steering squeal

davedaveld

Ex. Club Member
I have a lot of squealing from my steering but only when I start up and steer as soon as my engine warns just a little bit it stops but is quite loud any ideas how to stop it

pollyp

Club Member
loosen the tensioner pulley axle nut, adjust the threaded tensioner rod up/down (anticlock = pulley up = tighter belt), tighten the pulley nut.

loosen the tensioner pulley axle nut, adjust the threaded tensioner rod up/down (anticlock = pulley up = tighter belt), tighten the pulley nut.

I looked at this on mine today and i cant find the tensioner bolt, looking at the haynes manual picture there is no bolt where it says there should be! Did certain models have different adjuster or none at all? mine has the same problem and the belt is slipping when i turn the wheels but only when the engine is cold, Im rather confused :confused:

pollyp

Club Member
there's normally an idler pulley at the lower back of the engine that tensions the belt as seen in this illustration from nissan4u.com

14032721447169.png

note the PAS idler pulley Pushes to tension while non-PAS pulleys Pull to tension

here's a pic of a non-PAS idler pulley. the PAS pulley is slightly different with a vertical adjusting thread.
don't have a pic of mine but will take a pic soon

note the nut in the middle of the pulley axle is to lock it in position while the petruding bolt head shaft nearby is for moving the pulley up/down.

24486905.jpg

andy

Ex. Club Member
i think this may be the same thing my brother is having a problem with on his micra ...the steering is screaching when you move the streering when the car is idleing.....

mmmmmmmmmm..cheers polly