• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Swiper's Blog.

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
here's some work in progress pics of exhaust.
11112007283.jpg

11112007284.jpg

11112007285.jpg

11112007286.jpg

boy i wish we could have pics in sigs :(
swiper2copy.jpg

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
here's the pics of the new intake. it's a little larger than i thought it would be. about 3" diameter pipe and also longer than i'd hoped for aswell. it required a little modding to get it to sit right, bending brackets and moving battery as far forward as possible on the tray. i might try and shorten the length down a tad. it seems to have made a noticable difference though. pics up well and also sound awsome.

with the filter it came with

13112007289.jpg

with my stainless steel mesh filter (same dimensions)

13112007290.jpg

13112007291.jpg

here's the link i got it from. it's taken less than one week from germany. top seller :). shipping was 13euros. it's possible to get them a bit cheaper than the £56 i paid all in, but i used buy it now cos i couldn't wait 9 days for auction.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280170444576&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
been on rolling road today for power run. went with the npoc to RE performance in bury. the dyno only gave whp figures and didn't calculate bhp at the fly. well it acheived 79bhp at the wheels. using this site for reference. http://www.dyno-power-run.com/dynocalc.shtml
it got near as damn it 99bhp at the flywheel. that's an increase of 25bhp or almost 34%, which equates to about 116bhp per tonne. i'm happy with that.
i'll try and upload a vid of it. and try and scan the print out.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
was a good day :) ran a helthy 70+ at the wheels and near 100bhp at the fly...really seems to pull strong with the new exhaust and 'tuned' length filter ;)

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
with a janspeed manifold, exhaust, and induction kit it only managed 79bhp??? or am i getting confused!!! and its a 1.3 SI YOU HAVE?

cars look great by the way!!!

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
with a janspeed manifold, exhaust, and induction kit it only managed 79bhp??? or am i getting confused!!! and its a 1.3 SI YOU HAVE?

cars look great by the way!!!
thats 79 at the wheels ;). the power at the fly is about 99bhp
and yeah 1.3 Si

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
where did you have your's dyno'd at 100bhp?

the standard figure of 74bhp is quoted from the flywheel. then there's the transmission loss.

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
where did you have your's dyno'd at 100bhp?

i havent :glance: (an educated guess from beating a 106 rallye phase 1) but i would like to!

but i was just wondering what the actual increase was for you with those parts? whether it was 4bhp, which i cant believe it is, as it should be more!!!

cheers

now i understand. wow...awesome!!!!! 99 at the fly is top job!!!!

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
i was looking back at what antony got when he had his dyno'd and he only got about 75.5bhp at the hubs (which is different to @ wheels because it doesn't take into account wheel weight, inertia or tyre pressures etc.), ed guessed about 70bhp at the wheels.which is around 89bhp at the flywheel.
i got more than this because of heat wrapped manifold to cat, then 2" mandrel bent custom exhaust and possibly induction pipe?

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
ok!!
well, well done on the result!
i just didnt know that the standard 75bhp was at the fly!!! confused the hell out of me as you could tell ( ^ above )

might get mine dyno'd! we will see!!
so u have the second standard cat!! but didnt urs fail MOT!!?? maybe not u!!

where did buy ur heat wrap from if dont mind me asking

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
ok!!
well, well done on the result!
i just didnt know that the standard 75bhp was at the fly!!! confused the hell out of me as you could tell ( ^ above )

might get mine dyno'd! we will see!!
so u have the second standard cat!! but didnt urs fail MOT!!?? maybe not u!!

where did buy ur heat wrap from if dont mind me asking

74bhp standard;)
yes second cat. yes it was me that failed mot. that's why i decided to heat wrap exhaust to cat, and see if it passes next year. if my manifold hasn't crumbled away by theno_O

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
the extra heat is causing a problem regarding "corrosion" (usually more factors required for this to take effect)?? or not that at all??

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
the extra heat doesn't help. Low Rider said his was badly corroded, and beyond repair after removing the heat wrapping, but I don't remember how long his was wrapped for

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
oh ok!!!! can you not coat the manifold in a heat, corrosion, rust free paint / spray etc and then heat wrap it!! or is that defeating the object!!! possilby making it worse!! not sure??

