super charger

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I'd opt for none of the above, all way too complicated and destined for failure and/or dissapointment.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Nothing wrong with that. I finished H701.. drove it... then looked for a new project instantly

Just think that encouraging ideas can lead to some new cars finally appearing

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I'd opt for none of the above, all way too complicated and destined for failure and/or dissapointment.
My idea is identical to the VW TSi setup so i beg to differ :p
If its good enough for a company like VW its good enough for me
ygy7ede9.jpg

pork

Club Member
Was chatting to bloke on RR, he's done this to his land rover :D !!

gegu5yqe.jpg

ra5a9u4y.jpg

His is compound charged.........so am I right in thinking its turbo straight into s/c, no bypass gubbins at all?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Do it..
Do it..
Do it

I stil prefer Supercharger first tho with atmospheric opening for turbo

But if these methods are in use they must be good :D

solarice

Ex. Club Member

Pah, that's the kind of thinking that's put this country where it is now. *cue national anthem and superimposed waving flag* lol.

I'd also consider it pretty straight forward. Though the bypass on mine was purely to help off boost breathing.

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Why not run just the supercharger, you can set them to give you say (for example) 6 psi from idle all the way to the red line...

This is the only thing on this thread that makes sense to me.
If you're trying to boost a Micra, whichever way you do it, it's not going to be easy. I'd like to see more S/C builds. There's less of them than Turbos.

Just my two cents

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
adding a turbo to a supercharger setup shouldn't be any harder than adding to an NA setup, space issues asside
Edit: shouldn't be MUCH harder

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I totally agree
A job is only as hard as you make it

@solarice said exactly what I was thinking and is exactly why I encourage thinking like this

Our dear @pork gas given me a completely ridiculous idea... but I'll give it a go ;) cheers Neil

I'm pleased cars like Solarices exist and a car like @enuo will soon exist. Its breaking the mould

There's more to a car than peak power folks

Back to the point of compound charging... I'd say space is the hardest part of these builds

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
I don't see it as breaking the mould, I just think a supercharger will give me more useable power delivery for city driving. I'm just aiming for a specific torque delivery rather than a power figure or turbo browny points ;)

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Pah, that's the kind of thinking that's put this country where it is now. *cue national anthem and superimposed waving flag* lol.

I'd also consider it pretty straight forward. Though the bypass on mine was purely to help off boost breathing.

Haha, it was purely related to previous posts. I've seen a lot of compound charged threads over the years and they're all pretty similar ;) The reference to the Lancia S4 is getting warm though.

I'm still plenty busy doing NA properly, which aside from a minor CNC operation is almost ready for an enjoyable winter build up.

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
this is awesome until you look closer and realise that they're pressurising the fuel as well..... no wonder there were fires in group B!
How else do you move fuel? You try and get fuel at 0psi to move into a chamber thats at 6+psi...

baguete

Site Supporter
I wanted to do a compound charging system, i would run it this way:

Air Filter -> Turbo -> Blowoff valve -> Throttle Body -> Supercharger -> Intercooler-> 200SX S14 MAF -> Intake

On my turbo setup (like pollyp) i'm using the MAF after the turbo with good results, no problems blowing air to it, and it only reads what is going to the engine. The throttle body before the supercharger limits the pressure the supercharger does (no air entering, no boost, would behave like a NA engine at low throttle), same goes with the turbo, when the throttle body closes the blowoff valve vents the air to the atmosphere and cuts the air to the supercharger. The supercharger must be a volumetric type, because it just goes by air amount, not pressure, it just compresses the air the enters at whatever boost level. And the supercharger will help the turbo at low revs by sucking the air and by adding more exhaust gasses. The only issue with this is the temperature at which the supercharger will work, can be partially solved with another intercooler between the turbo and the supercharger.

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
What about twin-charging with a screw supercharger and a centrifugal supercharger, with electronic clutches switching between the two at the moment the centrifugal charger overtakes the screws ability to create boost?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
What about twin-charging with a screw supercharger and a centrifugal supercharger, with electronic clutches switching between the two at the moment the centrifugal charger overtakes the screws ability to create boost?
Seems reasonable... but it'll be a question of space again?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Sorry for that... :rolleyes:

Like this but with the throttle body before the supercharger:

diagram4.jpg

Final boost:

[(Turbo Boost + 1bar) * (Supercharger Boost + 1bar)] - 1bar = Final Boost
Makes more sense.
I think it was an information overload moment on my part :p

Sp assuming 7 psi on the S/C and 14psi on the turbo
You're looking ay
(14 + 14) * (7 + 14) - 14 = 574psi.. you sure?

baguete

Site Supporter
(1bar + 1) * (0,5bar + 1) - 1 =
2bar * 1,5bar - 1 =
3bar - 1 = 2bar

Seems good for me using bars.

But even if you only see 1bar on the turbo outlet, you need it to flow like 2bar as all the air must flow through it.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
2bar * 1,5bar - 1 =
3bar - 1 = 2bar

But even if you only see 1bar on the turbo outlet, you need it to flow like 2bar as all the air must flow through it.
Aye I get all that :)
It was 500+ psi figure :p

baguete

Site Supporter
Aye I get all that :)
It was 500+ psi figure :p

At 500+ psi it would get some proper HP figures :D

Oh, and i forgot one thing, because of the compound charging, the intake and exhaust have low pressure differencial, you can use some wild cams like on a NA engine.

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
2bar * 1,5bar - 1 =
3bar - 1 = 2bar

Bar is much better, imperial units are a relic from when britain thought it ruled the world...

h701micra

Deactivated Account
At 500+ psi it would get some proper HP figures :D

Oh, and i forgot one thing, because of the compound charging, the intake and exhaust have low pressure differencial, you can use some wild cams like on a NA engine.
That's exactly why I think its a brilliant idea and can't understand why people haven't tried?