Sticky or otherwise twisted Key

Has anybody experienced a key situation when the key is hard to turn while the steering lock is disengaged.
this morning I watched a short video on the difference between china copy keys vs the original oem keys.

Okay so I have two keys both are original. They are not lets say in great condition after just over 100k miles of use. But the one I use as my main key seems to be as the video I watched said. Slightly twisted and this is the reason that it seems to get stuck when turning its not that it wont remove ect just sticks when starting up.

Anyhow I just wanted to share this incase anyone else experiences this and isn't sure what the cause maybe. Just take a look at the metal part and see if its twisted and also if you are wise do not use china copy keys because they are very poor quality.

Flip key to replace the twisted key.
These have been around a while now and looks to be a great idea for a replacement key.
Would the old unit change over easy?
s-l400.jpeg

Flip key to replace the twisted key.
These have been around a while now and looks to be a great idea for a replacement key.
Would the old unit change over easy?View attachment 63114
I see no reason why not, if (a) you recode the door unlocking (all keys have to be done at once) and more importantly, the NATS security chip can be swapped from one of the existing keys, which would remove the necessity to get the key NATS recoded by a Nissan main stealer...

My daughter has had a couple of P12 Primeras, the first one got scrapped but we kept the keys . The key is different to the Micra K12 key in that it is in two distinct parts. The electronic fob, which locks and unlocks the doors and the key section which houses the NATS security chip (the green bit in the picture) which is coded to the vehicle VIN .
Primera key2.jpg
Primera key1.jpg

I fitted new buttons to the electronic circuit boards in the fobs and we then coded those to her car so she has spares. The NATS chip though can only be coded by a Nissan main stealer or someone with the high level Nissan programming kit and it may be that only a new 'virgin' chip can be encoded and not one that has already been used once....
I had a quick look inside my spare K12 key but couldn't see a separate stand alone NATS chip like the one in the Primera key, but didn't lift the circuit out to look under it....
edit:- Is the flip key that you have pictured specifically for the K12 Micra? If not, as the complete circuit board inside has to be swapped over, it probably wont work...:confused:

Last edited:
In description it says they swap over and shows a picture of k12 key then this new flip key.
I just wanted to know if the chip is glued in place. Since I don't want to damage the old fob.
Have only ever opened one to see what was inside it didn't have the circuit board just the chip.
I can't remember if it was glued in or not.

Last edited:
In description it says they swap over and shows a picture of k12 key then this new flip key.
I just wanted to know if the chip is glued in place. Since I don't want to damage the old fob.
Have only ever opened one to see what was inside it didn't have the circuit board just the chip.
I can't remember if it was glued in or not.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app
AFAIK, on the K12 two button key, the NATS security chip is on the switch circuit board that you swap over when changing the key casing, unlike the P12 key which has a separate, stand alone, chip in the key body, so looks to be a simple swap over of the circuit and battery from the old key, not forgetting to get the new key blank cut to match the old key blade.... might just get one for the spare key, have found them HERE on ebay, UK stock, or almost half that for ones sent from Hong Kong....I think that I would get the key blank cut first and prove that it unlocks the passenger door OK (you have found the hidden key slot I assume?), then if that is OK, swap over the 'guts' of the fob.....

I have just googled this item. Watched one video showing that the blade can be inserted. And the Blanc can be removed.
This is on some not all models of flip key. So if you wish to use existing blade that option is possible also.
That I am surprised is possible.

One thing to note there are no Nissan logo on these items.

I have just googled this item. Watched one video showing that the blade can be inserted. And the Blanc can be removed.
This is on some not all models of flip key. So if you wish to use existing blade that option is possible also.
That I am surprised is possible.

One thing to note there are no Nissan logo on these items.
The one I linked to appears to have a recess on the back to take the logo from the OEM key.....
s-l1600.jpg

Back