Swapping speedo dash binnacle

Hi dont know if any else has experience of this but thought Id share it.

Basically wifes micra has fault with tell tale indicator arrow not working on the dash binnacle. (bulbs ok). So decided to swap binnacles with one from spare car I have which works fine.

Plugged in and the light now works as it should, proving that the fault was in the binnacle. However car wouldnt start?

Found out that these binnacles are coded to each car as part of the immobiliser! Never heard of that before and would never have thought it. So swapped them back and she fires up again fine.

So dont buy secondhand one to replace a faulty one as it wont work. Unless you know good auto-electrician or willing to get mugged by dealer.

Can they be re-coded reasonable money or do I have to put up with broken tell tale indicator for ever more?

Clodo

Club Member
Ahhh the k12 is more electrically complicated maybe the circuit needs resoldering :) I'd get a multi meter out and start testing all the board :) xx

I put 2nd hand one in mine,mines a mk1, combi meter I put in off mk2. Cars starts fine,all lights work fine. The only thing I get is a light come up after about 10mins of a car with a key inside. No issues

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I put 2nd hand one in mine,mines a mk1, combi meter I put in off mk2. Cars starts fine,all lights work fine. The only thing I get is a light come up after about 10mins of a car with a key inside. No issues

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Well, I think you'll need to scan n set it up! OBD 2