Stop oil leak in a can??

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
I was looking for some REDEX stuff the other day in my local auto spares shop and noticed they have some stuff that i presume you add to the oil and it stops any leaks. I have a very small oil leak on my K10, maybe half a litre for every 1K driven. Has anyone used this?? is it safe for the motor? will it actually work?

i think i've put some of this in the mongolia micra (it needs it!!),

it just thickens the oil as far as I can see, a quick fix perhaps, wont do any harm but i doubt its much good.

fair point.. i didnt ask the guy in the shop if it was any good. ill have a chat next time im in there... any one else heard of this??

I've heard of the stuff that does this for radiator leaks, it's called Radweld and i'm pretty sure that stuff actually does work! lol

ive heard of it. it wont harm ur engine honest. i think it finds were engines are leaking from and sumhow makes sum kind of sealant. worth a try anyway init?

Half a litre per 1K sounds pretty good for an old car!

Redex seems to work, but some of the oil additives contain Teflon, which I've heard can do more harm than good. And everyone I know who has tried that Radweld stuff has knackered their heating system!

cooling system is top notch on me little car. never looses a drop. just it so annoying loosing oil! there is never a patch under the car, or even a speck, so the leak must require the pressure of a revving engine to loose oil. Im gonna give it a go and stear clear of the teflon containing bottles. If it works ill report back!!

Half a litre per 1K sounds pretty good for an old car!QUOTE]

that sounds alot to me, as mine is as old as his one and uses between an egg cup full and a small cup full in that milage! depepending on how heavy my right foot is, lol...

how about you find where you are losing oil from and fix it properly, what if it gunks up your system and in 500 miles your engine seizes? then you'll hav a real problem, lol. these additives rarely work and redex is a waste of money.

yeah, i have a feeling the leak is coming from the cam belt area. Its not burnin oil at all even when revved like mad its smokeless! redex did actually help when i used it although it actually wasnt redex, it was some other make but did the job!

I fixed oil leak from manual transmission box on k11 before. I chat with a guy in a shop about those products and he said he wouldn't keep it in the shelf if it does more harm than good. So I shopped around and saw Wynns product everywhere in local. And it stopped leaking. I think these aditive will help littel leak. I might need engin oil leak stop on my car now. Well, I would change oil if I don't feel the additive does any good.:grinning:

yamaimo... thats true what you say... if my engine starts to play up after adding the additive.. or the leak dont stop after 1000 miles then i can just change the oil and filter... lets face it.. K10's are ROCK ARD!!!! i seen a vid, on here i think, of a guy putting water and fairy liquid down the rocker cover and it still idle smooth as silk LOL!!

Oil leak stopped about one month later. Personally I agree with repairing it properly. On the other hand, I believe that keeping old engine oil does more harm than these additives. As oil oxidizes with heat it affects sealant and other thing chemically. One of my friends in Japan changes his oil every 3000 kilo meter (it is only about 2k miles!!). He keeps record of fuel consumption and says oil change has some affect on his petrol money. I am trying to follow his path, but, well,,,,it is not so easy. Most importantly I think keeping engine clean helps long lasting.

That's right Ollyc. He didn't save any money.:laugh: Well, I meant to say better performance for petrol money. I apologies if I didn’t explain well. His focus is that keeps his engine going with minimum trouble by frequent basic maintenance. I hear over there 2k miles service advice seems common. I don't know why. :confused: May be petrol is cheaper there.

change the oil dont use bodge additives. When your going somewhere HOT your best to change to a thicker oil anyway. Try 15W50. Dont waste your money on the above things.

I used this oil stop leak in my sisters hyundai and it stopped the leak. Ive also used it in her saxo and it slowed the leak down alot but did not stop it totally.

It works by swelling up the polythene(sp) gaskets. Its good stuff.

Anything that leaks should be fixed properly, and not with a pour in bodge fix.

Back