Struggling to lower rear :(

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
Helpers are designed to compress fully under the weight of a car, in this case a polo. As a micra is lighter than polo, the micra can't compress them fully so you gain some ride height. Also 70mm on polo doesn't equal 70mm on micra as whats a shorter spring and shock length on one car might be same as stock length on a micra

OP
OP
AshDC
Helpers are designed to compress fully under the weight of a car, in this case a polo. As a micra is lighter than polo, the micra can't compress them fully so you gain some ride height. Also 70mm on polo doesn't equal 70mm on micra as whats a shorter spring and shock length on one car might be same as stock length on a micra
Polo shock is quite long :O
Everyone said polo 6n coilovers lower it so I'm slightly confused here :/ waste of £160 I guess

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Everyone said polo 6n coilovers lower it so I'm slightly confused here :/ waste of £160 I guess

tLZdyu4.jpg

I'm on 6n coilies at the rear and it's down no problem?

Check you've fitted them right, tight top and bottom, all rubbers and spring cups in as they're intended, coilies wound down. Then take it round the block and over some speedbumps or lumpy roads to get it all bumped down and settled in

h701micra

Deactivated Account
If your pictures are recent... your helper springs are in. If you want lower they'll have to go. You can then dial it back in on the shock.
It will be on the floor the pretty much

OP
OP
AshDC
When the car is in the air should the springs be captive and just drop the springs down the coilies and then get the weight of the car on then

h701micra

Deactivated Account
You adjust the coil over to make them captive before putting them on. So if you take your helpers out. Wind them up to get the main spring captive
I'd never trust a car that wasn't like this because if you were to lift there's a chance they wont reseat which is a tad dangerous in my opinion.
Leaving the ground would be worse. Not saying you will but why risk it?

OP
OP
AshDC
You adjust the coil over to make them captive before putting them on. So if you take your helpers out. Wind them up to get the main spring captive
I'd never trust a car that wasn't like this because if you were to lift there's a chance they wont reseat which is a tad dangerous in my opinion.
Leaving the ground would be worse. Not saying you will but why risk it?
I think once iv dropped it and the spring is snug with top and bottom i can tighten the top right up tight so if i do get lift it will all hold. basically so everything is almost squeezed down

Coilies are designed so that with helpers they can be right down and still captive so leave helpers in and go all the way down then fit them and get the weight on them then go for a drive to settle them a bit and look under with the weight still on them to see what's going on

OP
OP
AshDC
Coilies are designed so that with helpers they can be right down and still captive so leave helpers in and go all the way down then fit them and get the weight on them then go for a drive to settle them a bit and look under with the weight still on them to see what's going on

thanks for all the help guys. i have put the helpers in and wound all the way down like you said. it was only confusing me because i was wondering how to wind them all the way down. what i didnt know is that the cap the helper sits on can do allll the way down the shaft! but the rears are on and ill do the fronts tomorrow and get the wheels on.

at the moment the ride is awful. Hopfully the shocks will soften up a little cause i dunno if its a bouncy ride or a really hard on but hopfully everything will become better!

OP
OP
AshDC
Have you considered using the alto rear spring setup? ;) It's low (soon to go a touch lower) and comfy. Comfy lows FTW! :D

ha you taking the mick lmao! ill do fronts tomorrow and see how the ride is then. might be more balanced rather just hard rears.

comfy lows would be a dream!

the ride is worth the looks on peoples faces when they see a slammed micra. none around bristol really and got the car meet sunday so should be good! ill arrive in pain but #### it

Enuo is in Bristol and Motty and myself aren't too far

My comfy lows are for sale :) or px

OP
OP
AshDC
Enuo is in Bristol and Motty and myself aren't too far

My comfy lows are for sale :) or px

cant be spending any more money now got a holiday next month. ahh i see. was on last night down in cirbbs causeway but you gotta get there fast cause about 9.30 the cops come so everyone stop ragging it about then

skymera

Brutal Honesty
My ride is very hard. I blame my recent back issues on it.

I find myself sitting up over rough roads which means my back takes all the impact.:oops:

I am not joking either

My polo set is stiff but not bouncy, also I have lovely sexy recaro seats so I'm better off than on stock seats. They get a bit softer when settled in too

OP
OP
AshDC
My ride is very hard. I blame my recent back issues on it.

I find myself sitting up over rough roads which means my back takes all the impact.:oops:

I am not joking either
o wow :eek: i didnt realise that coilovers were that hard riding. i might change the rubbers i used in the top mount to some spacers and see if i can pull the shock up a little to get rid of a bit of harshness but hightly doubt it will work.

OP
OP
AshDC
its the shocks that give the ebay coilies the hard ride tho eh :) if the shocks were adjustable you could daily d them on the softest setting like polly does (but they would cost far more than £150 then tho ;))

is there anyyy way to get them a bit softer. even if the road looks smooth your still feel every single little bump. pot holes scare me now :/

h701micra

Deactivated Account
its the shocks that give the ebay coilies the hard ride tho eh :) if the shocks were adjustable you could daily d them on the softest setting like polly does (but they would cost far more than £150 then tho ;))
Tis very true but you got to admit a softer spring would help in terms of cheap coilies :)

frank

Club Member
is there anyyy way to get them a bit softer. even if the road looks smooth your still feel every single little bump. pot holes scare me now :/
you would have to alter the shimpack inside the damper i guess,i think there is some valving for the slow movement, and some for the fast movement (like a pressure relief valve)
a thinner grade of oil might help too :)