Suspension Issue

Hi all,

I am the proud new owner of a 1989 1.2l K10 (Big Red), I took her to the garage to the other day for a new exhaust silencer and since they had her raised up to do the work, something seems to have happened to the suspension on the rear passenger side. As soon as you put any weight on that side she just sinks! It also happens to a lesser degree with weight on the drivers side. There is also a squeaky noise coming from the area.

Before I got her a week ago, she had been off the road for nearly 2 years, so that may have something to do with it, but I am more concerned that something may have happened at the garage. Also as I do not know much about the car and it's workings yet, I would like to go back with some ideas as to what may be wrong before they try and do tons of unnecessary work.

I tried to have a look under the car at the suspension myself, but I have limited mobility and could not see much, but nothing appeared to be broken.

Any help and advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated by myself and Big Red.

Many thanks in advance

Nix

Hi
I'm going to assume the car is 'standard' and without modified suspension etc.
Sounds like your shock absorbers have had it.
The auspension on each corner of the car consists of a coil spring (which gives you the 'bounce') and a damper or strut, which stops the car from keeping on bouncing! A combination of the two irons out the bumps in the road.
The dampers are oil filled and over time can develop leaks, which in turn means they lose their ability to do their job. I auspect your damper/s are knackered. They are less than £20 per corner to buy (if you stick to standard stuff) and should be changed two at a time, fronts together and rears together, if possible.
Your springs would need to be checked to ensure no bits hve snapped off at the ends.
All these parts are very easy to replace.
You dont say where you are , so cant suggest Id have a look for you.
Hope you get it sorted...

Back