sub/amp help please

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
sub: alpine 12" type R (SWR 1241D)

Amp: alpine MRP M350
(apparently 750 watt max output,

this is for a mate of mine, basically the question is what are your oppinions on this amp? he has already bought the sub and is now looking for an appropriate amp. i said to get something more powerful to suit he sub better. i reckoned to go for something at 500RMS as i believe its better to over power than under power, is this right?

also he was looking at a vibe blackbox 2 for £150

can every one leave their oppinions and some more options on amps and prices etc. and their oppinions on the amp in question?

im lookng at all you ice guru people

cheers all

dave

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
The alpine amps are pretty good. I have a one with less power than that which is powering the sub but really it needs to be more powerful though. However it does sound quite impressive for what it is though. :)

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
Just to say you shouldnt over power anything, thats how things go pop!
I have a 1200w sub and i dont think id feel comfy powering it with anything over 1000w amp!

Hugh

Davey, should be a reaosnable combination as Alpine stuff is pretty good.

There is nothing wrong with over powering, as long as people are sensible with gains etc. You end up with more headroom in the system. Besides you will not be pushing the full output from the amp at all times.

Kev,
You'll end up doing more harm than good by underpowring as you're more likely to push the amp into clipping, and then end up with fried voice coils.

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
kev_mono72 said:
Just to say you shouldnt over power anything, thats how things go pop!
I have a 1200w sub and i dont think id feel comfy powering it with anything over 1000w amp!

It's better to overpower than underpower.

If sub's die - it's usually due to an amplified clipped signal (as Hugh said). 90% of the time its due to too little power, than too much!

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
Ah, right so, so its better for the amp to overpower a sub, and good for the sub as long as your smart with the gains...
I get ya, ive just never heard of that before, thanks!