Strange and annoying starting problem

Lately I have been having great difficulty starting my Micra from cold, though it doesn't seem to be a problem with the engine.

What seems to be the problem is when I release the key from the "START" position to the "ON" position, the car just stalls regardless of how much I put my foot on the gas. If I keep hold of the key however, pushing it more towards the "START" position the car continues to run (until I let go of the key).

When I switch the car to "ON" from "OFF", the handbrake, battery and oil lights come on, but if I wiggle the key about I can make them go on and off accompanied by a clicking sound from somewhere within the dashboard.

Eventually after many many attempts it settles and will remain in the "ON" position with the car running. It gets better if the car is ran for a while then turned off, it will usually start then on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

I've also noticed that if I start the car, keep hold of the key and rev the engine high, then quickly switch the key to the "ACC" position and then back to "ON" this increases the chance that'll it'll continue to run when I let go of the key.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Back