Steering problem after break in

R

roscoe

Hi,
Was generously given a 1992 K10 last week and was surprised at how much I enjoy driving it.
Unfortunately some theiving toerag bent the window frame and broke in last night, stole anything not nailed down and tried to break the steering lock, now when it try to drive there is a grind whenever I turn the wheel and it refuses to turn back to the original position but stays pointing whichever way the wheel was turned to.
Is there anything I can do or I need to find a scrappy with a steering column?
Thanks in advance.

that really boils my hiss when the non humals cause us so much grief for selfish gain.

it soinds like you need a column replaced as I think the lock and the clumn are rivited together as one.....

Im not sure though but some one in here will know for sure

Hoe you get it sorted mate

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
is the ignition barrel still on? but bent? if so it might just be the barrel causing the rubbing, its held on by 2 sheer bolts which are easily removed with a punch and hammer

james betley

Ex. Club Member
i had the same problem i had the car hot wired they smash the surround on it did some other dammage they took out the end of the ignition barrol try 2 started it and had no look so they riped out the door speekers smatch the glove box open took stuff out of it cos i disconected the bettery every night and made a hugh mess inside so i know what it is like 2 get the car broke into hope u get it sorted soon

OP
OP
R

roscoe

Thanks for the responses.
The ignition barrel seems fine, I am assuming that they tried to force the steering lock and something has either jammed or bent. Will try to pop off the barrel if nothing else comes up. Ta.