sub amp capacitor

camoxodka

car half done :)
okay so as it says in the thread name i bought a sub, amp and capacitor, but when i wired everything up the amp just refuses to come on the capacitor is showing a constant 12.7 to 12.9 volts but not power is going to the amp ?? what could it be? help me please

OP
OP
C

camoxodka

yea i am sure but i am going to double check the remote wire in the headunit because i dont think it is connected properly so i might solder it together.. also i am getting sparks from the remote wire to the amp when i connect it, so i think it might be a dodge connection but i am also going to run the 12volt wire to the amp straight without the capacitor :).

Again. From my experience the capacitor wiring isn't related to the amp. There is no wires coming to or from the capacitor to the amp. So are you sure you sure you got it wired right?

skymera

Brutal Honesty
I have my amp wired to my battery with a fused live wire. It's also earthed at the back under a bolt.

Then the amp is wired into the sub and remote from my stereo, don't think I have a capacitor?

OP
OP
C

camoxodka

mckenziecz, the capacitor is wired to the amp because the live wire is connect to the capacitor and then the wire runs to the amp. and i have the amp grounded and the capacitor grounded in different places. a capacitor looks like a tube which has digital display on how much volts you are getting, atm i am getting a steady 12.8 12.9 which is correct from my research but i have checked everything over and everything seems to be okay :) i rang the person that sold it to me an he is going to meet me tonight to have a quick look through because he says that i might have wired it wrong.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
mckenziecz, the capacitor is wired to the amp because the live wire is connect to the capacitor and then the wire runs to the amp. and i have the amp grounded and the capacitor grounded in different places. a capacitor looks like a tube which has digital display on how much volts you are getting, atm i am getting a steady 12.8 12.9 which is correct from my research but i have checked everything over and everything seems to be okay :) i rang the person that sold it to me an he is going to meet me tonight to have a quick look through because he says that i might have wired it wrong.

Fault finding definitely needed. I would check the following;

Check head unit remote wire with a voltmeter to check +12v output.
Check amp remote function by briefly bridging the +12v amp supply to the remote input.

The above will rule out or confirm both a faulty head unit and amp remote trigger.

With regard to the capacitor, if you are showing voltage then in principle it seems to at least be connected between supply and ground. Regarding the wiring, the +12v supply will be in-line between the +12v supply and amp +12v input.

Wire trace will be: +12v battery supply engine bay -> fuse -> capacitor +'ive distribution block in boot -> short +12v jumper to +12v amp supply.

Both amp and capacitor have separate grounds.

I've seen people wire these things up all sorts of ways....

as far as i know thats not the way to wire a capacitor. did you test the wires going to the amp?

Untitled-1-3.jpg

OP
OP
C

camoxodka

yea i checked everything and i think that it might be the ground. however a faulty amp maybe the problem ? and what is a distribution block ?

Hugh

If you are still having problems I'm back in the area next week. Can always come take a look if you want?

OP
OP
C

camoxodka

i have fixed it, i just got a diagram from pollyp and then a voltmetre and it was just the remote wire that was not connect to the correct wire :)