• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Super S -93 "cherry" ,the rescue!

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
This is a story about getting a micra back to life ;)

Here in Finland the Super S K11 has not been sold as new, so there are not many of those here. I can´t remember i have ever seen one alive before this one.

So, i noticed in finnish internet auction site that there is a rare micra nearby...and after a few days of painly waiting it was mine!

We picked it yesterday with my girlfriend driving another K11, everything went smoothly and newcomer survived those 120miles without any major issues. Squeeking wipers and heater blow motor were a bit pain , it was raining a lot.
Technically seems perfect, no whining gearbox or rattling engine...just needs some basic servicing.
The body is a different story, cat size rust holes and other sweet things :)

Micra has truly interesting history, originally sold new in Italy and 2004 the owner brought it to finland...i am not 100% sure but has probably been in one owner for the whole time.
I have all the original documents with it too.

I did not get yet the time to check the whole car for issues but here´s a small to do-list for a start:

-Rusted front end
-Rust hole in front of the drivers side rear wheel
-Rust hole in drivers side sill
-Rust hole in co drivers side sill
-Cracks in front bumper
-Cracks and paint issues in rear bumper
-Paint issues in roof
-Inside/outside/engine bay dirrrty as hell
-Drivers side front window loose from the lifting mechanism
-Squeaky front wiper mechanism
-Squeaky interior heater motor
-Some bulbs broken from meters etc.
-Engine and others full maintenance
-Co-drivers door handle broken
-Rust spots in boot
-Sagging doors
-Corroded brake lines
-Boot gas pumps broken
-Broken remote boot opening

List is going to be longer as i get into it ;)
Just hopes up that nothing major comes up....but i don´t think what could be major in such a small car :)

Some minor mods also have been already in mind, i plan to keep it mainly in clean oem shape!
This list will be longer too as i get going!

-Some Nismo? front/rear lips and side spats?
-Polo coilovers (already have these waiting in one K10)
-Some nice 13-14 inc wheels
-Small stereo tweaks
-Engine tweaks (exhaust and some na-mods.....Ganador catback already waiting for action)
-Nardi steering wheel (already got waiting)

Here are some photos of it, its going to look better i promise! ;)
Luckily i had some warm garage waiting empty ,where i can do something during this winter already.

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5298.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5301.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Whoah, quite a bit of work to be had there!

Once the rust and welding has been sorted, there's isn't too much wrong in terms of body work at all. Good luck on the project.

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
It takes a bit fighting spirit too! (Sisulla siitä selviää!) :)

(Näinpä, sisulla sitä on tähänkin asti menty tätä harrastamisen ihanuuden vuoristorataa ;) )

The fighting spirit has been the key to keep me in the track in this car hobby rollercoaster ;)

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Had the time to clean up the car a bit in the weekend, took few horrible pictures with my E90 Nokia.

24112012310.jpg

24112012314.jpg

And polished+fitted the Mangels 6x13...comes right to the edge and maybe will look nice with coils ;)

24112012317.jpg

24112012316.jpg

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
I´ve been thinking of the mods list and i plan to keep it mainly in original shape inside and outside....would look awesome enough with coilovers and perfect wheels :) . Just don´t know which rims would do the trick?

13 inch maybe... JDM SSR:s etc are nice but the price is high.

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Got some garage space for rent with awesome luck, now the super s is soon getting something done ;)

Garage has all the gears including lifters and things , havent got any good sleep recently because i am so excited :)

Winter holiday also starting next week so if i kick it hard i can maybe get the main things done in those two free weeks!

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Kicked up the project yesterday, first ~3 hours spent for a good reason ;)

-Changed the trunk bonnet gas lifters
-Changed the engine oil+filter+air filter+transmission oil+plugs
-Ripped the plastic covers under the front side, more welding to do but i knew what to find in there.

Bumpers are in horrible shape, would be easier to replace them with good ones but there are not any here so....
I´ll change the engine oil again shortly, after i have cleaned the system with the current cheap ones & stp engine flush (did not have any of that in reserve so i´ll go and buy it soon and stick it in).
The old oil was way over the changing limit....

