Sub/Amp kit?

M

m1ck97

I was supposed to be buying one off a mate, but he decided not to sell it. I've been looking on ebay. seen a kit for £99, has a 400w sub, amp and wiring kit

sub + amp kit

link 2

How do you think it'll be? I dont need anything too loud, as its there as support to my music, and dont want something that'll blow my ears out. Is 400w sufficient or do i need something bigger? 1000w?

or is it better to get something like this:

link

and get a amp/wiring kit seperately?

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
Mornin'

I've got 400W and a 10" sub (both Kenwood) in my boot. Sounds great. If you want it, there's enough to give you a headache and vibrate the side mirrors to the bass!

I got my from CAD for about £120 (+15 p&p) - again it was a kit with sub, amp and wiring kit. You'll need an enclosure as well, obviously.

That box you've got the link to looks absolutely mental! Would it fit in the boot of a Micra? Love the looks anyway!

Check out the thread (ICE Question, posted 03/01/2006 - sorry, don't know how to link to it). There's a few negative comments about SPLX stuff, so you might want to avoid it...

Rich

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

Superb replies. I have looked on other websites for new prices but they always seemed alot more (£200+)

If I dont get any better links, I'll go with that kit Retepetsir, thanks man.

L

lewis

Before you buy the sub you need to decide which type of music you're going to be listening to.

If its going to be fast music ie trance then you will want smaller subs, 10'' or so. For something like Rap you want 15''. If you listen to a wide variety just go for 12'' 's ;)

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
A 12" is a good compromise :)

Also, my 10 can do rap music perfectly well thank you, it's all in the design (i.e. big ported box!) ;)

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
splx amps are crap. Dont get one. Cheap components inside and easily blow.

Halfords have a good deal on tbh.. £199 for JBL sub amp and amp kit or £199 for Fusion stuff which is better :) Check local halfrauds and see! I got to say their stuff at times is good :) (£280 VIBE Active Sub 12" - Cost me £179.99 lol They messed up :))

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
is sony xplode any good? i want a couple subs + amps to put in the middle of the back seat(its a install thing i want) and want to no if tha any good?

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
my made said fusion are poo.they look ok tho! theyve got belta sub+ amp kits boxes in the big team valley store halfrauds for 200 bar, luvly aswel!

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
the Xplode are good subs :) 1200W Max Power but you look for RMS value which means the TRUE power :) Bigger the RMS Better the Sub and quality. Also want a sub that does Low range hz eg 10hz to whatever. :) Lower it is the more lower sounds you can get.

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
R05_Micra said:
my made said fusion are poo.they look ok tho! theyve got belta sub+ amp kits boxes in the big team valley store halfrauds for 200 bar, luvly aswel!

well fusion came 2nd in a Max Power Amp Guide ;) for best reliablilty AND actually produces more power than what it says (Amp wise) :)

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Andy_S said:
the Xplode are good subs :) 1200W Max Power but you look for RMS value which means the TRUE power :) Bigger the RMS Better the Sub and quality. Also want a sub that does Low range hz eg 10hz to whatever. :) Lower it is the more lower sounds you can get.

They are not good subs......in my opinion and many others anyway!

There are far better quality items for the £££, Sony 'used' to be good, until they started mass producing rubbish for the Halfords typical ice customers.....!

Fusion are not that good, do NOT believe what max power say (they said the Bugatti Veyron actually had 3000bhp, and that it lost 1000 in the cooling system and 1000 in the transmission :laugh:), read a dedicated car audio mag.

Checkout www.talkaudio.co.uk for some good advice (and signup to the forums). I am also 'retepetsir' on talkaudio :)

Look at (for budget systems), JBL, Pioneer, Magnet, Blaupunkt, Alpine and Vibe for decent budget equipment :)

DoomPixie

Ex. Club Member
i'll measure the actuall power output from the fusion amp that is included in the kit.. bought one a couple of day's back, just have to fit it.. thats happenign tommorow.. first impressions look good though, everythign looks well made ( you knwo me, have to rip everything apart ;)) have had the sub hooked upto my 200Watt RMS sub amp at home which runs through active crossover mids/highs being fed by valve amp's (all DIY gear) and first impressions is it wipes the floor with my old sub WHEN IT GETS GOING! that is the other thing i noticed, it takes a lot more power before this sub actually works well, with the volume anywhere past about 25% it kills my sub i use at home (also 12" ported) but lower than that and the other sub is deffinatley louder obviously not great test as it is in a home environment and not in the car.. would power the amp up on the bench now and measure power output but my power supply is only capeable of 13.8V 15A and has no overcurrent protection so i dont wanna risk it, will do it in car tommorow.. the wireing kit isnt too bad either.. 4Ga, nice 12Ga speaker cable..
the JBL amp and sub packag ein halfords here is 179.99 btw.. :) i got my fusion kit from them for £99.99 reduced from 199.99 which was reduced from 299.99. (aparently, strange how its 199.99 everywhere else..lol)

DoomPixie

Ex. Club Member
i know that.. but they are both car subwoofers.. tghe other one is an old jensen, cant remember the model but it has white basket and white rubber cover on the magnet. Will finish fitting the amp tommorow and let you all know what the "Real" power output is.
Owen

DoomPixie

Ex. Club Member
measured the output from the fusion amp today.. measured 234Watt RMS bridged into a 4Ohm load.. this was with the amp running on a voltage of 13.97V..

