Suspected Stretched Timing Chain

Hi, the wife has had from new a 2003 1.2 Micra and I'm about 90% confident that the timing chain has stretched on it, it has all the classic symptoms and the associated error codes. Although it is 17 years old it's done less than 20k miles so I'd quite like to get it sorted. Is it OK to ask on the forum if anyone who has experience of doing these would be interested in doing one in the Bedfordshire area? I'm not taking it a dealership and of the three local mechanics I've approached none seemed interested.

May I ask..., why are you so sure it’s the chain?

It is of course possible it’s the chain however they are supposed to last the useful life of the car as long as it has been serviced regularly, as yours is such a low mileage car I’d be inclined to think the servicing isn’t an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
THX1138
Hi, thanks for your reply. I've just read so many other threads of people who have had the exact same symptoms and error codes as we had and it has turned out to to be the chain. Also, because we have done such low mileage it hasn't been serviced regularly in terms of time and hasn't had many oil changes in its life.

However I'm also open to the idea of it being something else and have someone coming to look at it for an assessment however he has said if it is the chain he probably wouldn't do it as to big a job.

Well that seems quite definitive then, I was thinking with the optimistic half glass full ethos. The servicing intervals are based on miles driven so the fact that it's low mileage and therefore not serviced shouldn't cause such a catastrophic failure, having said that I've no idea if the oil in a car left sitting for x amount of weeks/months somehow becomes "bad"

frank

Club Member
imo the k12 chain issue was a software fault, because 10mm of extension on a tensioner of such a long single chain is nothing
the k11 chains are half that length and they have 20mm extension on the tensioner
plus the fact that you dont get any chain noise, and that some early k12,s had new chains fitted twice
i suspect that when nissan were made aware, they altered the parameters in the crank sensor-to-cam sensor inputs in the ecu
if it was mine i would shift the cam sensor position somehow

Frank, that is a whole new perspective, I've gotta say I find the stories of chain failure a bit hard to get to grips with especially in the case of THX1138.

If the cam sensor position can be somehow manipulated electronically and it solves the issue that'd be a revelation.

frank

Club Member
some-one on here got another couple of years use by shifting the cam sensor iirc, here,s 1 previous thread

OP
OP
THX1138
Quick update, in anticipation of the mechanic coming tomorrow I've installed a good battery and had another go at starting the engine. Engine turned over, started and then immediately died as per when we last used it 18 or so months ago. This repeated several times.

I then employed the method that I'd used previously of turning everything off leaving the car for 10 minutes and then starting it with the accelerator fully depressed. As before this worked and the engine started although it was very lumpy for a couple of minutes or so. I kept revving it and eventually it calmed down and ran smoothly.

I wanted to take it out on the road but it's SORN with no tax, MOT or insurance so I had to make do with backwards and forwards on the drive a few times. It seemed quite happy so I got out and cleaned a few bits up for 10 minutes or so while it was idling at about 7-800 revs, very smoothly I might add.

I then turned it off. Returned about 20 minutes later and tried to start it normally and it did start without the accelerator fully depressed but only just and the engine management warning that had reset from having no battery for 18 or so months immediately came back.

One other thing I noticed was that whenever I put an load on the electrical system, turning on the lights, fan etc it would immediately cause a rattling noise from somewhere in the engine bay. No load, no rattle, turn the lights on, short rattle then quite again. Turn the fan on, short rattle then quiet again and so on. Do you think this is indicative of a weak alternator?

Oh and one other thing, I opened up the petrol filler cap and filler tube has gone rusty for some reason, should I worry about flakes of rust coming loose and getting into the petrol when filling up?

OP
OP
THX1138
Mechanic has been, full diagnostics done. Checked the sensors were working correctly which they were, signals all good. Verdict, pretty sure it's a stretched chain. Probably going to scrap it.

you could consider flushing the fuel system out, as rust from the filler could have blocked the fuel system some where, as with the history of older cars it may have been run dry pulling in to the system all kinds of debris from the tank, I don't think the car would run smooth as you describe if the chain was stretched beyond:unsure: its limits you would know about it straight away. the rattle you mention sounds like a alternator, a cheap second hand one will sort that if it is that you mention. with the car at such low mileage it would be really bad to simply scrap it, also check the spark plugs and change the engine oil, oil stood in cars only used to start up or short journeys can decay rapidly and become acidic.

frank

Club Member
software update maybe ? or slot the sensor hole

OP
OP
THX1138
Thanks for your replies, the rust issue with the fuel filler is something that has happened after the initial engine problems as it's been sitting unused for 18 months or so. I know what you mean about the engine running smooth initially, but it's that classic catch 22, I don't want it to become a money pit. It's just a shame that it's so costly just to get access to the chain to visibly inspect it and the tensioner.

If on inspection it wasn't stretched I might consider spending some money on other things.