Steering Clunk

OP
OP
welshblob
If not coil, other thing to check is the steering tie rod ball joints.

Will do. Also just dug this out from the last MOT as advisories;

Nearside Front drop link slight play
Front Inner tie rod arms slight play n/s and o/s

Not sure if connected but will hopefully get a chance to have a poke around tomorrow. It's my brothers car and I'm home visiting this weekend and just got his front tyres sorted and discovered this whilst taking it to the garage!

Have a look at the link below it might be helpful.
The thing found that I'm going to be using in future is to use my phone on the floor and roll back and forwards while the video is rolling to see if anything shows up obviously not crushing the phone of course that would be a bad day :LOL:
Maybe its something simple like a loose bolt on the anti roll bar.

OP
OP
welshblob
Right I think I've found the issue ......

So basically the power steering motor is missing most of its bolts other than one loose torx screw! As there have been no obvious bolts in the footwell then I assume someone has bodged this prior to my brothers taking ownership in 2018. Now have to work out what thread those bolts are. Doesn't anyone thing I can just go and get some at toolstation or are they specific to this use?

OP
OP
welshblob
As I have access to another Micra which it waiting for me to work out how to fix the ipdm, then I have taken two of the bolts out of that for the time being. I've put one in my brothers car and that has definitely fixed the issue and the steering feels really solid now. However I'm not exactly sure what thread they are, maybe m5.

It's definitely a pan head torx ~35mm with a half thread. Just not sure if its an m5 or not.

Your best try toolstation or maybe ebay use a caliper to measure the size for length.
Or you can search for the correct bolt?
The toolstation one would hold it tho until you find the correct ones.
It also looks like been moving around alot by the metal fillings on the above bolt.
Someone on here might have the answer as to whats the correct bolts for that part.
And that looks like possibly power steering has be replaced before.
An easy solution though would be visit a breakers and take the bolts that are missing.
Also check they all match with what you have because the one that holding it in place "may not be an original"
"Would also question what work has been done around the rest of the car because that's a major saftey issue" .

Possibly looks to be m4 or m5 bolt that you are showing.
You can check that by diameter of the bolt.
Usually I just use my tap n die kit to figure out the thread pitch on unknown bolts.
They are fine thread by looks of them.

OP
OP
welshblob
Possibly looks to be m4 or m5 bolt that you are showing.
You can check that by diameter of the bolt.
Usually I just use my tap n die kit to figure out the thread pitch on unknown bolts.
They are fine thread by looks of them.

Yeah I've just dug out my dad's old nut and bolt box to try and see what fits. It measures about 5mm diameter looking at the tape measure. Unfortunately my caliper and tap and die set are back at my home 180 miles away along with my bigger collection of nuts and bolts, sods law!

I also think that this has probably been replaced before which I guess is good news although its very odd to have missed out fitting the bolts. And yes it does question other work that has been carried out on the car but my brother has had it 3 years now and we haven't spotted anything else like this. Although it was annoying when I asked my brother why he hasn't mentioned the steering clanking and him saying "its always been like that" which as far as I'm concerned it was not clanking like that when we bought it.

They are, more were torque bolts? So maybe they were destroyed upon removal of the part.
Since not everyone has those tools at hand.
Also I noticed that you have said the motor is missing yet the cluster was not displaying a power steering light.
Not saying it will but with that missing I imagine it would be illuminated.

OP
OP
welshblob
They are, more were torque bolts? So maybe they were destroyed upon removal of the part.
Since not everyone has those tools at hand.
Also I noticed that you have said the motor is missing yet the cluster was not displaying a power steering light.
Not saying it will but with that missing I imagine it would be illuminated.
No sorry I've just re-read what I said above and its not the best english, its just the bolts that are missing and the power steering appears to be working fine, touch wood! The bolts came out easily on my "parts" car so odd that they would be destroyed.

OP
OP
welshblob
Omg, I think I’m having a nervous breakdown!
Its a strange one. I can only assume the single torx screw was holding it all together and has worked itself loose! I need to check whether that torx screw is on my "parts" car. I have some 35mm m5 torx screws on the way.

huttojb

Club Member
EPS System Guru
There’s 4 screws holding the column to the gearbox, 3 at the rear and one at the front.

I’d be worried if the active straight ahead position, someone has removed the column and most likely has not put it back correctly. Make sure there’s no side load as this could cause faults or self steer.
Look at my post, I’ve ranted about this in the past.

OP
OP
welshblob
There’s 4 screws holding the column to the gearbox, 3 at the rear and one at the front.

I’d be worried if the active straight ahead position, someone has removed the column and most likely has not put it back correctly. Make sure there’s no side load as this could cause faults or self steer.
Look at my post, I’ve ranted about this in the past.
So from what I've read in your thread then side load could displace the torque sensor disc causing failure/heavy/light/oversteer/self steering. Self steering sounds quite scary and unlikely to be able to be corrected by the driver given the torque and gearing of the motor. How do I avoid side load given I'm just putting the 3 screws that are missing?

OP
OP
welshblob
Also found this popped up in my yt feeds which might help some people. Although I assume this is the failed unit, not sure if there is a better way of refitting to avoid any issues with the torque sensor.

OP
OP
welshblob
Did you fit the 4th?
The 4th I was already there and was holding it all together but had become loose. So that has been tightened.

Out of interest is there an exploded parts diagram for this column kicking around on the internet somewhere. I found on in the k12 service manual but it was a bit limited.