Steering feels too light

I have owned my darling 06 Micra sport+ for 6 years and she's always been a pleasure to drive. The last few months, I have been noticing a problem with the steering and it's getting more frequent so I'm beginning to worry.

When turning corners (doesn't matter if its a 2mph or 30mph) the steering feels like it's slipping a bit when turning the wheel, almost like I'm driving on ice. I'm turning the wheel and it all of a sudden jolts and turns more that it should...but I feel like I'm having to oversteer when turning.

I've had new tyres, pressure and tracking checked. Help!!

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
Mmmm, that's an interesting one.

Could be the motor winding, torque control or Vehicle CAN issue. Has it ever had a steering failure with a MIL lamp on.

Jason.

Mmmm, that's an interesting one.

Could be the motor winding, torque control or Vehicle CAN issue. Has it ever had a steering failure with a MIL lamp on.

Jason.
Oh Jesus...I have no idea what any of those things mean!!
None of my warning lights have ever come on.
I spoke to my mechanic who suggested getting the new tyres and the tracking done (£180 later) and the problem still happens. I'm not sure if I want to book it in with him and spend more money on the car. If it's the power steering unit like another mechanic suggested, it looks £700+ to fix.
I'd be heart broken if I had to scrap her :( :(

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
I could look at the eps for you, and might be able to see what's going on. And you can buy one from the scrap yard for £40 - £50 and I can reprogram to match your car. They are quite easy to fit, anyone with alittle mechanical background can fit one. But I live in Birmingham. !!!