Stripped interior decisions

I have just stripped the interior of my micra
spurs207

As you can see there is some mess left in the footwell from the carpet/insulation - this will be removed.

I am not 100% sure what to do in the footwells? Surely it will be too slippy without any matts?

Also the doors, would they need to be covered to pass an MOT? should i make a simple door card from MDF or alike...

Any feedback appreciated!
photo.jpg

frank

Club Member
no creature comforts guy :eek: road noise ftl imo
i got mine down to 720kg with leaving the carpets and rear seats in (and yards and yards of bubblepack behind the plastic trims lol),
plastic weighs bug-rall, its the metal and sound deadener that needs to go :)

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Sound deadening weights a fair bit in total and can be removed from behind the dash area, in the footwells and also from underneath the car if you are that desperate, (a lot of effort and non-reversible). However, if cabin noise is a concern I'd think twice about it. Even a Group-N rally car is quite horrid without ear protection :eek:

You could remove sound deadening as said and paint the whole lot red. You can buy stuff called abs carbon sheet, cheap, and looks good, would be ideal to make foot plates and put skateboard tape, as karlj said on top of that.

Now THAT's serious weight shed :O.

Skateboard grip tape is your answer and you can get it already in red from leading board shops. For the doors, any flat material will do, I'd go with MDF or carbon fibre, depending on your budget. As it id I'd doubt it would pass an MOT as the door interiors would be considered sharp edges . . .

Looks hardcore though :)

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
snap! look exactly like mine! haha i removed the door, seals (around the edge, not the proper ones on door) be carefull of your head light banged mine a few times! and my back!

also leave the lower rear seat belt bolts in or cover them up with tape... they leak water into the foot wells. mine was like a paddling pool, i run some silicone around the bolt thread before i re-fitted them ;) doesnt leak now.

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
I've got a fully stripped interior too (with door cards, though) and I just use a set of Nissan mats in the front just so the floor doesn't get muddy and nasty or slippy. Been rocking it for a good couple of months now and so far I've had no problems.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i took the mats out, couldnt be doing with them crunching up and sliding everywhere lol really wound me up when they got under the pedal lol

Aweome peopel!

Thanks for all the feedback... i went to B&Q and got some 3mm hard board and used the old door cards as a template to cut around, going to get some thin foam and cover in some material.

The skate tape and carbon wrap for footwell sounds good, i am not farmiliar with the skate tape so will have a loo!

Not too fussed about road noise as it is more of a project car :)
Anyone attempted to re paint the matal work interior?

Oh i nearly forgot!

Any ideas what do to around the gear stick? i dont want the standard gater. Will it pass MOT as it is? The mounting plate has some sharp edges?

Should be ok can't see anything that would cause concern in the pic. To be safe just put a bit of tape on the worst of them if you're concerned (duct tape got me through a bunch of MOT's when I lived in UK) :)

Theres a guy on here called sleeper_ss who has done some hardcore stripping/weight removal with his Micra. Remeber he stripped all the sound deadening out and refinished the interior if I'm not mistaken? He has a blog, which makes a good read, linked below:

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/rat.31477/

If the link doesn't work check out the K11 blog board, he's about 3 or 4 pages along as he hasn't updated recently...

Hope that helps!?

Should be ok can't see anything that would cause concern in the pic. To be safe just put a bit of tape on the worst of them if you're concerned (duct tape got me through a bunch of MOT's when I lived in UK) :)

Oh thats good to know! i have made some door cards now anyway. I will go round with some foam and tape soon!

Theres a guy on here called sleeper_ss who has done some hardcore stripping/weight removal with his Micra. Remeber he stripped all the sound deadening out and refinished the interior if I'm not mistaken? He has a blog, which makes a good read, linked below:

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/rat.31477/

If the link doesn't work check out the K11 blog board, he's about 3 or 4 pages along as he hasn't updated recently...

Hope that helps!?

Nice one! i will have a look at that, could be of some help.

I have now started a new blog if you wish to see how i am getting on

my micra is stripped to a similar level. still have 2 front seats, but no dash, door cards, headlining, and so on. it passed its mot with all of these modifications (but this year it requires both the airbags to go back in :( )

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Mines stripped out,no carpets,plastic,sound deadening. Fitted Carbon Fibre door cards too,painted the front footwells in Smooth Black Hammerite and repainted the back AJ4 Flame Red to match the rest

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg