Suspension Terrible

My wife has a 2004 Micra 1.4 Auto. She loves it. Great car to drive, nippy, tiny turning circle, aircon, sunroof, keyless, etc.

However, the suspension is getting worse and worse. Even over relatively small potholes and protrusions, it'll shake like a ****ting dog. Any big holes and your head can quite easily hit the roof. Corners see you gripping the handle with white knuckles.

Could anybody please advise me on how I can fix it? Do I need to replace certain suspension parts? If so, which ones?

The car used to be the wifes mothers -we actually bought or for her all those years ago - and it has great sentimental value, as well as being a great car, so I'd be prepared to spend more than a sane person would deem acceptable.

Any suggestions, please? I'm not very mechanically minded. I can replace tyres, batteries, bulbs, etc, but that's about it, so I really need some wise heads to point me in the right direction, please.

Thanks!

It sounds like the shocks, could be a few other things like antiroll bar links, or bushes on arms gone. Only way to know for sure is to go over it all and check them by hand for play.

Back