Steering problem

While im at it, i may aswell bombard you all with questions lol :p
My 2004 1.0 K12, is pulling fairly badly to the left on even the flattest road surfaces...

the passenger side front tire is wearing on its outer face
I have had the car tracked twice at 2 different garages
I have checked the tracking with a straight edge at home and it looks fine
I have just had 4 new tires fitted and they are all the same brand and have all been balanced
Suspension all seems in good shape

I recently changed the steering wheel and was out of alignment at first but i removed and refitted it straighter... there was no master spline on it so i have no idea if it is perfect or ever so slightly out...

Just wondering have i maybe inadvertently upset something while changing the wheel? Or has anyone else suffered from the steering pulling like this?

Any info would be great, thanks guys :D (Y):blues:

I'l do some searching, thats a good point, its what made me think i may have upset a sensor or something while changing the steering wheel....
but the steering column, rack and arms are all still in full connection with one another and physically notdont appear to be computer controlled... i'l report back :D

Jason0121 :
The Electronic Steering System has a ASP (Absolute Steering Postion), basically it automatical pulls the vehicle to straight ahead postion, this function has taken away the mehanical infulance to acheive this, (basically, saves on tire wear, petrol etc)

But if the steering wheel hasn't been fitted on the straight ahead spline (on the EPS system) then this will look like the vehicle is pulling to a certain direction, as the Electronic Steering System will be trying to go straight ahead.
I checked around 1236789 thousand times and definitly didn't see the any mater spline?!?!

did you get the wheel geometry checked by 4 wheel laser alignment? some garages just do the old fashioned tracking by the front wheels only.
My golf had been in a kerbing incident and it took four visits to different dealers/tyre fitters to eventually find that the tracking looked fine,
but the castor/camber of the wheel was a bit out due to a shunt with a dreaded kerb!
It only showed up by laser alignment.

i considered 4 wheel alignment but i dont think this could be the cause somehow, the steering was fine when i bought the car and i put 2 sets of front tyres on it before this problem came up... I avoid potholes and kerbs like the plague, so if tracking was fine a dont see how my back wheels could be out... car was never crashed or anything... has me stumped?!?! could camber of the wheel on the car affect the dirrection? i thought it was only the camber of the road... but could be mistaken

nope... but they look in good shape too. but the N.C.T. is due in 3 weeks so im beginning to fret lol

I suppose all that road building in the south helps too, unless you are in north donegal. We north of the border look like we are still learning to build roads, and not with great success.

Did you buy the car new, or is it possible it has been damaged at a time and repaired?
Also are you running on standard rims and suspension, cos lowering, and massive rims dont help your steering geometry, bearings, etc. ................,
i know cos i ve changed tons of ball joints, wishbones, wheel bearings, rear torsion beam axles for the fast and furious street racer brigade

road building? lol from all that flooding recently were lucky to have any roads left! there was pictures in the local paper this week of people literally standing waist deep in the wholes in the road around here! your a long way up in donegal though, probably a bit forgotten about though, you cant see it out through the dail window

Im the second owner but have owned the car since 07, car is totally standard, no messing around... tyres are matadors though, just not a great brand maybe? but i really think this is linked to changing the steering wheel, the problem only cropped up around then. is there anything that has to be co-ordinated while changing the wheel or is it just a visuallyl point it straight ahead?

There is a master spline, there is actuallyt 3.. One larger one and 2 smaller ones, If you have removed and refitted the steering wheel this will effect the straight ahead position.

You need to refit the steering wheel at the correct spline and then investigate why it's wrong, maybe tracking, maybe EPS set wrong, Is it RHD or LHD, check the I shaft to make sure it's got the correct one on..

Jason

Back