Suspension Overhall (where to find bump stops?)

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
I'm getting all kinds of moaning and groaning from my suspension so I think it's time to replace the lot. It's a 1987 K10 and I'm pretty sure they are the original shocks and springs. It's only done 35k but 24 years will have done enough damage.

Because I have to think twice about buying a loaf of bread I'm going for KYB oil instead of gas (I know everyone here loves the gas). I'm also thinking I don't want to harden the ride too much as I want to get 35mm lowering springs as well. If I believe the advertising, the KYB oil will be kinder to the rest of the old parts but are still an slight upgrade on the OEM.

Problem is I'm spending hours looking around the internet for replacement bump stops. Does anyone have a link for the exact parts? I've got conflicting advice on Monroe part numbers for the rear and nothing for the front.

Also, any advice on lowering springs quality? The PI make are cheap but I'm suspicious and it looks like splitting hairs between Weitic, Spax, H&R and AP.

Thanks.

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Right. Got my KYB gas shocks. Rears came with what looks like the right bump stops etc. Fronts, despite costing more, came with nothing? Well just a nut. Bit weird. Anyway I've wiped back the tears and am trying to find the bits I need to replace on the fronts. The only thing I've heard of is the need to change the bump stops which look like soggy battenberg cake after 24 years. I've found the following that might do the job:

http://www.gjnorthall.com/MAINTENANCE-AND-SERVICE-PARTS.html (need to go down the page to section 18 for these ones).
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=2048&g=7962&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Motorsport

The demon tweeks are cheaper but not sure what size I will need? Also wondering if polyurethane ones are readily available at motor factors? My 35mm lowering springs haven't arrived yet so I'm not in a rush but would be nice to have all the parts together before I start. Is there any other parts I might need to replace? Thanks.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah they were poly bushes. Think they were just universal ones but fit perfectly, and they were off the shelf

B210Bandit

Ex. Club Member
I bought a set for the Figaro from these guys: http://www.strongflex.vot.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=367&category_id=192&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Replaced the front shocks on the GS and the mechanic fitted them no problems, with dust covers. However, when replacing the suspension on my LS , the suspension work shop I took it to couldn't get them to fit on the front and cleaned up the old ones. So, they might fit, the might not. :glare:

C88

Ex. Club Member
I saw your other thread in general, but regardless, when you do manage to get everything together is there any chance you could do some sort of step-by-step?

As this is definitely something I want to do myself at some point, just letting you do all the homework... :)

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
...when you do manage to get everything together is there any chance you could do some sort of step-by-step?

Yeah I'll do my best. Just got the spring compressors today so I should be able to get down to it later this week. There are some posts around here somewhere so whatever I do will be a bit of a 'best of'.

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
As arnold says there are plenty of universal fitting stops, my super s came with an extra set of bump stops on the rear shocks (which are kyb gas reflex). They are made by Powerflex, so you could google them and see what they cost if you want.
You can get a set of lowering springs from kyb for £140.
One thing i'll say about the kyb's is that they are hard as chuff, which makes for awesome handling, but every time you hit a bump you'll have to go back and pick up your kidneys off the road, very harsh. The monroe's are a different animal, they give great cornering with minimal roll (and that's on a k10 with no rear anti-roll bar) but for general driving they are smooth and sweet. I have a set on my gs special and i'd always feel chilled out and sleepy after going out for a cruise.
So it really depends on what kinda ride your after, but if you want comfort go for the monroe's every time.

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Dammit. I already got KYB's :down: Bit annoying because the advertising bumf implies that they increase handling and comfort.

I've had a good long look at powerflex but got confused about what ones to get and couldn't risk getting the wrong ones.

frank

Club Member
Dammit. I already got KYB's :down: Bit annoying because the advertising bumf implies that they increase handling and comfort.

I've had a good long look at powerflex but got confused about what ones to get and couldn't risk getting the wrong ones.

just BS or spiel dg, you cant have comfort AND handling imo (its always a compromise between the two)

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Well it definitely needed some handling improvement as ending up with my limbs spread across a hedge would not be comfortable. Any ways I can balance it out? I'm going to keep to 12/13" steelies so I can have a good bit of tyre padding. Will wider wheels make it more or less harsh on the comfort?