I have some ****ty pictures in my phone, maybe will put them here later!

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
This has been progressing a bit, ripped off the front and lifted it to a proper welding position.

I´ve also been gathering parts for the car...here is some list what i already have and what is coming.

Already have:

-Big roll of 3M air canal carbon tape
-Racetech fuel pressure adjuster +gauge
-Ganador back box
-Nardi steering wheel +adapter
-Special painted valve cover
-CAI kind of intake system
-Front bumper lip
-"HKS" engine grounding kit
-Side spats
-Door wind deflectors
-K Sport coilover set
-Some msc etc. stickers
-Mangels 13inch chrome steelies

Coming up:

-Compomotive ML´s
*looking for something else

-New door handle

-New front headlight
*have it!

-Lots of new steel

-Adjustable panhard rod

-Franksteel manifold + some decats
*have it!

-New plug wires ,NGK maybe

-Small original hubcaps
*have them!

Should be looking for:

-Nice gear knob
-Nice floor mats

I´ll be keeping this as my note list, and i´ll try to update it if i get some updates/changes.

I have some new photos, try to post them soon :)

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Off the ground!

26012013324_zps988d310a.jpg

Found some more rust issues behind the drivers side rear wheel....

26012013328_zpsc021c1f8.jpg

Last weekend got the front ready for good old cut&weld thingy.

IMG_5334_zps882c9afa.jpg

Empty face she has at the moment.

IMG_5335_zps2cb7562c.jpg

Finally some random photos of my new family transporter. Lots of repairs already done...well its not new anymore ;) . Has been eating time to do the Super S :(

IMG_5321_zpsc18e2ca7.jpg

IMG_5323_zps938ac8b2.jpg

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Some welding result photos!!

IMG_5346_zpsaa7d113b.jpg

IMG_5347_zps692b6f2a.jpg

Bought the paints also today on the way home, paint code is AH3. Planning to paint the whole engine bay and the front end, original paint is faded and some corrosion here and there.
Found some decent jdm Pioneer Carozzeria DSP head unit this weekend, i think it will do the job. But getting this new head unit means also that i´ll have to upgrade the original speakers with a component set (DLS propably) and hide a amp to drive them. Starting to get out of hands once again, this project ;)

IMG_5348_zpsb2748acf.jpg

Took a photo of our welsh corgi as i came home , she´s not stressing too much. Very nice old girl, but not a good guard dog ;)

SeriLepi_zps2c2a6b5f.jpg

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Recent jobbies...few weeks ago painted the front and base painted some smaller items too.

IMG_5355_zps3a6ee8b3.jpg

IMG_5354_zps44f66ff5.jpg

IMG_5358_zps1021d41b.jpg

IMG_5360_zpscf02f07f.jpg

Then yesterday installed the nardi wheel just for fun, also finished the front end small bits and painted the wheel caps i finally found from Karlj :)

NardiampK11_zps8b1b63e5.jpg

IMG_5366_zpsf6e285fe.jpg

Today i planned to get started with the rear rust issues! So some cut and slice photos coming up...if all goes as planned :p

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
Started to do the rear, more rust found. Have to change the whole side pocket from behind the drivers side rear wheel. Now searching for a car what has some good parts for the project :p .Did go to see one yesterday but was badly rusted from the same place....so it was no point to buy it. Had 450tkm on the clock (most i´ve seen in a K11), so engine sounded bit bad too ;). Gearbox was silent, but it has been maybe changed somewhere in the way.

Some wheel fitting made again, with the original center cover. Stands a bit out from the rim, i am not sure if it looks that nice.

OP
OP
cherrytuner

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
the wheels look like truck wheels with the caps on (almost) and i like that :)

Hmm the caps are now at this "spares" micra i got cheap....runs nice and maybe too good to be put as pieces :p .Some welding and it would get trough mot nicely.
4 doors, sooo sexy. Mystery fog lights too.