Sticky Clutch Pedal

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Hi guys

Recently I've noticed my clutch pedal sticking slightly when lifting.

You can press it up and down quickly without a problem and it does spring back.

When lifting slowly in traffic the pedal seems to stick then suddenly try and jump up when I lift my foot. Bit of a challenge in traffic.

Here's a (poor) video which demonstrates the noise which sounds like a creaking.

Would you say this is a release bearing problem?
Or is it possible the cable is needing a lube job?

If too much grease was applied to the release bearing collar, clutch dust would bind to it creating a thick viscous draggy goop.

This will make it harder for the bearing to slide along. So the pressure plate will have a harder time pushing the bearing back before engaging the clutch, and the drivers clutch pedal will have a harder time pushing the bearing in to disengage the clutch.

This extra stress makes the pedal feel very stiff and begins to creak under strain until eventually the cable or riveted cable ends shear off suddenly.

If too much grease was applied to the release bearing collar, clutch dust would bind to it creating a thick viscous draggy goop.

This will make it harder for the bearing to slide along. So the pressure plate will have a harder time pushing the bearing back before engaging the clutch, and the drivers clutch pedal will have a harder time pushing the bearing in to disengage the clutch.

This extra stress makes the pedal feel very stiff and begins to creak under strain until eventually the cable or riveted cable ends shear off suddenly.
This seems the likely cause... I think the face was greased when the bearing was put in.

I'm guessing it's a gearbox off jobby and possibly a new bearing?

If the release bearing ain't noisy when engaged and is still healthy then its not essential to replace it.
Just remove gearbox, remove release bearing, clean the sliding collar surface & input shaft with carb/brake cleaner, assess the surface condition, regrease collar & input shaft with just a very light smear (I prefer graphite powder) and reinstall.

my guess would be cable scott :)
I'm with you on that one Frank. If you can feel a slight grating through the pedal before it springs back - your cables going to break. Carry a spare nipple with grub screws with you just in case. Clutch cable quite cheap £25-£40.
As frank said, have a look at the ends - then you'll know.

after my cable rivet end snapped, here's how I strengthened the clutch cable ends

76180868.jpg

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6#post-407293

dsc07668r.jpg

http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-71#post-553500

Back