Sump

pork

Club Member
Couple of questions,

I need to remove the sump to put fitting in for turbo return pipe,

Can I take it off with the engine still in the car?

Where snouts do I put the return feed fitting? From what I gather its above the oil level.

So once sump is off, is it easy to tell where the oil level was?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I've got the hose made up all ready, and bulk head fitting :)

Jus need to know where to drill, and if I can take sump off in place

SirChris

Educated Bodger
ahh i see! sorry mate was reading quick at work ATM. If I recall mine (K11) is actually submerged I think. Better wait for Frank :D

frank

Club Member
:D mine,s about 2" down from the sump flange pork, so it gives about 3" of drop/gravity from the turbo outlet, and you will need to remove the sump tbh.
but you could use a crankcase breather instead with a topmount tubby

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Can I remove the sump whilst engine is in the car?

I've had a quick look in the dark (don't get home early enough fir daylight )

There seems to be a couple off bolts that don't seem to accessible

frank

Club Member
with a wobbly socket extension yes, its a damn messy mofo job tho mate, the CG,s have a convenient crankcase breather on the front to tap into for topmounts, how about the dipstick tube ?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Hmmmm, never thought off that,

Should of really asked these sort off questions before I bought expensive braided hose :(

Spose I could try that, jus to get things running for now

Plans are to rip everything out again once I know it 'works', then make things all pretty and shiny and new lol :D

pollyp

Club Member
with the sump off, fit the dipstick then measure from the engine block to the dipstick max level to find the oil level. then you could fit the drain port above this level so whenever you unplug the drain hose it doesn't just empty itself

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
with the sump off, fit the dipstick then measure from the engine block to the dipstick max level to find the oil level. then you could fit the drain port above this level so whenever you unplug the drain hose it doesn't just empty itself

Dam fine idea!

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Finnaly sump is off.
Before I drill hole, should I do it below this plate?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361373781.390543.jpg

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
above the level eh neil, mine is about 2" down from the flange :)

I'm gunna use this bulkhead fitting, gunma trim it down a bit, but any where above that plate in the sump, and it's gunna catch the crank, it's pretty tight in there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361374507.258671.jpg

What would happen if the oil line wasn't fully above oil line?

frank

Club Member
i dunno tbh mate :)
my (longer throw) CGA crank hit mine lol, the clatter is on my youtube channel somewhere :) (it quietened down after ragging it round the block :))

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Ok, so here's pic with dipstick in

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361376402.085500.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361376415.301387.jpg

The top level mark is in line with the crank plate thing (proper term?)

And the plate in sump goes just beneath it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361376512.552078.jpg

So only place is below oil level.

Or should I not use this bulkhead, and weld something outside of sump to screw fitting into?

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
personally I would fit it as high as possible as you need to get rid of the oil out of the turbo with only gravity. Can you not mount it along the next crank cradle arm from the dip stick?

Stani1029

Club Member
Does it need to be a screw on fitting? I used to drill a hole and weld in a pipe at a slight angle so it was flush on the inside. Never failed me