Strange rubbing/cluncking noise when driving

Last week I bought myself a 54 plate K12 1.2 SE. It's got 42k on the clock, came with a 3 month warranty from a local garage.

The car is perfect and drives well, but every so often when setting off in first, there's a sort of faint clunk noise from the front of the car. When driving, it feels like a clunk or rubbing noise. I thought it might be the gearbox, but even in neutral when the car is moving, it's there. It's hard to describe but sounds like something rubbing against a wheel as it's a repetitive noise rather than a constant one, but more often than not it's there.

Any ideas before I take it back to be checked?

Update: Driving round today, the noise is considerably worse, almost like a knocking noise. When setting off from standstill (in any gear, not just first) there's a clunk from the drivers side. When driving, the rubbing/clunking noise is louder. I've taken a look at the previous MOTs and there was an advisory for the "Nearside front Track rod end ball joint has slight play". The new MOT no longer has this and it looks like it was replaced as it looks newer. Could this have been fitted incorrectly? As I wrote previously, the car drives fine but it's developed into quite an uncomfortable noise when driving!

Not sure on the Micra but had similar on the clio before and it was the CV joint that had gone, is it worse when turning? The clio's stupid design means a new driveshaft but hopefully the Micra will be designed better and you'd only need to replace the joint (I think on my old Sunny SR the joint could be replaced separately so hopefully the same on the Micra).

OP
OP
jads
Not sure on the Micra but had similar on the clio before and it was the CV joint that had gone, is it worse when turning? The clio's stupid design means a new driveshaft but hopefully the Micra will be designed better and you'd only need to replace the joint (I think on my old Sunny SR the joint could be replaced separately so hopefully the same on the Micra).

That sounds about right! Turning right (especially going round a roundabout) the noise is even louder. The car doesn't feel different. I'm calling the garage I got it from tomorrow morning to get it sorted under their warranty. Looks like the joint was replaced before but might not be fitted properly.

With the clio, the gator surrounding the joint is notoriously cack, soon as that fails all the lubricating gunk (technical term) falls out and the joint gets shagged quickly. Had the track rod ends done on the clio a couple of weeks ago, they were causing the handling to be all over the place but no obvious noise from them.

OP
OP
jads
Well good news! Took it back to the garage and it turned out that some road debris had got caught in the brake disc and was rattling around. Five minutes in the garage and it's all sorted!