Starter Problem

I have a 1998 1.3 manual with an occasional starting problem. It was working fine untill a few weeks ago when there was suddenly no response to turning the key. After a few goes it eventually started. The problem is now occuring on a more regular basis. The battery is new and when working it starts before the engine has turned over once. There is no "click" from the starter, but there is a slight flicker from the ignition light when turning the key which suggests that there is power going to the solenoid if not the motor itself. The one time I could not bump start it I clouted the solenoid with a tyre lever and started straight away which points to this being the problem, which leads to the questions.

1) If it's the solenoid, can it be disassembled and cleaned/lubed
2) Can it be replaced or has it got to be a whole new motor
3) Are the solenoid's a weak area and likely to be knackered on one from the scrappy
4) Are all the motors the same or are only motors from a pre coilpack manual suitable
5) Any other idea's greatfully accepted.

Thank you

Probably cheaper to get a used one from a member im sure there are a few about.

Sounds like a starter fault... Agreed, imo always worth checking the power and earth cable and ign switch. ( unless your sure its the starter. )

Did you get it fixed? I've got a similar problem

QUOTE="knobbly69, post: 585393, member: 8925"]
I have a 1998 1.3 manual with an occasional starting problem. It was working fine untill a few weeks ago when there was suddenly no response to turning the key. After a few goes it eventually started. The problem is now occuring on a more regular basis. The battery is new and when working it starts before the engine has turned over once. There is no "click" from the starter, but there is a slight flicker from the ignition light when turning the key which suggests that there is power going to the solenoid if not the motor itself. The one time I could not bump start it I clouted the solenoid with a tyre lever and started straight away which points to this being the problem, which leads to the questions.

1) If it's the solenoid, can it be disassembled and cleaned/lubed
2) Can it be replaced or has it got to be a whole new motor
3) Are the solenoid's a weak area and likely to be knackered on one from the scrappy
4) Are all the motors the same or are only motors from a pre coilpack manual suitable
5) Any other idea's greatfully accepted.

Thank you
[/QUOTE]

Back