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

I've just received my sub today. Its a little to dark to install it tonight, so its time for a little background questions

What is the best way to secure it so it doesnt slide around my boot?

Whats the recommended way to get the wires from my sterio to the back of the boot? Through the glove box, and under the carpet on the passenger side?

DoomPixie

Ex. Club Member
i ran power wires down the passengers side in the plastic trunking that is already there and rca leads down drivers side behind the plastic trunking so theres a lil more space between them and the wireing loom that runs down the drivers side and it worked fine.
Owen

L

lewis

I ran the power cables down the passenger side of the car, the remote lead down the middle and the other cables along the drivers side.

If I were to do it again I would run the remote along the drivers side as its a lot more hassle than its worth.

Good luck and if you need any help just ask, I've done it twice recently so should be able to answer any problems! :)

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

I have quite alot of cables, i had a quick look earlier today, it looks like a horrible task to even wire it all together.

I'll attempt it tomorrow morning, but before I do are there any general guides knocking about.. as this is my first time installing a sub/speakers, It looks pretty hard!

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

Well I wired it up to my stereo and forgot the damn remote cable.

But im stumped on this battery lead. People are saying I need a fuse inbetween my amp and my battery... My amp comes with a fuse already, do i still need one?

If i still need one... how do i wire it in? I'm also stumped into which wire it is.. I have a thick red wire, with a black plug type thing on one end and a circular connector on the other! Is this the wire i require? Which end goes where though?

This was a brand new kit, and would have thought they would have sent some decent instructions.. I got a small booklet relating to the amp, but nothing about installing it.

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

Where does the remote cable plug into on the headunit?? I'm assuming its the blue thin cable, but im not sure where to plug it in??

B

benmicrasr

It doesn't plug in, there should be a little thin blue wire at the back of your stereo and you have to connect the remote wire from your cables you brought to this wire!

B

benmicrasr

It doesn't plug in, there should be a little thin blue wire at the back of your stereo and you have to connect the remote wire from your cables you brought to this wire!Hope this helps

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

I've finally got round to sorting most of the setup over the weekend, but the lack of an internet connection stopped me from posting. I have 2 blue wires leading from my HU. One dark blue wire saying: AMP REM MAX, and a lighter blue wire with ATT on it.Which wire do I wire it into? Everything else is wired up (finally), so pending a reply the final wire (the remote cable) should be wired up tomorrow.

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
Wire it to the AMP REM wire - this is the Amp Remote control (to power the amp when the HU is on).

The other one is an attenuation control which mutes the audio when a car phone kit is installed and the phone rings.

Let us know how it sounds when you've got it all up and running!

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

Yup that worked, Its working now, it sounds great!

It'll take a day or 2 to get the optimised settings on my hu and on the amp! I didnt think it was going to work straight away.

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

Here are some pic of my sub and amp:

Im not really sure what to connect my amp to yet, should I screw it to my boot floor or to the seat? I dont really want to damage anything, Is there a space that will allow me to easily secure the amp? I also find my sub moves sometimes, whats teh best way to ensure it wont slide? Velcro?

I know its messy, but I plan to sort the wiring out once everythings secure!

Attachments

• IMAGE_00046.jpg
    IMAGE_00046.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAGE_00047.jpg
    IMAGE_00047.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 279
A

andrewb150

All the Hifi enthusiasts will properly cringe at this compromise, but I just screwed my amp onto the Sub Box. The Screws were short so did not pierce the inside of the box (tho I can’t imagine you would notice any difference even if it did, how much air would you loose through a tightened screw) and it does not vibrate at all. Now the things so heavy it don’t budge an inch no matter how I drive.

OP
OP
M

m1ck97

My screws look quite long, so im not keen on screwing it onto the sub box. I've still not found anywhere that looks safe and secure to screw it to.

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
andrewb150 said:
All the Hifi enthusiasts will properly cringe at this compromise, but I just screwed my amp onto the Sub Box. The Screws were short so did not pierce the inside of the box (tho I can’t imagine you would notice any difference even if it did, how much air would you loose through a tightened screw) and it does not vibrate at all. Now the things so heavy it don’t budge an inch no matter how I drive.

Yes, you can do that if you want, but you NEED to bolt the sub box down somewhere!

Just think about what would happen in a crash........the 30kgish box would come either over or THROUGH the seats (the momentum in a crash would be immence) and you could quite easily kill someone with it o_O

m1ck97, Dont use velcro, bolt or screw the sub box down to the floor pan, or to the back of the seats in some way, it needs to be secure!

you should of went for another brand. splx is too expensive for what it is. for another £50 you could of bought vibe etc and the sound quality would have been alot better. but aslong as ur happy and personally i would go for on the back seat with the amp