Strange oil pressure issue

Hi folks, hoping someone can help here, because I'm stumped.

I was asked to look over a 54,000 mile 2003 998cc K12 at a small dealer's for a cousin of mine. Drives well, feels and sounds like a 54,000 mile car. There were a few small issues which the dealer sorted, but my suspicions were raised as, once he had the deposit, he seemed extremely keen to get it off his hands, to the point of delivering it 25 miles to my house.

The next morning an issue became apparent: when started from cold it takes 12 seconds at idle before the oil pressure light goes out. During this time the engine is very quiet with no top end noise. In contrast, when the engine is hot, the light goes out instantly.

Upon collecting the car from me, the cousin dropped it to his local mechanic who offered the same diagnosis I did: a partially blocked or faulty oil pressure switch, but it seems, not so. The mechanic dropped the sump and cleaned the (already clean) strainer, then he flushed out the gallery, changed the oil and filter and finally replaced the oil pressure switch - all to no avail. He put a gauge on to it and said the pressure was fine, but I suspect the engine was probably hot at that stage. I'm a little vague on this as he's on the other side of the country and I'm getting this second-hand.

He also noticed that the sump and timing cover were sealed with gasket goo. I should have spotted this; clearly I'm getting old.

The car seems fine in every other way and is perfect when hot. There is no evidence of wear or noise. This is really bugging me and I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.