swaping 1.0 to 1.3

jim_bling

Ex. Club Member
hey peeps sorry if this has been covered but will a 1.3 pre facelift fit into a facelift 1.0 and how easy would it be to do it or does any one from the north east no a garage that will do it for me

also what will i have to tell the DVLA and insurance company

Well, you mean tell them that you're changing your 1.0 to 1.3? Probably..

And it should fit? I'd think so anyways, the engine layout seems to be practically the same. But don't trust what I say. :/

Joel, i'd get a few months practice with your 1litre first, trust me thats plenty fast enough to get you into trouble at first!
And it will just about do 100 if you have a long enough private road...

As for insuring it, i'd imagine it would be more than insuring the 1.3 on its own..?

Hey chaps.

Right Ed done a conversion for me. I had a 1.3 facelift fitted to my 1.0 pre facelift. SO doing it the other way round seems like it would logically work.

As for insurance and DVLA purposes, you will need to send of your V5 document with the engine number and engine size change Engine number will be CG13 XXXXXX and CC will be 1275.

You will need to inform your insurance company otherwise in the event of an accident they could deem your insurance null and void! As they were not informed. Chances are they wouldn't even notice though as they are physically the same size (externally).

Your call though! I drove mine around for about a month or 2 until my insurance was up for renewal before declaring mine, naughty i know! lol

Thats a very good point!!!

If your cars Post 2000, then you'd probably have to change the loom and ECU.

If it is a post 2000, you'd better off going for the 1.4 CGA3, and maybe this ECU can be fitted, although will require NATS re-programming. Although Ed would be a better person to ask about this as he's worked with post 2000 Micras!

What year is the car that it is going into?
If it is pre-98 then you have to faff with gearbox mounts and witings if you swap the gearboxes over.
Engine blocks themselves, are identical between the two.

Coil packs were the mk4 ones that looked like this - 2000>2002 so could be either.
Nissan_Micra_14.jpg

However, if it is like this, then he would have to swap the heads over to get the coil packs on the engine.

Thats a very good point!!!

If your cars Post 2000, then you'd probably have to change the loom and ECU.

If it is a post 2000, you'd better off going for the 1.4 CGA3, and maybe this ECU can be fitted, although will require NATS re-programming. Although Ed would be a better person to ask about this as he's worked with post 2000 Micras!

he's getting the 1.3 facelift for free off a mate of his i think

AND HOPEFULLY GIVING ME CERTAIN INTERIOR PLASTICS!!!!!

haha ;)

mine is a 2000 face lift just before the face lift face lift and it aint coil pack so it is possible but a faff on im gettin a 1.3 pre face lift off a lad from work so was gona put the engine in mine but if its to much work to be done i dont think i will bother

mine is a 2000 face lift just before the face lift face lift and it aint coil pack so it is possible but a faff on im gettin a 1.3 pre face lift off a lad from work so was gona put the engine in mine but if its to much work to be done i dont think i will bother

dont be daft mate, will only take a weekend.

get it done.

yearh, staright swap, take the 1.0 engine, gearbox and shafts out and, put 1.3 engine box and shafts in...loom will be fine iirc as swiper put a prefacelift 1.3 in his facelift 1.0. as said will take a weekend

kool any one wana give is a hand as i dont no what i am doin with the engine side of cars but the rest i can do or does any on ethink a garage will do it for me

Garage will ask you to bend over - it is pretty much a plug and play swap, but a crane is useful.
If both cars are post-98, you *should* be alright with gearbox mounts, however it is a bit of a grey area someitmes - you will need to rewire your neutral and reverse switch pins.
Worst case scenario, you can just switch the engines and flywheels over, it will give you lower ratios etc

straight swap. (keep the cg10 flywheel as it's lighter and uses the same clutch ;)). the gearbox and shafts would be a straight swap also, but you can still use your 1.0 box and shafts (not sure how long it'd last, but i'd say it should be fine) for faster acceleration. you don't need a crane, i removed the front bumper, drove it up some ramps (mines lowered and wouldn't go up ramps with bumper on), removed the slam panel and support bar, then with two people, it's easy enough to lift out the engine by hand. remove the box first though. makes it a lot easier.

It is only the pre-98 cars where you get a real headache when swapping gearboxes as the mounts are different, just need to rewire neutral and reverse switches.

Back