steering wheel off set, advice please?

hi folks, after four months looking to replace my last micra, I got what appears to be a decent one via ebay for £400, runs nicely and generally fine, the only thing wrong is steering wheel very off centre; I assumed maybe tracking, but the car is not pulling or veering at all, and tyre wear looks even. it got new front shocks for last mot; I don't fancy taking the wheel off personally with an air bag, so wonder if anybody has any thoughts on what it can be?
thanks for any advice
dave

Last edited:
if its only slightly out you just need to adjust the trackrod ends dave, 1 inwards and 1 outwards
thanks for reply frank, theres a £15 wheel alignment offer at national just now, so thought it might do no harm to get it checked, would that centre the wheel do you think? the car doesn't look like its had a hard life, wheels aren't dinged or anything, a bit odd, tbh I'm kind of used to it already, but I know it will bug me!

yes it sounds like the car was tracked but they did,nt center the wheel very well when they did it mate

I had mine tracked, to offset my steering wheel to the right. As I do a lot of motorway driving it allows me to lean my arm on the door rest and have my hand comfortably on the wheel. I'm so lazy.

took my voucher to national, they say the passenger side lower suspension arm bushes are knackered, (the steering wheel is offset to the right) and they cant adjust the tracking; quoted me £120 to replace the arm and do the tracking; I'm sure I heard him say the part is £15, does the explanation sound possible to cure the problem before I look around for a cheaper price, or am I being ripped off? thanks dave

You should replace both arms really. If ones gone, then the other won't be far behind. It's an easy fix yourself. You can get them both for £50, then just get the tracking done.

OK, thought I would update you on the off set steering wheel, I took car as suggested for second opinion to nearest farmer auto care, and guys got it upon lift, guess what, passenger side suspension arm bushes fine! the other suspension arm had been replaced fairly recently, and probably had knocked off the alignment, which hadn't been re done; £25 later, straight steering wheel, SO straight back to local National Tyres to ask why they tried to rip me off for £129, yeh you've guessed it, lot of bull**** about slightly loose bush can only apologise etc; just about to do a formal complaint to their head office, and last of my business they will get; thanks for the advice guys

Back