Sticky accelerator pedal

My daughter has started to complain about the accelerator pedal sticking at times. It appears to be when sat in traffic and wanting to pull away, when you have to "blip" the pedal before letting the clutch out, or if cruising and then wanting to accelerate to overtake. Once you break the "stickyness", it then seems to work fine, and it never sticks when decelerating.

I've tried the obvious of lubing the pedal spring, but it has not helped at all.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the throttle cable isnt sticking inside its cover. As far as i'm aware there is no spring on the acc pedal, the spring action on the TB does the pedal return to position.

superls

K10 Tuner
this happened on my friends almera, it wasnt every time tho, only every so often,

never got to the bottom of it tho.

pollyp

Club Member
if it's feels like its just sticking for the initial 5deg and fine throughout the pedal stroke, sounds like the TB butterfly stop needs adjusting or the butterfly needs cleaning.

if the TB stop is set too short and the butterfly is closed too far, it jams and sticks against the TB wall.

over time the build up of dirt or oil deposits on the butterfly edge also causes them to stick.

so i suggest taking out and clean the TB butterfly valve with carb cleaner and make sure afterwards check the throttle doesn't stick when closed. increase the throttle stop if its sticking slightly.

if the pedal feels resistive throughout the pedal stroke then the cable needs lubing

OP
OP
T
Thanks guys.

Sorry to be a luddite, but what is the "TB"?

The pedal only sticks initially, and once you "blip" the accelerator it works fine with little resitance, until the next time that is!

frank

Club Member
throttlebody timbo, and like paul said the butterfly will stick if it is closing too far, and there is a waxstat fast idle mechanism that can catch the throttle quadrant if not set right

OP
OP
T
Thanks everyone.

Having had a quick look, I take it the TB is located beneath the air filter housing. Is there anything to be wary of when taking this housing off to access the TB?