steering problem?

Driving home today i noticed the steering had become very clunky when turning right, and felt quite stiff. checked cv's (fine) boots on the s/rack seem ok. pulled over on the side of road and turned the wheel lock to lock. drove off again and the problem had gone :suspect: Cant quite work out whats going on, anyone have any suggestions?
thanks.

Sounds like a U/J in the steering shaft either siezed or about to. Find it and fix it sooner rather than later as a steering wheel that suddenly won't turn the way you want it to is not a nice experience.

Iain

thanks for that. i take U/J is the universal joint? do you know how to go about changing it?
cheers.

Not specifically on a Micra as I've never even been under the bonnet of one. Generally on steering shafts they aren't replaceable so you need to get the whole shaft assembly. Again generally it'll be on a spline at one end and maybe a clamp onto a triangular shaft at the other end.

Iain

thanks for your replies guys.
all sorted now, it turned out to be a cv that had collapsed, not very happy considering it's brand new and was only fitted a few weeks ago!
will be sending that back! grr
cheers.

Back