Started to take off my suspension and this happens!!! :(

mickey&me

Site Supporter
Today i thought i would take my suspension off (D2 coilovers) in the rear of the car to clean, i got half way through and noticed this happened. I knew the rear axle was rusting but i didnt know it was this bad......

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Micraholic/Nissan Micra Super S -Mickey-/19062009095.jpg

Now my questions are:

1) Do i need to replace the whole rear axle to make the car safe and back on the road?

2) How much do you guys and girls think it will cost????

Thanks in advance
Ash - Mickey&me

frank

Club Member
thats in a bad way ash :eek: it looks like the anti-rollbar is the only thing holding the axle in place !
you,ll soon find another axle, but the bushes tend to rust up solid :suspect: and they can be a right mission to change over

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Yeouch!! It's a good job that came up when it did, rather than you ending up in a serious accident. As Frank said, you will be able to pickup an axle easily. Matt Humphris may even have some in good order just laying around, (01865 748000).

The bushes do rust up, the best way to get them off without damaging things with angle grinders/drilling is to cut the outside casings off with a dremel, cut the bush rubber off to leave the inner casing, (large hacksaw blade works well). Then it's time to get a blowtorch with MAPP gas, nothing else is hot enough. Get the casing just to cherry red, (which doesn't take long with MAPP), then get a pair of stilsons on the casing and a socket wrench on the bolt and crank it......it'll break free.....best thing is to have a helping hand so someone can hammer the bolt end to get it through the bush casing while you're doing the wrench work......as it goes flush a drift will help it through the rest of the way until clear. It will get tight again when it cools, so a few re applications of heat maybe needed.

It's a total mission but it's the only way I got every bush off my car when it was re-built, (rear axle and front wishbones), without damaging the chassis mounts with grinders or the other method of drilling them out, as the drill can wonder and then you end up with ovalled mount holes which require brazing to correct.

That aside, you maybe one of these jammy individuals whose bolts come undone, but judging by that corrosion, I don't think that will be the case :(

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
WOW :eek: That could have been a bad accident! Just out of interest why is there a pad zip tied around your panhard rod?

OP
OP
mickey&me

mickey&me

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info everyone, the thing is i have no idea if i could do this myself.... as i am an intermediate in these things. Getting a rear axle from Matt Humpries? i can do that but i will not be able to fit it. Plus if anyone knows anyone whom can fix it for me with the less amount of cash will be much appreciated.

I just drove the car once yesterday and some clonking sound occured when going over bumps especially with the coilover stifness i have on the car, So i thought maybe one the the shocks may have leaked all the oil out, but this is kinda worse i guess.

modded micra: that pad is there so my exhaust dont hit the panhard rod when i have a load in the back seats lol

OP
OP
mickey&me

mickey&me

Site Supporter
PS: dont worry i wont be driving that car for maybe a long time, i have my Almera GTi im gonna have to make due, but id like to get it fixed as someone is interested in buying as a project ..... but with the rear axle intact! :(

passed MOT in feb 2009 by the way and nothing was said!!! never going to trust them again!!!!

OP
OP
mickey&me

mickey&me

Site Supporter
If the car is too expensive to repair, im gonna have to break it! oh well, I absolutely loved that car, had so much fun. goes to show good things never last!

Anyone gonna give me an idea on how much you think it will cost?

OP
OP
mickey&me

mickey&me

Site Supporter
Thanx for that frank, it maybe too much so it looks like ill have to break it.... + the car wont last for much longer as rust has literally taken it over

watch this space i might be starting to break it soon...

Keep an eye on the buy and sell area everyone

Thanks

frank

Club Member
another micra defeated by rust :(

another micra left to rust away sadly imo :(
any 10+yr old car will be showing rust, you have to gain access to the inside of the sills and get under the car and spray some chainlube or shutz on any rust you find (and brakepipes, and x member), and the body will last FAR longer :suspect: