Super S Dials Part2

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
I have them fitted thanks to James and Ed. they work ok but they over read by miles! on the standard dials it used to run in the middle of the temp guage and now its about 2 thirds. also the rev counter over reads by 400rpm (but ive been told how to sort this), and also the speedo is over by miles. GPS reads 41 and the clock said 50mph! Is this normal behaviour for super S clocks??

Thanks!!

my stock setup read +7% high on the clocks (SPEED) and now with reduced circumferance front tyre & wheel combo my dials read a worse +10% high according to GPS comparrison.....so It sounds OK to me (not the dials that are problematic but more so the design tolerance)..

10% is easy to compensate in the brain though...(55mph dials = 50mph actual etc)

...Just to check you are using long straight & flat (no bends or incline) for your GPS avereges?

Get a gps and fix it:) The temp gauge dont worry about by the sounds of it, it is sitting where it would notmally be on many K10s. If you have any problems doing this, I will calibrate them for you give me some notice + small £.

Ed

The temp guage on the Super S dials is known to read higher, and thats normal.

I never checked my speedo with stock Super S wheels and tyres (175/60/13), but now, with bigger wheels and tyres (185/60/14, which is 6.92% bigger) the GPS agrees almost exactly with my speedo, up to 70ish mph where the speedo reads veeeerrry slightly slower than actual speed (1mph maybe)

So I would hypothesise that the stock setup of Super S wheels with Super S dials is about 6.5% out??

Did you test the old dials with GPS?

Edit, yeh just read sammo's post again, 7% out with stock setup is probably about right then.

Turtle, I tested the old ones with the gps and they were out 5-6% so wasnt bad. but these were out way more.

Ed, I already owe ya one but when you mean get a gps and fix it do you mean the speedo can be calibrated without any extra parts? that would be cool.

Cheers again mate!

OK, well I do remember taking apart some Super S dials and theres a number saying how many turns of the speedo cable per minute = 60mph.

And with the Super S dials the number was different by 2 turns... but then the number was over 1000 so... yeh useless information then.

I can't think of an easy way to calibrate it... I think Ed meant get a satnav in your car.

It'l never be 100% accurate, but your best bet is pulling off the needle and sticking it back on a few degrees in whatever direction is required, then go down the road and compare the dial reading to the GPS. If its still out, then adjust etc.

My car's out by about 5-8mph, but you get used to it and learn what the car's really doing.

ok ill pull the needle off the speedo and stick it on in the right place. thats what u thought to do and im gonna go 4 it. The rev counter is the other thing thats reading too high. I noticed that when i put the ingnition on before i start the engine the rev counter jumps up to 400rpm with the engine still off, and it over reads 400rpm through out the rev range. Ed did mention to me how to sort this but it was late and cold and hes much more brainy than me. Can Ed (ill owe ya another one) or anyone please lemme know how to calibrate the rev counter. Thanks so much!!

PS: My subscription will be in the post by the end of the week!

Update: Sorted it all out! Incase anyone else wants to know heres how.

For the rev counter i gently pulled the tip of the white pointer over the resting pin and continued to turn it anticlockwise till it hit a stop, then i continues to turn it agaisnt the resistance until i thought i had adjusted it enough. Then i lifted it back over the resting pin and started her up and it reads perfectly now!!

for the speedo kinda the same story.. kinda.. i lifted the pointer over the resting pin and watched where it came to rest naturally. then i pulled the pointer off the dial and placed it back on where i thought was correct. then lifted the pointer over the resting pin and went for a blast with the gps on as well and its now reading 29mph where the gps is 30mph, but then at 70 on the gps its only 75 on the car speedo. so its not that bad at all now!! well chuffed!!!

Back