• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

SU carbed k10

frank

Club Member
I knew i seen a video of a home made one !!!!!

Whats on the other side frank ????
you mean whats the back look like ?

PB160061.JPG

OP
OP
padraicR
Love to hear this :) lightened flywheel it is :) i dont want to drill as many holes if thats possible , just want to lighten in by skimming it on lathe and then try and balance it :)

I assume that its just a bar going through ? You didnt bother touching crank shaft ?

frank

Club Member
Love to hear this :) lightened flywheel it is :) i dont want to drill as many holes if thats possible , just want to lighten in by skimming it on lathe and then try and balance it :)

I assume that its just a bar going through ? You didnt bother touching crank shaft ?
yes a bar that fitted into the bearing, and the f/w is more critical than the crank :)

OP
OP
padraicR
Epic :) good old gravity , best tool ever ! Never mind all those computers lol :p

Thanks again frank , although i like to be sure , so when i go at it ill surely have a question or two for you :p

OP
OP
padraicR
Its not a neat job but to be fair he had paid me and was almost leaving when he decided to give it to me might clean it up and heat wrap it
na6ugetu.jpg

OP
OP
padraicR
having serious issue's getting the car to run :/ sometimes it starts perfectly and now i just cant get it to go, im conivnced its not the SU i think i have an ignition problem, or my bigger fear that the timing is out :( may just take the engine out altogether and do a few bits if thats the case

pork

Club Member
having serious issue's getting the car to run :/ sometimes it starts perfectly and now i just cant get it to go, im conivnced its not the SU i think i have an ignition problem, or my bigger fear that the timing is out :( may just take the engine out altogether and do a few bits if thats the case
God dam carbs, I'm having issues too, gotta get the jets right mate makes all the difference

OP
OP
padraicR
I dunno was advised to have BDL and luckily one of my SU's i got had BDL so i have that one ,

First issue i cant find my spark plug socket anywhere , 21mm ordinary changed cylinders 1,2,3 but cyl 4 plug is broke and i cant get it out to swap it ! I forgot to change the plugs when i got the head on! :/

Second issue was while it was running i was getting a popping noise through exhaust which had me and my cousin thinking when i put on ma12 head could i possibly been tooth out with timing belt , :/ so next step is to re check the marks tomorrow !

If i do go get / when i do get this all right and running i want to use that 4-2-1 exhaust mani i got for a while , while i save up for more stuff for turbo job , still have to get a rebuild carbon seal kit for turbo

I

OP
OP
padraicR
Yup cyl 4 cant get the socket in over the head of the head bolt :/

Maybe for some miricle reason if i change the plug it will run ( living in hope )
Could do with a new coil but thatll cost me
40/50 euro by the sounds of it

OP
OP
padraicR
Its out , and i think the same block wont go back in , may have gotten myself a march engine , power steering and bits on it , just dont think ill use that block again have a bad feeling about it , either that or use my spare block ( low compression)
edunytej.jpg

6anyraru.jpg

OP
OP
padraicR
Was thinking what colour to put on then engine bay , found some peugoet gold on sale in my motor factors so said what the hell ill try it out :
yqebaqaz.jpg

Still waiting to get this march engine , so wondering if i should clean nd paint up l/c block and pop that back in with the su, then get back on track

OP
OP
padraicR
So made the trip yesterday, started the engine when i got there and i swore iv never heard an engine running as sweet , it was so smooth from cold it was unbelievable !
Got myself the march 1.0 engine , roughly 50 000 miles on the engine from new , ill have power steering now and a good engine to start with :) ill get some photos later

OP
OP
padraicR
Damn tapatalk , one let
Me upload pictures keeps asking for a username ,
Wanted to upload pic of a box i found under pasenger seat were idle control normally is , looks like ecu , has nissan 500 on the top of it

Edit: on the ma10 march i took engine out of

OP
OP
padraicR
Anyone know what weight k10 flywheel is as standard , just resurfaced working surface on mine and machined off some un important weight , forgot to weight it before hand and want to find out how much i lightened it by

OP
OP
padraicR
It was square down to .05 of a mm , , only way its out of balance is if it wasnt perfectly in balance coming from factory and the weight was counter acting it and now it isnt , but i think itll be fine , once i get back from nec car show in england this weekend im buying a clutch and then its all going back together , time will tell !
Also this march engine makes turbo project 5 times easier , the air con pump has same brackets as altenator so i can put the altenator down there and belt it up ! Sorted !

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I can't see it being out of balance personally.

I need to do that on mine. But alternator at the back in place of the pas pump

OP
OP
padraicR
Is it the same ? I was expecting to have to make up a bracket and thats the only thing from turbo build i was dreading , think ill move it down now before engine goes back in , it actually seems like removing air con pump and placing altenator in standard place is more work than just swaping air con for altenator , only noticed last night and it made my day ! Better start saving up again , need rebuild kit for turbo after the clutch and few other bits ,

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Clutch is an easy one if you understand how they work
Use a standard pressure plate and release bearing but buy a 4/6paddle friction plate to increase clamping force without increasing pedal stiffness :)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Would you mind explaining the friction plate more ? So i know what to get
Sure...
Say a pressure plate exert 180lbs of force on the friction plate
A standard friction has say an inch thick band of material all the way round. Lets say 18 inches. So its 18 square inches.

180lbs of force over 18 square inches is 10pounds per square inch

If you use a 6 paddle clutch you're then taking 6 chunks put the friction plate. If they are an inch in width. Thats 1 square inch each x 6 = 6square inches now missing.

This leaves 12square inches of material on the friction plate.
The same 180lbs of force applied over 12 square inches is now 15pounds per square inch.

You've increased clutch clamping force but not increased the effort your foot has to make :)

People dont tend to break clutches into components and you've probably seen it often how a high clamping clutch has to be mega stiff and unusable daily... its not the case. If you actually understand clutches its quite simple to increase clamping force without physical effort. Something new to hear for many I'm sure

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Sure...
Say a pressure plate exert 180lbs of force on the friction plate
A standard friction has say an inch thick band of material all the way round. Lets say 18 inches. So its 18 square inches.

180lbs of force over 18 square inches is 10pounds per square inch

If you use a 6 paddle clutch you're then taking 6 chunks put the friction plate. If they are an inch in width. Thats 1 square inch each x 6 = 6square inches now missing.

This leaves 12square inches of material on the friction plate.
The same 180lbs of force applied over 12 square inches is now 15pounds per square inch.

You've increased clutch clamping force but not increased the effort your foot has to make :)

People dont tend to break clutches into components and you've probably seen it often how a high clamping clutch has to be mega stiff and unusable daily... its not the case. If you actually understand clutches its quite simple to increase clamping force without physical effort. Something new to hear for many I'm sure
The downside being by reducing the contact patch you increase the heat generated when slipping, so you have to adjust your driving style slightly to prevent burning up the clutch. Not a big deal mind.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
The downside being by reducing the contact patch you increase the heat generated when slipping, so you have to adjust your driving style slightly to prevent burning up the clutch. Not a big deal mind.
Very true that's why I avoid 3/4paddle plates :)
6paddle is enough

OP
OP
padraicR
Thanks andy :) throwing in those figures helps me understand. Only thing being it makes it a very expensive clutch ( yes im a cheap skit) , iv seen them on ebay i think for 150 euro , maybe im wrong i need to look again tonight on laptop ,