Start off simple!

As an apprentice, the mechanic who was burdened with me used to always say 'Never assume anything, always start off simple.'

I didn't!

Before I go on, I have to point out, I am an experienced and successful mechanic. I have loads of certificates and happy customers to prove it. Not trying to be a smart @rse but I've worked hard and I'm proud of it! LOL!

Anyway, I undone the lot today. I have an R reg K11 Auto I am fixing up to sell. I bought it as an MOT failure, drove it 17 miles home then 12 miles into my workshop the next day. It drove perfectly.

Next day I tried to move it. It started then cut out. Having a look under the bonnet I immediatly jumped to a diagnosis. The small fuse box for the headlamps etc. was a melted blob. In the 10 seconds I spent diagnosing it I had decided the fuse that controls the injectors had melted within the box.

Few days later, armed with a soldering iron and a fuse box from the scrapyard I set to work. Replaced the fusebox, soldered and insulated all the wires, replaced the headlamp bulb plugs and cleaned up the earth lead. Built it all back up, turned the key and it started!

Then cut out, same as before!

So rather than do it properly I jumped to another diagnosis! 'Perhaps the throttle body is faulty' I thought. Popped the side off, resoldered the connections, rebuilt it, turned the key and it started!

Then cut out, same as before!

Plugged the compter in, code 55 all's well. Quick look at the data list, all looked ok. Pulled a spark plug lead out, checked for a spark. Plug sparking even after the engine had cut out. Lifted the rear seat and listened to the fuel pump. Pump still motoring for a second or so after it cuts out. Not that either.

So...

Had a fag, some tea and a think.

Then realised there wasn't any petrol in the bl**dy thing!

I am only typing this because this thread and the resulting laughter and embarrasment will serve as a reminder to listen to people who are better mechanics than I ever could be!

just some thing to tell the grand kids when there older and have a laugh in the pub. live and learn all ya life my dad told me

yes but on the up side your error lead to the rectification of at least 3 common faults that could develope for the next owner that now wont.

so its not all bad.

Oh, everyone was gonna say petrol....

Except when I was trying to fix it! LOL!

Running like a dream now!

Well, a dream with a K11 in it anyway!

hahahaha, oh wow if i had a penny for every time i have done that, i would have enough money to pay someone more skilled to fix my car!

Back