B210Bandit

Ex. Club Member
I had the KYB gas shocks put in the LS and to be honest I find the ride is not that harsh compared the normal KYBs in my GS. Maybe it's because I had the old bump stops in which were in good nick. Fantastic for taking massive loads of junk in the back; do that in the GS with normal shocks and the ride is...interesting!

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Wider wheels/tyres will reduce roll to a degree but they don't do anything for comfort but they can make your steering a little heavy when parking. I swapped my super s alloys (185/55 14") for the standard steelies (165/65 13") while i tidied them up a bit, and the stock rims made the ride a lot softer especially over speed humps. And to be honest there wasn't much extra roll.
That said, i don't follow the suggested or "standard" tyre size reccomendations, which i think are 155/70. I prefer to have em a little wider and a little lower profile to keep the roll down.

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I do get a bit wide eyed for big fat wheels but I need to keep this car practical (for now) esp for work. I was thinking of either facelift K10 13" steelies or Polo 13" with the centre bored out. Not sure how easy it is to get decent tyres for either of those but with the 12's im currently limited to a selection of what appear to be caravan tyres fwn

Thinking of heavy steering... don't suppose you can stick K11 power steering rack in a K10 could you? I thought about it a while back cause my gf can't drive it at slow speeds (eg parking). Tbh its a bit of a fight for me at times and i dont have matchstick arms.

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
I see no reason why it couldn't be done with some modification, brackets would have to be made and the pulley/wheel on the k11 pump would have to be swapped for a V type pulley like your altinator. The easier option is to source a complete system from a figaro, straight bolt-on mod. They did make k10's with power steering but unfortunately is wasn't on the uk options list, don't know why but that's japs for you. I reckon you'd be looking at about £150 to get the parts so it might be cheaper for now just to keep your tyres pumped up lol.

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
All done! Looks much better. Took it for a test drive last night when I'd finished on the wet Sussex roads. Completley transformed the car! Corners better, more stable on dual carriadeway, feels so much safer and best of all I can actually feel what the car is doing! Ride comfort seems to be a bit harsher but not anymore than my old impreza with low profile tyres or lowered golf mkiv. I think I'd got used to the wallowing water bed feel. When I check the old shocks they had no rebound I them at all. Only the weight of the wheel extending it out again. Best thing ive done to this car by far and defo something I'll do on any other cars I get. I'm gonna treat it to a bath and then get back on with Uni work!

B210Bandit

Ex. Club Member
yeah, awesome improvement huh (Y) Took the LS out this morning for a 5 am rip around surrey, tried to throw her out around roundabouts (no-one around) but she just stuck like glue. Might try those Monroes porkpie talked about in the GS.

Was thinking of selling one of my micras but i just can't do it. way too much fun to drive.

OP
OP
dg_unit

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Yep gonna spend a bit of time finding the grip limit so I know how it handles if it does go wonkey. Just a lot of understeer I'm guessing. This car will be ripe for a CG13 late next year when I've got a bit more experience/money.

Right. Got my KYB gas shocks. Rears came with what looks like the right bump stops etc. Fronts, despite costing more, came with nothing? Well just a nut. Bit weird. Anyway I've wiped back the tears and am trying to find the bits I need to replace on the fronts. The only thing I've heard of is the need to change the bump stops which look like soggy battenberg cake after 24 years. I've found the following that might do the job:

http://www.gjnorthall.com/MAINTENANCE-AND-SERVICE-PARTS.html (need to go down the page to section 18 for these ones).
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ...oogle&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Motorsport

The demon tweeks are cheaper but not sure what size I will need? Also wondering if polyurethane ones are readily available at motor factors? My 35mm lowering springs haven't arrived yet so I'm not in a rush but would be nice to have all the parts together before I start. Is there any other parts I might need to replace? Thanks.
Hi my friend i no this post is a long while ago, I've just fitted new kyb springs to my Micra k11 and the ride is hard as anything my springs believe it or not were 40mm taller all standard. did you learn to live with the hard ride thanks tony uk