Steering Problem

-AdaM-

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Ive fitted the coilovers and its now pulling severly to the right randomly, weve done the tracking and got the camber exactly the same on both sides and now im stuck for ideas lol :glare:

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
im thinking its because we have absolutely crap roads... my car does the same been tracked and balanced and still does it on the exact same bits of the road try going up and down a couple of roads three times like a race track for example if it pulls on the same bit of road at the same speed your looking at Mr. Brown for answers :p

OP
OP
-AdaM-

-AdaM-

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
haha shall try that, but im starting to think it could have something to do with not having an adjustable panhard on. :S

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
haha shall try that, but im starting to think it could have something to do with not having an adjustable panhard on. :S
what does an adjustable panhard rod actually do? i though it was like a lower anti roll bar.... which i also dont know what it does?! (where is frank when you need him?) :p

OP
OP
-AdaM-

-AdaM-

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
lol im not sure what it does but i think its surposed to pull the back wheel back inline with the front ones, i could however be very wrong lol!

frank

Club Member
what does an adjustable panhard rod actually do? i though it was like a lower anti roll bar.... which i also dont know what it does?! (where is frank when you need him?) :p

lol, it stops the sideways shift on the back axle shaun, i would,nt think it would cause a steering pull personally (a heavily laden k11 will sit the same as a lowered one in theory, without suffering a steering pull imo)

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
lol, it stops the sideways shift on the back axle shaun, i would,nt think it would cause a steering pull personally (a heavily laden k11 will sit the same as a lowered one in theory, without suffering a steering pull imo)
amazing its like you know when your name is mentioned! all amazingness aside... are we looking at gordon brown or a steering/suspension problem?

frank

Club Member
ooh so i was kind of right lol, any ideas for the steering pull frank?

i usually find a pull is caused by one front wheel being further back adam (stagger) or else a caster problem, but wide wheels and zero toe-in can make matters worse tho eh

OP
OP
-AdaM-

-AdaM-

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
we have set the toe so it toes in a little, so its looking like it could be a caster problem?

OP
OP
-AdaM-

-AdaM-

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
yeah i suppose it may be a simple thing like tryes :S why the toe out if you dont mind me asking frank? and how would i go about adjusting the caster?

Cheers Adam

frank

Club Member
i dont know really adam :wasntme: but front wheel drive cars should have toe-out in theory (my understanding is as you apply power the rubbers give a bit and the whishbones/wheels creep forward slightly reducing the toe-out to near zero) but the spec is toe-in i believe so.... dunno lol
and whiteline do caster mounts eh, you could try fitting one side only ? (or else ghetto bend the rear bracket/clamp

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
been reading online frank you are right as usual toe out (negative) is best for cornering/stability as apparantly the wheels straighten up in motion (what you said)
have noticed people online mentioning that the steering only has to be a few degrees out for it to pull :(
good luck adam!

pollyp

Club Member
first check none of ur brakes are binding more than each other cos that causes the car to steer slightly towards the side with most binding/braking.

if you've lowered the suspension, you need an adjustable panhard rod and centre the axle to the chassis (both wheels are evenly spaced from the chassis panel)
if the axle is skewed offset, the rear multi-link setup means that both rear wheels would be pointing a fraction off-centre depending on how much it's skewed

the stock front castor geometry is what self straightens the front wheels relative to the car and can't be adjusted easily.

the adjustment of the steering rod ends mainly affect just how much toe and scrubbing the front wheels have and what angle the steering wheels at relative to wheels direction (ie car drives straight but steering wheel is pointing at 11clock/1clock)

^tis not a definate explanation but just from what i find