Starlet 1.3 engine vs CG13DE

I was doing some homework about starlet 1.3 engines so I feel like i want to put starlet 1.3 engine in my micra.

If I use cg 1.3 turbo so it will be reach up to 180/200 bhp

If I use starlet 1.3 turbo so it will be reach up to more than 250/350 bhp.

I don't understand why starlet 1.3 engines are most powerful than cg 1.3 engines.

Please can anyone explain for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J
So you saying is that Micras are better than starlet engines then? I should go for cg13det then?

drand

1st Micraversary!
I can't comment about turbo engines, but I have had a stock 1.3 Starlet and and my current 1.3 Micra. The 4E-FE in the starlet was nice and driveable at the low end but pretty gutless thereafter. The CG13DE in the Micra is almost as torquey low down and better in the mid and high range, so for me it's a better engine. I don't know how the 4E-FTE differs internally but as has been said it's been designed with FI in mind.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I was doing some homework about starlet 1.3 engines so I feel like i want to put starlet 1.3 engine in my micra.

I don't understand why starlet 1.3 engines are most powerful than cg 1.3 engines.

Big task. You have binned two cars previously for less work probably mate.

SirChris

Educated Bodger

Safe CG turbo and reliable is 130-140 at wheels

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Starlet engines are well developed, everything is off the shelf and easily achievable. They make good power even though the combustion chambers are a little way from ideal, (valve shrouding). Bottom line, they were turbocharged from the factory, so are more out of the box suited as already mentioned.

CG engines, other than being novel, are an uphill struggle power wise. You can get very similar results CC for CC, (CGA3DE v's 4EFTE), with a similar sized turbo etc but the required input in terms of effort and cost is significantly higher as literally everything is bespoke.

OP
OP
J
I will read it later on so I got a few problems with my micra. I will come back later on guys. Thanks

OP
OP
J
Thanks Guys. I will stick with cg13det in the future. If I want to get starlet then I will need to buy whole car about £3/4 grands. :/

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Starlet engines have low comp pistons to deal with boost and direct injection. they are a much better engine.

You are lucky to get 180 out of a cg without problems. starlet engines seem to run 240ish all day long on a td04, they seem to spool up a td04 nicely as well. Anything behind 260 you need to forge the internals which means the sky is the limit then. I still got a love for the standard ct9s you can push standard ones to 180 all day long and they are a tiny turbo. Apparently the tongs hybrid ct9s can see up to 230 with great spool time.

Micras just are crap with power, you get good power then the gearbox just starts to poo itself.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
But they struggle after 200hp Chris (or so I've read)... After that there's trouble
When were taking 230-260hp the Nissan box is plop.

4E-FTE in terms of tuning is the superior engine.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
If I was going to do it all again... Sr20. If you are going to make shafts and all that stuff. What's that thing Andy says. No replacement for displacement. Plus good Stock of parts. Let's face it anyway, all this chat but how many people will even push the stock gearboxes or Micra parts.

frank

Club Member
SR20 is a lot of work tho ! i would,nt change a thing on mine now, SR20 performance with CG running costs, and you dont need a good stock of parts if you run a bog stock engine/box :)

SirChris

Educated Bodger
SR20 is a lot of work tho ! i would,nt change a thing on mine now, SR20 performance with CG running costs, and you dont need a good stock of parts if you run a bog stock engine/box :)
But you are talking about staying at 130. We are taking about the limits of things. CG limit is 130 for a reliable setup. If sr20 is a lot of work, so would the starlet swap like jk suggested. Swings and roundabouts. But If you are going to through the trouble Toyota or whatever engine surely the biggest displacement with cheapest of shelf parts?

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Later type boxes used on the coilpack engines are much better. A much heavier better built box. Yes, not built from the factory for mega power but a much better box all the same and man enough to deal with 200+bhp and 200+lb/ft. Will they for 100,000miles? Of course not ;)

Biggest problem is people have a poor driving style and when something fails, they blame the tools. It's the transient loads people need to watch. Give the car full throttle everywhere and spin the wheels and you're going to give the gearbox and driveshafts a much harder time and SIGNIFICANTLY increase the likelihood of something failing. Theres several instances of that happening to learn from, from busted gears, broken shafts and even snapped crown pinions.

What's worth adding is, if you speak to Elite Racing who have been heavily involved on the many re-builds on the White ex Gimbert turbo K11, their 2p worth is pretty much identical to the above.

Nice thing with the 4EFTE is you have a better starting point and a higher margin of safety to play in from the factory. It's apples and oranges. The K11 was never designed with this in mind. Can you do it? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not...

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Later type boxes used on the coilpack engines are much better. A much heavier better built box. Yes, not built from the factory for mega power but a much better box all the same and man enough to deal with 200+bhp and 200+lb/ft. Will they for 100,000miles? Of course not ;)

Biggest problem is people have a poor driving style and when something fails, they blame the tools. It's the transient loads people need to watch. Give the car full throttle everywhere and spin the wheels and you're going to give the gearbox and driveshafts a much harder time and SIGNIFICANTLY increase the likelihood of something failing. Theres several instances of that happening to learn from, from busted gears, broken shafts and even snapped crown pinions.

What's worth adding is, if you speak to Elite Racing who have been heavily involved on the many re-builds on the White ex Gimbert turbo K11, their 2p worth is pretty much identical to the above.

Nice thing with the 4EFTE is you have a better starting point and a higher margin of safety to play in from the factory. It's apples and oranges. The K11 was never designed with this in mind. Can you do it? Yes. Is it worth it? Probably not...
Yerrrrpppp

Sure I read somewhere the CG's have plugs or something where, when it was going to be turbod from factory the oil feeds ect were going to be?

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Sure I read somewhere the CG's have plugs or something where, when it was going to be turbod from factory the oil feeds ect were going to be?
Err probs not. The plugs are not rated well for heat and if pushed hard enough could shed the shroud material. I think its called that. And the oil feed is no doubt just a ln engineers test port for oil pressure. Either way gives a good oil feed.