stuck in second gear!

Hi all, Went to pick up son from school, lights changed and when changing from first to second heard a big clunk and the car is now stuck in second gear and will not change. The clutch works as normal but the gear lever will not budge out of second. Any ideas? I have searched for an answer on this sire but to no vail. Manual gearbox by the way. Could this be rear gearbox mounting?

Last edited:
Could be one of the following if the shifter won't move it might be linkage.
Shifter linkage,Clutch/Pressure plate or release bearing.
You can check the gear shifter linkage cables from the engine bay at gear box..
Also you may want to consider looking at the gear shifter end to see if its still connected.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Thank you for your reply. The clutch seems to work fine as it is still driveable and I drove it home after the sudden clunk. Since then the car can be driven but only in second.

If one of the linkage cables has popped out or snapped from the gearshifter. The stick it self may become stuck in that spot. You would need to explore to see if that's the case. And probably would be able to tell if they are loose at the gearbox end.
One definitely will be if its not connected.

Thanks, When you say gear shifter do you mean the gear lever? Is that inspectable from underneath? I think I am going to get it up on axle stands to check what is what.

Yes the gear lever

If you look at my blog the last post shows what they look like on k12 micra.
I'm not sure how it is accessed in k11 most likely its similar though
They should both be connected to the mechanism.

Downside is may need to drop the exhaust to get at it.
Could be a bushing has given out or the connection on end of cable may have broken off.

Initially was told it was engine mountings but I have tried to move the engine but it is solid. If there is no cables to pop off their mountings then it must be the gearbox? If it is the gearbox then the car has to go unless I can find a replacement in a scrapyard.

Yes, I will, but nothing noticeable, it is 2002 1litre. The gear lever is in the correct position for second gear but will not disengage. It is as if you are pushing against a rubber bush or something?

Yes, I will, but nothing noticeable, it is 2002 1litre. The gear lever is in the correct position for second gear but will not disengage. It is as if you are pushing against a rubber bush or something?
Be the case of jack up, look, take heat shield off above the mid resonator (afew 10mm , doesn't need refitting if they break)
Go over everything ,
Till you check everything ect before going on the expensive side of buying,
Have it on stands (use the rear wishbone mounts,) and have someone try and move the lever while your looking at it see if there anything abnormal ect,
Could be a mount ,joint failed don't know to you look tbh

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

frank

Club Member
1.5 n16 mera,s had many g/box problems (same box)
i can remember k11 boxes being shipped to germany for their n16,s , and they fetched £200 each at the time

No, I think I will let the garage do anything underneath it from now on. It cost me less than the cost of a good trolley jack to get it repaired.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
1.5 n16 mera,s had many g/box problems (same box)
i can remember k11 boxes being shipped to germany for their n16,s , and they fetched £200 each at the time
Yes my best friends family own a scrapyard, and sold many K11 boxes with manual clutch assemblies swapped in to replace the hydro clutch on the n16, he was telling me that only 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my LG K11+ (yes I did buy the phone specifically to have a K11 phone, I'm that sad)