol, another day where ive learn't yet another thing lol :D

Cheers all for the help though, tbh with the pin 19 my car doesn't seem right as it is. I think there may have been some serious parts savaging going on with my car because everything seems odd, 1998 parts and 2002 parts yet its a 2000 model :S.

Anyway cheers all,

Anyone know where i can get some cheap side repeaters and acoustic cloth ideas?,

Cheers

Shr3k

FYI you're supposed to go through the rubber grommets not around them, as you drive and the wire vibrates against the metal the insulation will strip and sparks/fire will occur, i made the mistake with my amp. Also some tachometers read at twice the revs until you install a shunt resistor so watch out for that.

thats allright, seeing as this isnt my car i dont mind :p

we will probs be running a power feed to the boot for an amp.

will i just connect this to the battery?? or what?

i like to know how to fit things before we have to so i can prepare for a long haul if needs be.

also it seems to be showing the correct revs, it idles at about 1000.

jackassuk

you have a ring terminal to the battery then a fuse within 6 inches of tht, then you get the wire into the car and run it down the passenger side usually then into the boot, make sure you get the correct gauge wire or there will b flames.

by ring terminal do you mean a electrical connector that i can slip over a bolt and then put a nut on over top.

wil going to halfords and saying i want some amp powere cable bee any good???

shr3k doesnt have the amp yet so we will investigate more when he gets nearer to getting one.

thanks..
jackassuk

what you need is an amp wiring kit, they are about £20 and have everything you need, you must get one tht suits your amp. if you tell me what amp you have (when you get it) I'll tell you everything you need, if you want I can write you a full amp wiring guide.
HTH

Anyone know where i can get some cheap side repeaters and acoustic cloth ideas?,
Clear side repeaters can be got from ebay for under £20:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Micra-...ryZ14763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Acoustic Carpet or cloth can also be got from ebay, for about £7 delivered. I used these guys and they delivered very quickly:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anthracite-Ac...ryZ36678QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure what you are planning to do with the cloth, but here is a DIY job for a stealth shelf that I made, if you are interested. It's for a K10, but it'd work for a K11 too.

http://micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=15731

just another point, if your car is a facelift you should be able to pick up the rev signal at the back of the speedo clocks (if you have a rev counter or not). blue n black wire, pin 19.

(hi!)

In that case, it also be possible to buy an old dashboard from a crashed Micra K11 facelifted with an original & integrated tachometer. (And install it :laugh: ) fwn

Isn't right ?

I'm looking for doing the same think, but on my Micra, there's nothing where you have the coil. Because of ...:
- It's a N.CVT ?
- It's a left-hand driving ?
- I'm French ? :down:
- All three ? :eek:
I suppose mine is facelift, K11 of 2001. 1,0l N.CVT.

(Please, don't ask me why I wondering install a tachometer in a car equipped with a constantly variable transmission. I'm unable to explain, that in English).

Tanks. :blush:

Hey !

News :

I stopped looking for a dashboard with integrated tachometer, and bought an 3 wire tash.

For memory, i'v got a Micra K11 Facelifted from 2001, n.CVT, no coil.

I plugged this morning red cable on Pin 20, green on 19 and black on chassis :
The tachometer illuminates but no more thing.

On the mounting instructions, it's written that when ON (without starting engine), the tach may indicates 1000 rpm, and them go back to 0. But nothing on mine.

(It's also written that the orange cable goes to illuminate signals, but no orange wire on the tach's back. :suspect: )

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help.
(If you know how to find a dash with tach .... :love: )

any chance of a photo of where the coil is, and what wire?

anyone got a diagram of the coil?

and where the wire for the illumination will go?

positive is just on somthing like the switch live on the headunit?

thanks for giving me the basics as i now feel alot better at fitting it now

also how will i get the wire from the coil into the dash and then to the tachometer?

jackassuk
hi what about the one with four coilpacks how to fit tachometer

Back