Strange problem.....

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Ok, firstly for those of you who don't know, I've got a 94' K11 LX and I know very little about car mechanics/electrics, so please excuse my ignorance.

I've just got back in from a night out and had something odd happen on the car. For some reason the blue main beam warning light didn't go out when I dipped the headlights from main beam going down a country lane where I live.....

Gave the lights a few flashes to make sure the main beam was actually reverting back to dipped when I pulled back on the light stalk and it did. But the blue light stayed on.

Got home, turned the ignition off, tried the side lights, dipped and main beam and all worked fine, except for the blue main beam light staying on the dash whenever I had any lights on (sidelights, dipped, main beam, everything). It just wouldn't go out.

Turned the ignition on and tried the lights again, and then there was a very strange buzzing noise when I put the sidelights on (the blue main beam light was still on the dash too). It sounded as though it was coming from the "lights on" warning buzzer, but it wasn't making the noise it usually does.....

Kept the ignition on and went up to dipped and main beam lights again, and the buzzing stopped. However the blue light stayed on.

No bulbs have gone and everything else seems fine. The lights themselves work fine. Its just this bloody buzzing and dash light thats the problem.

I'd like to get it sorted if I can because A: I can no longer tell if I have main beam on or not since the dash light stays on whenever I have the lights on, and, B: cos the buzzing is annoying the crap out of me whenever I put the sidelights on!

Any advice appreciated, ta :)

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
i can only suggest checking the relevant fuses and relays, and bulb holders/connectors (if its melted which it can on early micras it could be causing this i guess)

good luck :S

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Interesting. I'll get out there and have a look at the fuses/bulb holders, etc when I get a chance.

If its a relay that could make things interesting. Just got myself some super-S fogs/driving lights and I think I'm going to have to put a relay in for that too.....Come to think of it, I think the super-s lights connect upto the full beam don't they?.....or maybe I'm thinking of the K10 ones.

Oh well, all a learning process anyway.....

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
i think the super-s ones do connect to the full beam, im not sure. my fog lights i installed today needed a relay tho! they're the big blue things above the fuse box (have to get low down and look up at the fuse box kinda thing)

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
rlees85 said:
definatly sounds like a dead relay or melted bulb holder! (just played back sound file)

Cheers for that. I'll try and hold on until I get round to fitting the fogs then. See if I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Whatever it is it sounds terrible lol

I think Haylz did a very good guide on fitting super s lights to an early K11 like mine so I shall have to find that.

I'm guessing that to solve this then it'll just be a matter of checking over the bulb holders & fuses and possibly finding and replacing a faulty relay then.....

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
You will find that one of your headlights doesn't go onto full beam, turn the lights off and unplug the connector from this bulb and you will see that it has melted, replug and remove a few times to clear it and then you should be fine for about another two/three weeks before it happens again.

You can get new plugs from Nissan, but ones from a scrappy are just as good, but free!

James

Chairman
Craig said:
You will find that one of your headlights doesn't go onto full beam, turn the lights off and unplug the connector from this bulb and you will see that it has melted, replug and remove a few times to clear it and then you should be fine for about another two/three weeks before it happens again.

You can get new plugs from Nissan, but ones from a scrappy are just as good, but free!
Seconded. This problem plagued the early K11s, same happened to my old M reg 1.0 L

Gemma85

banished to the buses
happened in mine mine is 1998 R reg :p plug melted as they dont solder them in and they vibrate or something causing friction at least thats what the garage man said or something along those lines

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Well I have had a look following the advice of people on here and yes, my drivers side bulb holder is a crispy critter.....

Managed to get it working by just re-connecting it again, but I'm sure it'll fail again, so off to the scrappy I go when I get a chance.

The first pic is the passenger side bulb holder, the second is the melted drivers side one.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice. Very helpful :)

Attachments

• Ok (Small).jpg
    Ok (Small).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 392
  • Melted (Small).jpg
    Melted (Small).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 436
OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
rlees85 said:
ahh see what you mean.. those pictures need to be any bigger tho? lol! gd look getting it sorted

Cheers. Will get down to my local scrappy when I get chance and sort it out for good. Thanks for the advice.

Oh and pictures re-sized too :)

OP
OP
G

gam1984

Professional lurker.....
Yeah cheers mate. Its still playing up a bit, but I'm planning on getting another connector next week, so hopefully that'll sort it.