strut or balljoint knocking

Right guys went out to diagnose my knocking suspension this morning and discovered theres alot of play in my strut and I think this is what the knocking is. Tire shake method sees far more play in passenger side than is acceptable. Is this just a case of tightening em up or new struts?. I gpt a trilling knocking rattling noise whether going over small bumps (drain covers) or big ones like potholes (scottish roads) dunno if balljoint is knocking or not but im sure the strut is. Car also sits far too low on the affected side, any correlation? Car is on stock suspension.

I would have thought it's more likely to be a worn ball joint or track rod end really. The strut is pretty much fixed solid with the two turret bolts and the lower two hub ones.

Track rod ends have been replaced. Though tracking is out ( will get laser tracking soon) just snapped my drivers side top strut bolt so its now being secured by one bolt. Need a new strut or two now. Cars getting more dangerous to drive by the day lol.

a random clunking noise is usually the bottom balljoint, but when you jack the car up the play disappears so you have to shake the top of the wheel while someone shines a torch at the b/b (unjacked)

Going to fit two new bottom balljoints anyway there only £14 each. Will now need another drivers side strut. So 25 quid for strut, 30 for tracking and 40 for balljoints. Theres another hunner quid like that. Hopefully car doesnt fall apart on bypass in mean time. May not even be able to do it till after xmas.

Back