• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Starter motor issue or is it ?

Hi there

A week ago my 2014 (64 reg) Nissan Micra K13 started having issues with what I though at first was my battery ... not starting

So I purchased a new battery at Halfords and whilst testing to see if it fixed it, it still struggled to turn a little bit

So Halfords guy suggested it could be the starter motor. So I took it to the garage and they are saying it could be the starter motor or could be the ignition. They're advising I take it to Nissan dealer for full diagnostics

Has anyone had similar issues or has any advice for me ?

Many thanks in advance.

Abs

Last edited:

SplanK

Site Supporter
What are the exact symptoms?

Does the engine turn over? You say 'still struggled to turn a little bit', could you elaborate?

Does it sound different during start-up, or normal but taking longer than normal?

You dont mention which engine you have?

What are the exact symptoms?

Does the engine turn over? You say 'still struggled to turn a little bit', could you elaborate?

Does it sound different during start-up, or normal but taking longer than normal?

You dont mention which engine you have?
Hey there.

Yep .. it's a 1.2 K13 Visia auto

Normally with one turn of the key engine would start normally ..no problem

What I found in the past week is either it takes 2 or 3 go's for the engine to start or the engine does not start at all and I have to use jump leads to start it

It definitely sounds different during start up making a cranky sound.

First I thought it was a weak battery but when I tried it with a new battery it still struggled to start up

Hope this makes sense. Cheers.

SplanK

Site Supporter
If you are having to jump start it from another car/booster pack, then my first go to would be the battery! Unless you are having to crank excessively which is then draining the battery.

Never assume a new part is good - it is entirely possible to purchase a new part which is already defective! My initial checks would be battery voltage (charge if low), and once running, check the voltage to ensure that its being charged.

If the battery is ok, and you are having to jump it because of excessive cranking, then there are a while host of things that could prevent the car from firing up. Some of these may throw an engine light, some may not. Does it sound ok and drive ok when you eventually get it going?

It sounds like that garage you took it too simply wasn't interested in dealing with the issue - some of them are lazy and if the issue isn't clear cut then they dont want to know! If you are not mechanically minded, or know somebody that is, then I would be considering an alternative garage first before considering a Nissan dealer.

Hey there.

What I found in the past week is either it takes 2 or 3 go's for the engine to start or the engine does not start at all and I have to use jump leads to start it

First I thought it was a weak battery but when I tried it with a new battery it still struggled to start up

Have you tried starting it when all the electronics are turned off for example the radio and the AC? And does it help starting it at all? I have the same issue on my K12, the battery is brand new. Cold weather seems to make it even harder to start the car sometimes. It might just be that the battery capacity is low, and it doesn't help that I usually drive short distances.

Hey there.

Hello, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? thanks