stricter mot,s

Thats a joke especially the illegal engine mods. Not that im worried cause im only turbo-ing my micra for better fuel economy :wasntme:

Also i wonder what the new MOT price will be with all these extra checks

Looking over the .PDF some of those are supposed to be checked now (wiring mount points, dash lights)...dont know many people are driving around with missing wings, maybe thats for the other EU countries.

Only wheel / road clearance problem i have is from the ridiculous speed bumps the council keeps putting everywhere...but then so does everyone whos not in a huge 4x4.

The only way i can see of them knowing if its an illegal engine mod is to contact the insurance company...or does illegally modified mean DIY / no garage receipt.

Why do i get the feeling they are slowly trying to wrap up all the stupid laws from every known country and put them all together as one.

Just had a thought, ermm who did the EU consult before changing this? apparently we arent allowed to change our socks without permission.

Maybe its time to warm up the victimization card after all everyone else gets to use it haha.

TBH I wish the EU would focus on trade (illegal and legal) between the different countries and leave everything else to be handled indvidually, no fun fair currency (stronger together pah),etc etc etc...if the population of *insert random EU country* all want to have barbed wire and sentry towers on their borders, then so be it. But i guess thats another matter.

"particularly as OEM are pressing against tuning of their ECU software, maintaining that it is their property, regardless of the vehicles sale"

That takes the #### another corporation claiming that even when they sell you a product they still own it. Guess a full ecu swap would be in order, mmm wonder if you could get your money back on the old one...like when you dont want windows installed as default on your new laptop.

Guess im in rant mood this morning lol.

I can just see MOTers not knowing what illegal mods are and failing people regardless. Half of the police don't know what is legal on a car already so I can see it leading to a lot of confusion.

"particularly as OEM are pressing against tuning of their ECU software, maintaining that it is their property, regardless of the vehicles sale"

That takes the #### another corporation claiming that even when they sell you a product they still own it. Guess a full ecu swap would be in order, mmm wonder if you could get your money back on the old one...like when you dont want windows installed as default on your new laptop.

Guess im in rant mood this morning lol.

Agreed mate, it takes the ####, once you've bought a car you should be able to do with it as you like if you don't mind compromising the warranty.

The part on emissons and VED makes sense I guess. Manufactures are squeezing below certain CO2 limits with little tweaks, then if you stick some wider wheels on your CO2 is back into the next limit. Having said that VED should be scrapped IMO.

I've been very tempted to stick the 3 cylinder Aygo engine in one of my kit cars, VED £15 on the donor car I think, VED on my car with the same engine £125 or whatever it is now

So the mot tester is gonna take apart an engine so see a lightened flywheel? or a sports clutch? how would they be able to tell if the ecu is different without taking my car apart... and as for wheel clearance you can F*** right off. i wanna be low enough to grind those damn speedbumps down. i'm just doing a public service! :wasntme:

nahh.... if they did this id move ive herd hid kit one for years i dout it will happen....also hope so or there will be alot of non moted cars on the road this country is getting stupied .!!! cant do anything anymore :( they put are fuel prices up they cant take moding away !!

I can't really see it happening....... Maybe only to nearly new cars anyway!! Old cars should be left as old cars...... As long as there safe it should pass!!

The tuning industry is too huge now so they can't really take it away!!

what are these illegal mods anyway? Don't they have to state these anyway do the general public are aware??

can anyone tell me what good comes from being part of the EU? i used to have one good reason for being part of the EU and that was so i could move to sweden easily, but it turns out its not, as i am still working through the paperwork for migration, so the EU didn't help at all there. i think the EU should be taken apart, there is NO BENEFIT from being part of it.

BS-Meter.gif

I could find no reference to any of such suggestions within the new ratified 2010/48/EU from 5th July. Interestingly though it was stated in (8) on page 1 that "The tests should be carried out using techniques and equipment currently available, and without the use of tools to dismantle or remove any part of the vehicle."

Good luck with checking for illegal engine modifications without removing anything from the car then....

I think for the moment this is nothing more than speculation as to how future MOT testing maybe carried out and as such I personally don't think this has any validity.

Me too! It's one bit of mindless beauracratic nonsense after another, all designed swell the coffers and inflate the egos of the idiots in Brussels grr.

Back