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
oh ok!!!! can you not coat the manifold in a heat, corrosion, rust free paint / spray etc and then heat wrap it!! or is that defeating the object!!! possilby making it worse!! not sure??
to get that to work, it would probably need to be done from new and you'd need to coat the inside too, as that's where they rot from - the condensation from the engine etc.

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
update:
just bought these bad boys. whiteline rear trailing arms. to make it easier to fit my rear disc axle ;)
167.jpg

to go with my other whiteline stuff, castor/anti-lift kit, front and rear 22mm anti-roll bars (when i recieve 'em) and adjustable rear panhard rod. :D

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
update:
to go with my other whiteline stuff, castor/anti-lift kit, front and rear 22mm anti-roll bars (when i recieve 'em) and adjustable rear panhard rod. :D

the rear anti roll bar is a heavy duty one aswell ;) they did a rear one same as the front (in strengh etc) and a heavy duty rear one.

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
the rear anti roll bar is a heavy duty one aswell ;) they did a rear one same as the front (in strengh etc) and a heavy duty rear one.

that's why i put front and rear 22mm anti-roll bars, the normal rear is only 20mm in diameter;)

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
front and rear arb's are now on, i was going to get 'em sand blasted and painted black, but i couldn't wait to fit 'em.
but i've not really been able to test them as the roads are wet!!!

hoping to do a track day this year with it now, well after i sort out the n15 gti brakes and rear disc axle. it's just not the weather for an axle swap. lol

front
07012008338.jpg

rear
07012008335.jpg

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
hey mate!!! you had a go now with the whiteline kit fitted....if you know what i mean :) lol. how she handling??

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
hey mate!!! you had a go now with the whiteline kit fitted....if you know what i mean :) lol. how she handling??

like a dream, the roads still aren't warm yet, but hell yeah!!!!! stays as flat as a pancake through the twisties, just need some better seats now to keep me planted, i struggle to hold on and end up on the passenger seat. :D

solarice

Ex. Club Member
whiteline kit has to be the best investment, if youre after handling...such a joy to drive once theyre fitted, as you now well know :D

just dont be suprised if your fuel economy and tyre wear suffer lol.

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
here's a quick shop i've done with the wheels. i wanted a rough idea about the style of the wheels and the colour. and i like these :). although i won't be getting volks, i will hopefully be getting the rote grids in bronze i think, as they are volk replicas.
i was also thinking about getting 195/50x15 tyres instead of the 195/45x15's that i've got on atm. just hoping to make the ride a little bit more comfier with them.

what are peoples thoughts?

volkson.jpg

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
if you like the volks and rotas, i would recommend inovit stvi's as they're cheaper again (paid under £500 with tyres 16"), and also come with the cool as chuff blue rays engineering stickers on, well mine did and so do these:
http://www.inovit.com/gallery/images/STVI-Br-Impreza1.jpg
the only thing that slightly takes away from these wheels is the fact that thay're mulithole, but still defo worth the money.

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
if you like the volks and rotas, i would recommend inovit stvi's as they're cheaper again (paid under £500 with tyres 16"), and also come with the cool as chuff blue rays engineering stickers on, well mine did and so do these:
http://www.inovit.com/gallery/images/STVI-Br-Impreza1.jpg
the only thing that slightly takes away from these wheels is the fact that thay're mulithole, but still defo worth the money.

thanks for the link. i've seen these and as p11sr20 said, not as light as the rotas (grids are 5kg each in 15" :)).
also i have multihole alloys now and it annoys me seeing the rusty disc through the other holes, and having to clean inside the other holes

quick shop by my bro (p11sr20)

volks_low.jpg

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
the wheels arrived thursday last week. they sent the wrong nuts first, so here's a couple of pics with the std nuts on. they now have black nuts fitted now though, just not taken any new pics.
( it normally sits lower at the rear, but it is stripped out atm ready for the next rwyb @ the pod. it was raining yesterday :( )
14032008046.jpg

14032008047.jpg

OP
OP
Swiper

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Look pretty good!
They were a better colour in the photoshop though..

i actually prefer the darker colour, looks less gold imo

Very! very nice Swiper! (Y) fit perfectly with the colour!!!!
is your rear window tinted?

no, the rear window isn't tinted, i haven't got round to it yet, i just tinted the side ones myself for the kids really, i hate them stupid suction blinds people use.