Suspension..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,
Im looking to change the suspension on my car, I would like to go just uprated springs and shocks to make it a little firmer and to reduce body roll, and I don't really want to go any lower than 40mm..

Can any one suggest any to look at? I have looked at the Apex springs which drop from 30-40mm but I cant find any shocks.

You don't really need to change your shocks if all you want is 35mm, it would however be worth buying new gas filled shocks you can get a complete set on ebay for £100 ish

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
okay then :) I only wanna change those as I hear they also make the ride a little firmer, are they just standard but new shocks? then I need to get the uprated springs? what do I look for on ebay :)

pollyp

Club Member
I have these which uses the same apex progressive springs

dsc07735a.jpg

http://micra.org.uk/threads/f-s-bilstein-streetline-suspension-lowering-kit.54253/

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
OOO tempting, im going to have to wait like a month though as I have to pay my tax first :/ ill see what the soonest is that I can get them, did you like the springs? what were they like just normal driving around town?

OOO tempting, im going to have to wait like a month though as I have to pay my tax first :/ ill see what the soonest is that I can get them, did you like the springs? what were they like just normal driving around town?

I had those springs and they were really good, comfy around town but when it came to spirited driving was absolutely spot on! That's an ideal combo for what you want really :)

pollyp

Club Member

no probs, they've been on sale for awhile and ain't going anywhere till the first person buys it.

full description of fitting and behaviour is on my blog link.
in summary they're a gr8 handling upgrade.

cos of the low initial spring rate of the progressive coils, they're quite smooth over street roads/bumps.
when you exert more load onto it, such as hard cornering or braking, the spring rate firms up and reduces the amount of body roll & pitching.

a tiny handling detail I did pick up whilst I was upgrading over to full coilovers was the difference in damper control.
there was this 40mph mild corner in the country road which has this rippling oscillating surface which tended to slightly unsettle the light back end of the car with the bilstein kit whereas the new BC coilovers and my moms pug 307 goes round it no prob.
which seemed to indicate either the rear dampers may have too much rebound dampening so the rear wheels couldn't extent fast enough and skip over the bumps losing some rear grip, and/or the stripped rear end was too light for the damper setting.

I did have sway bars n strut braces on but imo:
sway bars mostly affect body roll so it responds to corners like a go-kart.
strut braces are barely noticable but mostly affects mid-corner consistancy.
coil & dampers mostly affects the pitch/dive and ride quality and mid-corner stability

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
hmm okay sounds good to me :) any idea where I can get the sway bars too? and would I just need a front or front and back? the whiteline ones from rally nuts are like 200 for both :(

pollyp

Club Member
hmm okay sounds good to me :) any idea where I can get the sway bars too? and would I just need a front or front and back? the whiteline ones from rally nuts are like 200 for both :(

i got my whitelines from demontweeks. matt humphris is another source.

stiffer swaybars imho was one of the best bang per buck most dramatic handling upgrade, 2nd to upgrading to sticky low profile 195/50/15 wheel/tyres.

afraid thats the inherent cost of modifying for performance as well as higher insurance.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Well I think ill try the suspension as its already on the insurance just gotta buy them and put them on the car, and ill see how that goes and maybe get some swaybars later on :)

hi mate you still got them shocks i will buy? how much you after? i have been looking for ages, i am very interested:) thanks

search ebay for micra monroe reflex damper. ive just bought some. they sent me the wrong ones, but are being very helpful about sorting their mistake out.

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
they just look like standard replacement dampers? I would need to buy the springs on top of that, Plus im already buying the Kit off Paul which I think is a better deal and already has the springs that I want :)

not standard replacement. they're camber adjustable and stiffer damping. yeah you'd need springs on top but im buying bit by bit.

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Sinister2010 said:
Please could someone help about suspension? Would golf mk2 suspension fit my k11 micra without too much of a carry on?

Doubt it. You could always try to

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Well I've just received my shiny suspension although I haven't opened the box yet, Im planning to drive it down to my dads tomorrow night then soak all the bolts in WD40 and start changing it early on Sunday morning :) Cant wait to get some Lows and well better suspension. Hopefully it will get rid of the boaty feel and give the car abit more confidence :)

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Well I spent 3 hours and got all the suspension on the car :) I have to say it has completely changed how the car feels, So much more grip, seriously less body roll and the arch gap is pretty much even the whole way round, Gotta say im very happy :)

Thanks for the Kit Paul :)

pollyp

Club Member
fantastic. proud that u like it :)

bare in mind that the coils have been relaxed for few years so over next few months they will settle down afew mm.
my BC coilover springs settled 10mm lower than the year I fitted em.

tracking done after fitting the kit yeah?

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Yeah its great, did you scrape on speed bumps? Currently they are fine and don't change too much :) haven't had it done yet, in going to get it checked this week i think, but the way it drive currently i don't think its out, no pulling etc :)

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Still haven't had a chance to get pictures yet,
Does anyone need some stock suspension? the fronts have been on the car for a year and im not sure how long the rears have been on, They will be dumped otherwise :)

ok sounds alright to me, cos its for a mate whos looking to make his car back to standard etc, let me ask him what he thinks on the price!!!! whats the postage roughly gonna be on the suspension?

cheers

J

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Urm well I paid 45 to have it delivered to me but that was next day delivery with Saturday selected so should be a little cheaper than that :)