strut brace idea

superls

K10 Tuner
hi, i had an idea for a strut brace the other day, then i got all the parts i needed, (from work tho so they were free lol), i even borrowed the bender from work, anyways here it is, a nice shiney stainless strut brace.

what do you guys reckon?

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

pleanty of clearence

DSC01236.jpg

No cambelt cover - your brave... Anyway good effort. Thats definately one of the better looking DIY ones I've seen.

yer i thought that but so far it has been weld free cos i cant weld stainless, so i might try and get someone who can do i for me.

ed, ive only got the top part missing, owing to the fact i havent got one lol, i broke it.

yer i thought that but so far it has been weld free cos i cant weld stainless, so i might try and get someone who can do i for me.

ed, ive only got the top part missing, owing to the fact i havent got one lol, i broke it.

You can weld stainless with mild steel weld ok, but obviously that bit would go rusty. Stainless isn't that hard tbh even with stainless wire. Alu however is a whole different ball game... lol

ive welded stainless with mild steel wire but as u say it goes rusty, and the whole idea of stainless is to be rust free, lol, but yes i looked into getting stainless wire for the mig but i was told that you need different gas, (i use just pure co2 pub gas bottles), plus the wire is about 15 squid for a 2.5kg drum

Thats right argon/co2 mix is what you need. Sometimes its known as 'argoshield' at least thats the name of it on my BOC bottles etc.

thats what is supposed to be used for mild steel weld aswell isnt it, green ring around the top or a blue one? i forget.

but i got told that for stainless welding pure argon was needed?

if theres demand then im sure something can be sorted out, im actually going to be modding mine into an adjustable one.

unfortunately i only have about 12 inches of stainless tube left, so i would need to source more, it would be supplied in kit form and would be cheap compared with the figaro ones on ebay

That looks very smart, could do with something to join the two bars, maybe some kind of decorative plate wrapped round?

unfortunately i only have about 12 inches of stainless tube left, so i would need to source more, it would be supplied in kit form and would be cheap compared with the figaro ones on ebay

Can you put together a rear one for me, will chuck some pics on later of where i want it to go.

with the bolt points, did you cut half the pipe and boll it down?
only it looks at the bolt point a bit weak, probably isnt but just me
you could always try just squashing the end of the tubing so its flat, then bolt it on, you got twice as much strength then.
nice work btw, you could make some cash out of that

edit: never mind about the tubing thing, i see what you have done lol

i was going to attempt a rear one at some point, but wasent quite sure where it would mount on to the top of the suspension? chuck up a couple of pics and ill have a look

The last rear one I saw bolted to the narrowest part of the boot rather than the top of the struts, looked quite odd.

thats cool i think if you used a plate you could be really arty farty and put slogans on them like Nex or Nismo etc, like the plate welded to the two bars to bring them together. Im sorry if that sounds girly I think I know what Im talking about, i just think it would look cool.

thats cool i think if you used a plate you could be really arty farty and put slogans on them like Nex or Nismo etc, like the plate welded to the two bars to bring them together. Im sorry if that sounds girly I think I know what Im talking about, i just think it would look cool.

yes i totally agree, but as i said above not really that keen on welding stainless, perhaps if i got some stainless pop rivits? and poip rivited a plate on instead of welding it?

Back